Sponsored by:

Track help please; fluids and handeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track help please; fluids and handeling

I run a few track events and am about to take the car in for service. Hpoefully you guys can give me some guidance.

1) I'm going to go ahead and change all fluids; what fluids do you recommend for particular areas; IE: brake, transmission etc?

2) I'm running stock MPS's at 40psi (when hot) and -1.5 degrees of camber. The car "pushes" in long, steady-state Carrousel type radius turns. What can be done (susp setting, etc) to give the car better front end grip in that type circumstance?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 01:34 PM
mds
Pro

- Brake fluid Castrol SRF
- Transmission fluid Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90. This is the factory GT3 Cup car recommended fluid. It is not available in the USA, the Mobil 1 75W-90 that you find locally is a different formulation. The recommended fluid is available from Porsche, part number 999.917.062.00.
- Add more negative camber to the front. Or reduce front pressure to 37psi. Or try loosen the front anti-roll bar one hole. Be careful, on my car with such an bar change I need to be very smooth with the steering to avoid oversteer past the apex.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:06 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called the dealer on that part and was told the part number doesn't exist?
Old 03-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Thanks for the response. I have a few followup questions:

1) Where do I get Castrol SRF and how much do I buy?
2) How much Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90 do I order?
3) Is the camber/anti roll bar advice an either/or? In other words, leave the roll bar alone and add A TOTAL of how much negative camber? OR leave the camber alone and loosen the front anti-roll bar one hole? Would it be the same outcome if I left the front roll bar alone and stiffened the rear roll bar one hole?

Thanks again
Old 03-17-2005, 03:11 PM
SPR
Drifting

BTW I called the dealer and they have the tranny fluid not under that part number but for gt3 and it's 27 bucks a liter and you have to provide a container to pump it into as they only have 20Lcontainers @ 500 bucks!
What is the difference between that fluid and the conventional mobile 1 75/90 at an auto store?

Anyone have a good idea for what a decent container to use would be considering the aforementioned?

BTW for SRF it usually comes in 1l tin for about 90 bucks or thereabouts. For the tranny fluid on my 996 c2 with LSD capacity is 2.7L
Old 03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

how many litres of SRF fluid is needed to fill up the system in a GT3?
Old 03-17-2005, 03:45 PM
SPR
Drifting

I think it was .7l or less? 1l is more than enough to bleed all the way around 2x and have it full with ample reserve left over to throw away
Old 03-17-2005, 03:56 PM
mds
Pro

SPR, you can go to the mobile one web site and get product specs for the various fluids. The specs differ, the significance of these differences with respect to the GT3 transmission, I don't know. There are (or were) several fluids available from Porsche for the 996, but only one is recommended for the Cup car: Mobilube SHC. The pn is from the Cup manual, maybe its not showing up in the street car parts list.

Philip, for a full flush, 1l might be enough, but I use two just to be sure. Ideally the clutch line should be flushed also, but the bleeder is hard to reach. Castrol says to replace SRF every 18 months.

I'd try reducing front tire pressure first, then a anti-roll bar change if more seems necessary.

Quick Reply: Track help please; fluids and handeling