Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell to my trusty GT3, and to this fantastic community!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:08 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
andrew's rig is sorted and in fine conditon, superbly maintained. even EJ is drooling over it [drool removed prior to delivery]
There's no way I could ever drove the car as well as she was used to. I'll just have to look elsewhere.

Good luck in the future Andrew.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
WULF
Instructor

Been away for a few days and just got back to the bad news. I was wondering lately where all Macflys regular posts had gone.

Now let this be a lesson to you all. THERE IS DANGER IN A BALANCED LIFE!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Believe it or not Mac, I too am sorry to see you do it. I really did look forward to meeting you as you obviously are as much a track junkie as me. I respect your decision as I know the feeling of facing hard decisions in life. I put the track bike into my living room as I realized I was pushing my luck and could not even think of the re percussions if I trashed myself. Not the same reason for putting love affairs with track vehicles aside............but never the less...............it is hard. I keep trying to get to the track and as yet, have been unable to do so with my car. I,m lucky if I drive it 250 miles a month. If I was smart, I would sell my car and put it towards a second home to rent out and hopefully be in grat shape down the road too.....................Instead, I just keep working on my second career..............a professional consumer that loves expensive toys...............track vehicles and ocean boats. I just spend spend spend. I doubt I will ever learn. Anyway, good luck with your pursuit................I hope it works out well! Perhaps we will meet someday and talk about these cars.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Woodster
Drifting

The z-8 is gorgeous and I am sure his wife is also, difficult but good decision.
All the best from another rennlister (and car addict).
marty k.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:04 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey guys. I am obviously new to the board. I am strongly considering buying Andrews car. Rest assured, it WILL be tracked! lol. Having the car already set-up for tracking is one of the reasons I am so interested in this car. I am an E36 M3 owner (2nd one) that tracks alot. I have instructed with a few clubs and just love to track. I am looking forward to steping into a GT3 and learning the unique dynamics and characteristics of it. I can hardly wait.

So, you will see me more and more around here, whether I buy Andrews car or not, I will get one regardless. However, his car is my first choice. Hopefully it all works out!

See you around, Tim
Old 04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Hey Tim. I've migrated over here as well.

Anyway, if I didn't have a trade to deal with, I would have already bought Fly's car. A great value for someone like you or me who will use it as a dual purpose car.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, and Craig I'll still come up to the track every now and then with the Z8 and the cameras, so I'm sure we'll meet up there one day. You'll be happy to know that I finally tried a GT2 on my last day at the track, thanks so much for that Carl!

So, Craig, as I exit stage right here are my thoughts on the 'widowmaker'.
It is a great machine, and now I fully understand both it's allure and it's treachery. The power is so abundant, but most of all it is so deceptively gentle and quiet in it's delivery that you can't really tell just how near you are to overcoming the limits of the tires. The GT3's motor is much more like motorbike's engine, and you can really feel and hear exactly what it's doing, it is much more visceral and it seems more connected to both you and the car, while the GT2 just has this incredible hand of God wall of torque whoosing you forward with so little fuss that (to me) the motor just felt less connected to the whole. What was astounding was the power, the way the car just loped off down the straights with so little commotion.

In summary I think the GT2 almost feel like an enormous electric dynamo, while the GT3, though less powerful, has all the bark and growl of an excited race motor. The thing that I think is a little frightening about the 2 is just how gentle and benign it feels in the cockpit, encouraging you to think you're going much slower that you actually are, and thus push it a lot harder than you should for the tires. Which ever you have you're onto a winner, as both are an absolute blast, so drive and be happy!!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:45 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew, you have a PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:57 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,223 Likes on 664 Posts

Hey Metal,

You have a PM as well. ;-)
Old 04-27-2005, 12:32 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Hey Frayed. How's it been? Long time no talk. Well, it is official, and I have sent Andrew a deposit check for his car. I plan on meeting her and driving her to her new home on 5/5/5. I can hardly wait. You will be seeing a lot more of me here...acting like a total noob, which I am to P-cars. But hey, thats half the fun....learning all about a new car, learning how to drive it, etc. It's gonna be fun.

See you around, Tim
Old 04-27-2005, 01:36 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats Tim. Welcome to the GT3 world. Andrew, although I never actually met you in person, you and your contributions to this board will be missed. Best of luck in your future ventures.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

congrats tim on a great car.

andrew, best of luck.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,181 Likes on 631 Posts

Tim ,i know the driver and the car well. Smart buy enjoy. carl
Old 04-27-2005, 05:19 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Good to hear. Thanks for the warm welcome. You guys will have to put up with my stupid questions for a while...lol. Until I learn the ropes at least. Tim

Quick Reply: Farewell to my trusty GT3, and to this fantastic community!