CF Decklid @ 4.5lbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quartermile
DEVEK was my source, coincidentlay shipped out today. This was a Porsche motorsports part for the 04 GT3 cup. I am not sure if GT3 RS uses Lexan but rather light weight glass (any RS owners?) The quality should be excellent as everything Porsche motorsports makes is top notch.
I didn't see a mounting section for the cooling fan. Can you install the cooling fan on the 04Cup car deck lid?

I think that the MAF can be installed with the Cup car air filter, by reducing the length on the stock rubber hose to the minimum, and installing the hose between the cup car air filter and the throttle body. The cup car air filter will be around 4" toward the rear bumper, but still taking advantadge of the Ram air.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my car the Porsche mechanic built a bracket to enable the retention of the cooling fan.
There is nowhere to mount it on the CF lid as I would imagine they wouldnt be sitting in traffic too often.
Shane
Old 04-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLee
Re the Cup carbon-fiber airbox: Correct, you would have to find a way to relocate your MAF to the back somewhere to make the Cup decklid and airbox receptor housing work. This would be VERY expensive, not saying it's impossible. Then you would have to explain to your dealer why you mod'd the MAF location and face the inevitable repercussions.

Re "where do I get" the finest Lexan for the GT3 rear hatch-- from your dealer, hopefully. Get the VIN # and try to order it as an RS part, I'm sure it will be fine; but it costs a small fortune. There are far more cost-effective ways of losing unsprung weight-- like going for ultralight wheels and the lighter Alcon, AP or Brembo rotors--and you would lose those lbs. where it matters more, down low.

If cost is no object, fire away... I'm hardly one to criticize

Lee in D.C.
2004 GT3 RS +
Well it's better to remove unsprung weight than sprung weight and unsprung weight is always low on the car. However, if you're removing sprung weight it's MUCH better to remove it from the top of the car than the bottom because this moves the CG lower. After the lightweight wheels etc, a rear window would be a very good choice in my opinion since you'll lower the CG and take weight off the heavy rear (either shifting balance forward or allowing you to take off more weight from the front and keep the same balance). However, if the dealer sourced RS window costs anywhere close to the RS carbon hood, it's not worth it. If only there was a cheaper alternative that's still high quality.

I wonder how hard it is to get stuff from Porsche's suppliers. For example, the suede momo mod07 steering wheel used in cup cars (996) and the GT3RS race car can be had for only $150 USD. However, I've heard that if you order it from Porsche it's $750. The only difference: one has Porsche written in red letters on one of the spokes of the wheel. I'll keep my $600.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

What seats are these?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Mikey
Racer

I wasn't planning to install the fan. The cup cars don't even have fans on the radiators. Since this is not a daily driver, the probability of getting stuck in traffic in the desert looks about as low as waking up to a snow storm in San Diego. Devek has been looking into the BMC filter and sees no problem. I need to locate the MAF part number as there seem to be two types on GT3s.

Justin, those are modified Sparcos ... something like 20lbs each including the mounts. It was selected by fitting 20 different seats ... Recaros, Momos, and other Sparco types.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

I wasn't planning to install the fan. The cup cars don't even have fans on the radiators. Since this is not a daily driver, the probability of getting stuck in traffic in the desert looks about as low as waking up to a snow storm in San Diego. Devek has been looking into the BMC filter and sees no problem. I need to locate the MAF part number as there seem to be two types on GT3s.

Justin, those are modified Sparcos ... something like 20lbs each including the mounts. It was selected by fitting 20 different seats ... Recaros, Momos, and other Sparco types.

So are they more comfortable than the Recaro SPGs?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by Yargk
So are they more comfortable than the Recaro SPGs?
I think Sparco by far has the best selection of seats and attachments (like lumbar support, etc.) The only thing tacky about sparcos is their advertising logos, etc. and you can see how that can be reversed out.

http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/26.pdf
Old 04-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought those were FX1's for a sec.(I was gonna ask) I'd be surprised to find em in a GT3. I just ordered a set of FX1 Pro's for my car.
~Eyal
Old 04-22-2005, 06:24 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

I thought they looked like Sparcos but wasnt sure due to the GT3 embroided in them.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I was going to start a thread about Lexan windows. I know that there are different grades and varying degrees of scratch resistance. However, the GT3RS street car gets a lexan rear window from the factory so there must be pieces available that are good enough to live with in a street car. Where do we get these pieces? I'd guess that even the highest quality "race car" stuff isn't as good as the stuff Porsche puts on the RS and Ferrari puts on the stradale, because people always warn that lexan is a pain (even if you get the scratch resistance race car stuff), but Porsche and Ferrari wouldn't want their cars to be such an annoyance.

To summarize, it really seems that there are 3 categories: bad lexan (not even scratch resistant), good quality race car lexan, and then stuff the factories would use on street cars. How do we get the 3rd? 20 pounds high up in the rear would be GREAT to lose.
uncle jack taught me all me or you need to know about lexan - use only microfiber towels, just like your car. wash car and window: dry with micro.

for the strad, i open engine lid and spray windex [most would say dum dum] on the inside and use a griots window triangle with a micro towel to wipe. 9000 miles in that strad and no window scratches and i am a SLOB

if i can do it, anyone can......

Quick Reply: CF Decklid @ 4.5lbs