Sponsored by:

A perfect birthday!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macfly
How do you like the 1 Ds...I just bought my first DSLR, coming from years of Nikon FM(s). A D20...whats you preferred choice for shooting the cars on track
I am very, very impressed with the 1Ds, especially combined with the IS lenses for track work. Have a look at this story, all made with it, click on the first pic to go to the next one etc
http://macfly.com/speed/index.php

The year Canon came out with the EOS system I was shooting Kenny Roberts and his Yamaha Marlboro Team (Wayne, Eddie, John K & Kenny Jr). I think it was '89, anyway in that year I saw every trackside photographer swap from Nikon to Canon. The EOS 1 trounced the F4. Canon had thrown several times more R&D $'s at it than Nikon's entire turnover. Canon were obviously tired of being considered #2 in the market, so they built a better mousetrap. I had an F4 that I'd bought at the begining of that year, but by the end of the year I turned all Canon, and have never looked back.

I was a hard transition, I was a Nikon man from age 13, in my dreams, and when I got my first one (a Nikormat FTn) at 17 I felt like a king! It took me nearly 8 months to save up for it too! (I left school at 15 and been working in the biz since then). Anyhow I built my career on my F3P's and still to this day they are my favorite cameras, (I still have them) so the switch to Canon wasn't easy, but the results were just so much better in any track or action (girls running on a beach etc) situation, you'd get nearly every shot in focus with the Canon, the Nikon would give you 1 in 3 at best.

Sorry to veer off topic, but I was asked! :-))

Always love when you post pictures! I drop by this forum every once in a while just to see if you have posted something new. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Riff!!

Thanks for the info...I have no regrets buying the Canon and look forward to seeing more of your pics...

I head to Sepang to catch the first leg of the race. Hopefully my pass for the Williams garage comes thru and I'll share my pictures then...

Quick Reply: A perfect birthday!