Sponsored by:

GT2/GT3 info

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default GT2/GT3 info

Good morning everyone. After a couple of fairly serious surgeries over about a year and a half I missed a lot of information regarding the newer cars in this category. I'm reading various classifieds and I can't get a grip on when these cars (street versions) were produced (model years and production numbers), and if they are tied to any type of "Cup" cars (used as Cup cars or for homologation puposes). Is there a good authoritative source available that discusses GT2s and 3s? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pete Z.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:00 PM
bora
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Good morning everyone. After a couple of fairly serious surgeries over about a year and a half I missed a lot of information regarding the newer cars in this category. I'm reading various classifieds and I can't get a grip on when these cars (street versions) were produced (model years and production numbers), and if they are tied to any type of "Cup" cars (used as Cup cars or for homologation puposes). Is there a good authoritative source available that discusses GT2s and 3s? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pete Z.
Both Panorama and excellence had really good articles on these cars.
The car that is tied to the cup car is the GT3 (the cup car is called GT3Cup).

But GT2 and GT3 are very much alike in suspension from what I can tell, GT2 has a lot more power and torque.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Pete Z - There are several of us on the forum who own and track both a GT2 and a GT3. Between us we should be able to answer questions. Regarding the relationship between the GT3 and the GT3 race cars:

Same chassis, C4 seam welded for added rigidity.
Engine same basic engine as the race car 3.6 L dry sump.
Transmission - same as the Cup Race car with interchangeable cogs in gears 2 thru 6.
Brakes - same as the Cup car.

In sum the street going GT3 is very similar to the Cup race car although it is heavier and more civilized.

Regards,
Old 04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Pete Z - There are several of us on the forum who own and track both a GT2 and a GT3. Between us we should be able to answer questions. Regarding the relationship between the GT3 and the GT3 race cars:

Same chassis, C4 seam welded for added rigidity.
Engine same basic engine as the race car 3.6 L dry sump.
Transmission - same as the Cup Race car with interchangeable cogs in gears 2 thru 6.
Brakes - same as the Cup car.

In sum the street going GT3 is very similar to the Cup race car although it is heavier and more civilized.

Regards,
Bob
Thats a little oversimplified. (lol)
There are 2 race cars, the GT3RSR and the GT3 Cup (in 996 and 997 versions).
The Cup cars do not have to be based on anything, they are designed for one make racing, although they do qualify for a class known as GT3, and run at Daytona, Nuerburgring, Grand-Am Rolex Series.
The real GT3 race car is the RSR, it is based on the 996 GT3 RS, a street car that was not sold in the US and only briefly in ROW. This is the car that runs in ALMS, Le Mans, FIA-GT, LMES and other top flight series.
The GT3 Cup car gets more and more like the RSR each year. The 997 Cup car is not nearly so similar to the forthcoming 997 GT3 street car as the 996 version was.
The 997 Cup has a sequential gearbox, from Australia, full Motec Datalogging and instruments (also from Australia), no ABS, and a number of other differences which will differentiate it from the road going car. Were I in America, I would be asking "will we get the 997 GT3 RS?" Even "will there be one, or will the 998 come along and make it redundent, for homologation purposes".

R+C
Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

pete-

search this forum, huge amounts of data
Old 04-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Nord - sorry I should have clarified, my comments apply to the 996 GT3 and the 993 GT3 Cup. The 997 - who knows what PAG will do. Right now the Cup cars are very similar to the GT3. It makes sense since Porsche is unlikely to build a small fleet of "one-offs" for Cup racing. On the other hand they could race something based on the Cayenne if they wanted to.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 541 Likes on 354 Posts

Welcome back Pete !

Quick Reply: GT2/GT3 info