Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBS Magnesium

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005 | 11:39 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

JLJ,
I have heard all good things about your car...they always say it looks great.....how do you like your muffler bypass pipes?
Old 02-09-2005 | 11:53 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by Z06
JLJ,
I have heard all good things about your car...they always say it looks great.....how do you like your muffler bypass pipes?
well they are very kind! heres a pic from roebling Road raceway in georgia last month. i love the bypass pipes but if you want them i would get them made at www.hotrodscotts.com in toronto. he can make a custom 2 piece that can have the pipe point different ways at the end..left, right, down. why you ask? well i ran the pipes at VIR in december and Sebring in january but roebling had noise restrictions so i had to put the mufflers on. if i had scott make them i could have changed the angle to point noise away from the sound sensors and it shouldnt have triggered them. we can meet up so i can show you what i mean.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2005 | 10:20 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I, companies such as Porsche that equip their factory and customer race cars with BBS, various Indy teams, and certain F1 teams, notably Ferrari, believe that BBS makes the best wheel currently available. Somewhat costly, yes, but rarely is the best the least expensive.
Old 02-10-2005 | 10:27 AM
JLJ

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I, companies such as Porsche that equip their factory and customer race cars with BBS, various Indy teams, and certain F1 teams, notably Ferrari, believe that BBS makes the best wheel currently available. Somewhat costly, yes, but rarely is the best the least expensive.
The teams use parts that are part pf sponsorship too as BBS would give consideration for their names on the car. Its not just that BBS is the best.I believe Ferrari F1 uses or did use OZ. Are they the best then? Don't ever forget the power of sponsorship
Old 02-10-2005 | 01:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

JLJ, nice wheels! i am biased of course ;-0
Old 02-10-2005 | 02:37 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Ferrari and Porsche actually pay for their wheels.
Old 02-10-2005 | 07:15 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Ferrari and Porsche actually pay for their wheels.
i think "pay' is a loose term when they put BBS stickers on the cars
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:08 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Actually, neither the Porsche Cup Cars or the RSR is delivered with any BBS stickers and I believe that, other than the wheel stickers themselves, the Ferrari F1 car does not contain BBS advertising. All of this notwithstanding, however, I would rather have BBS wheels than others.

P.S. There are a number of race cars that carry Cartridge stickers and Cartridge neither gives discounts nor free parts to any race team.
Old 02-12-2005 | 11:31 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Mr. Linton is correct.

Here is a link to the BBS site showing their relationship with Ferrari:

Ferrari BBS site

If you use Google and right click, you can translate it to English.

Apparently the forged wheels that the cars are using come from BBS Japan.

BBS Japan makes both forged aluminum and forged magnesium wheels for road use. They make both types of construction for Porsche as well. Their best wheels are the AcQ series which means "Aircraft Quality".

I wonder why these are not generally available in the USA?
Below is the Google translation of the BBS site above:

"The Fomula-1 which is the highest peak of automobile race/lace (F-1), it is said per 1 race/lace approximately 4 hundred million people observe in the world. In 2004 year F-1 series, the 7th annual synthesis victory where Ferrari M ¥ shoe Mach in history becomes most numerous in ¤ ƒhƒ‰ƒCƒo?[ƒY section was decided, Ferrari achieved the great achievement which acquires 6 year continual ƒRƒ“ƒXƒgƒ‰ƒNƒ^?[ƒYƒ^ƒCƒgƒ‹. The BBS continues to supply the racing wheel to that Ferrari from 1992.
The fact that the BBS wheel had become opportunity of F-1 advance was the encounter with Ferrari. Spring of 1990, from the German BBS corporation at the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation, " the ƒeƒXƒ^ƒ?ƒbƒT ' we would like to attach the wheel of the forging magnesium, from Ferrari ', but it could not produce the prototype with there, or the communication, ¥ ¥ ¥ " entered.

The aluminum and the magnesium naturally, because character is different, do not go to the meaning, manufacturing process same completely. But the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation does furthermore it meaning that the prototype completes by the fact that the device is added, with the manufacturing technology to stack as a base to that. Following January 16th of 1991, that forging magnesium wheel was released in the Ferrari head office which is in the Italian ¥ ƒ}ƒ‰ƒlƒ?. At that time, there is no manufacturer which developed the forging magnesium wheel almost, when technical position of the Ferrari corporation for the first time obtained the BBS forging magnesium wheel in the world, it increased the voice of the surprise to the " lightness " than what first, was surprised to the height and originality of development technology of the forging magnesium wheel. But the Ferrari management presented the price of the level which is not different from the casting aluminum wheel and vis-a-vis the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation, requested supply. As for the Ferrari corporation it seems that you cannot understand the manufacturing method, magnesium forging how cost is high. Until " disregarding cost, it is not possible to pay. " With the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation refused the request of the Ferrari corporation simply.

After that this time, " we want producing the forging magnesium wheel for the F-1 at the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation June of 1991 from the Ferrari corporation, via the German BBS corporation. " With request reached. Automobile race/lace of the worldwide highest peak. And in world famous Ferrari. Literally, the stage which thinks worldwide highest forging technology and can show freely being to come to the point of obtaining it does the BBS & the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[. Height of forging technology of the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation which the Ferrari corporation recognizes not only " the forging " very thing, being to point to manufacturing process everything of the wheel which designates forging technology as the nucleus, it does. Spinning technology (it pulls the in that and, extends), it meaning that cutting work and die production technology are included, it does.

1992 year at that time, the majority of the F-1 teams had installed the casting magnesium wheel. The condition which the Ferrari corporation requires to the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation the casting magnesium wheel of the other companies make which have been installed compared to was light weight conversion of 10% or more to that. Whether or not (it can lighten the Ferrari corporation up to 10%, as thought in doubt, is) the place what and, being to succeed in approximately 20% thing light weight conversion in comparison with ones to that, does the forging magnesium wheel of the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation make. The Ferrari corporation you are surprised every is not simply, furthermore strength being to be higher than the former casting magnesium wheel markedly. Starting F-1 wheel development, 1991 October of 4 months later, it meaning that finally the F-1 forging magnesium one piece wheel completes, it does.

Worldwide first F-1 forging magnesium wheel! That was flown directly to the German BBS corporation, after the strict inspection, was reported to the Ferrari corporation. " The meeting with Ferrari ON Thursday was very successful. (Meeting with the November 28th Ferrari corporation does was great success)" with the facsimile which is said, being to be sent to the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation from the German BBS corporation. Contents were not just that. Being to have an offer that from the Ferrari corporation you desire the monopoly adoption of 3 years from next year, it does. The Ferrari corporation tears the custom which as for part adoption contract 1 year is said until now entirely, being to propose 3 year contract of exceptional case, does. Acquiring the exceptional condition, " monopoly " the ¥ ¥ ¥.

Only when visiting the Ferrari corporation 10 months ago, with the prototype of the forging magnesium wheel for the ƒeƒXƒ^ƒ?ƒbƒT, " if the same price as casting putting out the condition, OK ", the Ferrari corporation which is disappointed the ƒ?ƒVƒ}ƒCƒ„?[ corporation, this time being to receive the BBS wheel to condition does " 3 annual monopoly adoption ".
Old 02-12-2005 | 11:33 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ perhaps too cost restrictive to most of the market? those japanese probably spend as much if not more than we do on our cars...since none of them can afford real estate what with the prices and all.

Quick Reply: BBS Magnesium