Sponsored by:

GT2 steering noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts
Default GT2 steering noises

I appologize in advance if this was previously discussed.
I just picked up my '02 Gt2 last week. There is currently 135 miles on the car.
I noticed a clunking noise at very low (pulling into garage/parking lot)
speed while turning the wheel. I know these cars are more mechanically
noisey but does this sound normal?
Any response appreciated.
Pete
Old 03-31-2005, 12:42 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clunking on a stock suspension : check the sway bars
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Moogle
Race Car

if this is happening at very slow speeds with full or near full steering lock, it is likely the limited slip differential.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

The "noise" is definitely coming from the front of the car.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:17 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

If you get a squeak from turning the car a slow speed like you say, its common.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:30 PM
SPR
Drifting

I would say it is the drop links and or the springs rotating on their pearches.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

I just spoke to my dealer & they confirmed both loose drop links and the springs
rotating on their perches. I am taking it in next week...will post once resolved.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 02:53 PM
SPR
Drifting

Nice. The loose drop link was first acknowledged through a TSB on 00? Carrerras, because of a coating process was too thick which made them either not tightened enough originally or have them back out or something. (Renntech Tsb's). For the pearches a company makes a thin roller bearing which when coupled with a thicker skirted separating collar removes the binding and Boing-
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Spr
You guessed it. The springs are rotating on slow sharp turns. I was told there is no real fix. They said they should seat properly after some time/miles. They did "lube" them which seemed to quiet it up a bit.
Thanks for the input.
Pete
Old 04-08-2005, 09:45 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pete, they won't set. I still have that spring noise rotating on the perches past 13,000 miles on my 3.

When I get a new suspension, I'm going to get main/tender springs (like the PSS9 system), where that is not a problem. Anyway the sound doesn't bother me, but the shocks and spring rates do.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A fairly recent service advisory calls for Kryton (sp?) to be used on strut mount (not sure if I am describing it correctly but I saw the picture). When my sway bar was being tightened, the dealer wanted to apply this advisory fix although my car did not exhibit any of the symptoms that required the application of this advisory fix. We did both just in case of future issues but the sway bar tightening was presumably what solved my problem; front right was just a tad loose. From what is written above, some forum users may benefit from this fix for GT2s and GT3s. Mine is an 05 GT3 not that the date of production matters in either of these issues.

NJ-GT, I agree that if the sound does not bother you, best not to mess with it. That is why I merely wanted my sway bars tightened. I had a somewhat similar issue a long time back in a 993TT. The rest of the noises are just "sports car noises" but we do not want loose bars and parts falling off!

PS: NJ-GT, what is that "Motorsports Spoiler Lip". I dont need and cannot sustain any lower a ride height but am just curious to see it and want to know if it adds to the performance in any way. I always wonder with such "lips" if they work more optimally when used in conjunction with the matching rear wing. Of course the stock wing is as much as I think I can get away with when driving on the street!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
SPR
Drifting

Interesting about the "lube". This has been a common worry but it is perfectly normal. I don't know about the gt2 coils, but Pss9's come with plastic washers to try and help this condition. They eventually wear thought I believe as I hear it all the time. np on the input. There is a video someone took on a c4s showing the "binding and boing" somewhere and then the after with those roller bearings and new threaded collars if you're insterested in what it looks like, it's somewhat entertaining.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Motorsport lip has same width all the way around from end to end whereas the oem it tapers at the ends. It's a bit longer which doesn't present a problem since it is so slight but comparing the 2 the motorsport seems more rigid and if you should hit it it may loosen some rivets easily(PITA). Plus oem came with sticky tape wheras the motorsport did not at least when I got it from TRG. I believe it costs about 135-150 or so. I don't think I would notice ne difference compared to oem performance wise like seat of the pants thing but I imagine high speeds and high speed corners would have some benefit. If you plan to do that you mite as well get the 4/8 degree height adapters for the rear wing too or get the RS wing($$$$). Regards. Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 01:19 PM
gtdrei
Pro

One 'fix ' is to install Torrington roller bearings. NJ- GT, don't forget the torringtons when you do your conversion.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Robin:

I ordered the suspension 2-3 weeks ago. I talked to Trever. They're waiting for the springs because I ordered custom spring rates for tender and main.

Torrington bearings? No, clue. I'm getting the rear monoball mounts and I'm going to remove the Manthey Racing camber plates

Quick Reply: GT2 steering noises