Sponsored by:

Why does every artical on the GT3....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 11:45 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Guy, in that situation, because you kept your foot on the gas, it sounds like the center viscous coupling helped by diverting power to the front wheels, which wouldn't happen abruptly during a proper drift. A fresh out-the-box GT3 would just understeer, if I read you correctly.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:11 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Metal I think you did read me correctly.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:11 AM
ryce
Instructor

JLJ has it wired. Its an incredible confidence inspiring car. Its easy to slide and recover. The rear end likes to twitch under power but as long as you keep it balanced and have good reflexes its very easy to catch. I've had the rear end jump sideways at 80mph coming over a rise in the road and caught it with throttle on just like a good dirt bike and never thought a thing was awry. You of course need to work your way towards the limits slowly and carefully. The limits are extremely high and only truly explorable on a track. I just love this car. It is a true driver's delight.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,538 Likes on 2,291 Posts

996 gt3 is very capable car on the track. i had a 993c2 with pss9 and a 996c2 with moton club sport. i put 5000 track miles on the 996 in 8 months. compared to that, the 996gt3 isn't much harder to drive. it's "twitchier" for lack of a better word...it needs more respect as everything happend a tad faster and cripster than my modded C2. you need to "listen" to what the car is telling you... in some sense it's the easiest porsche to drive as it tells everything clearly and pretty early before it whips you. JLJ is right about the grip gt3 has, but throttle needs to be smoothly applied, you can do it quickly as long as you do it smoothly, else it will come around on you. so far, i got 500 track miles on it (i had this one for 6 weeks and 2000 total miles) but i feel far more confident in the gt3 then my c2 b/c it communicates so much better.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
brucegre
Banned

Holger said it a bit earlier, but I'll confirm it. The GT3 has much faster reflexes than a 996 C2, TT or whatever. I went from a TT to a Cup car (for DEs and racing) and then to a GT3 for DEs. The GT3 is sprung a little more softly than the race car, but it reacts to every input instantly as does the Cup. And it really amplifies the bad inputs. The TT was a limo by comparison. So, if you are a smoothy behind the wheel, no problems - this car is wonderful. If you are Bo Duke, just get ready for some big slides, and hopefully even bigger catches. It is the best dual purpose car out there, not that I'm biased or anything.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:06 AM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ghost
I think my GT3 is a pussycat. I've had several sports cars in my brief life...the most ill handling one I owned was the MCoupe. Very tough at the limit, but a lot of fun!!!
I have also owned an M coupe that I tracked quite abit, did you think it handled badly (321hp version?)? It is great fun and oversteer comes rather fast, although I had r-compund tyres fitted. I am actually thinking of buying an M coupe again as a buddy for the GT3
Old 02-03-2005, 09:34 AM
JLJ

Originally Posted by ryce
JLJ has it wired. Its an incredible confidence inspiring car. Its easy to slide and recover. The rear end likes to twitch under power but as long as you keep it balanced and have good reflexes its very easy to catch. I've had the rear end jump sideways at 80mph coming over a rise in the road and caught it with throttle on just like a good dirt bike and never thought a thing was awry. You of course need to work your way towards the limits slowly and carefully. The limits are extremely high and only truly explorable on a track. I just love this car. It is a true driver's delight.
my man!!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hey "Circus Boy"

Look what I found. P.S. We found out the NSX is supercharged

Last edited by Mike K.; 11-24-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holger B
The car is much more sensitive to inputs than my old 996 C2. It reacts RIGHT NOW. I've only done 2 DE's, but am feeling much more confident now than when I first had it on track. Everything happens more quickly with the GT3 and the handling is especially more direct. If you're not used to driving a dedicated track car/race car it's a whole new ballgame when behind the wheel of a GT3...
I agree with Holgers statement. I am used to dedicated track cars and the GT3 handled much closer to a dedicated track car than it did to my 99 C2. While its handling inspires confidence, it will quickly remind you that its a true 911 if your not careful.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Look what I found. P.S. We found out the NSX is supercharged
that picture is false advertisiing and you know it
Old 02-03-2005, 07:47 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

I have had a number of very fast cars over the years, most American or Japanese that were all modified and most track cars...the GT3 is extememly easy to drive and I take every opportunity to tease the sales -people at my local Porche dealership, who warned me that it was not an everyday driver, the clutch was stiff, it was difficult to drive and the ride was harsh...

In the words of Arnold "Don't be a Girlie Man"......

Under 3500 RPM this car is very docile and is a pleasure to drive in city traffic...over 3500 RPM it becomes an absolute monster and I like monsters. Easier to drive than my 2003 Z06 and that is one sweet Z06.

JLJ... I agree with you, this is an easy car to drive and easy to drive very fast. I will be at VIR on Feb 12 & 13 and my black 05 will be very quick, I will pass most in the field and I will enjoy it immensely.

At the track I see many gentlemen in very nice cars that drive slow, they have their special track suits and shoes and yet are passed by subaru's and others... I can only feel that they believe that the GT3 is a handful. These are also the same guy's that look very good at the golf course but carry a very high handicap.

The GT3 is a wonderful car, fast, predictable, and an absolute rush to drive... if some out there believe it is to much then do not drive it. Stay in the club house, tell stories and leave the track to us.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JLJ - What kind of tires do you have on your car & what kind of times do you turn at VIR?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:50 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by MacGT3
I have had a number of very fast cars over the years, most American or Japanese that were all modified and most track cars...the GT3 is extememly easy to drive and I take every opportunity to tease the sales -people at my local Porche dealership, who warned me that it was not an everyday driver, the clutch was stiff, it was difficult to drive and the ride was harsh...

In the words of Arnold "Don't be a Girlie Man"......

Under 3500 RPM this car is very docile and is a pleasure to drive in city traffic...over 3500 RPM it becomes an absolute monster and I like monsters. Easier to drive than my 2003 Z06 and that is one sweet Z06.

JLJ... I agree with you, this is an easy car to drive and easy to drive very fast. I will be at VIR on Feb 12 & 13 and my black 05 will be very quick, I will pass most in the field and I will enjoy it immensely.

At the track I see many gentlemen in very nice cars that drive slow, they have their special track suits and shoes and yet are passed by subaru's and others... I can only feel that they believe that the GT3 is a handful. These are also the same guy's that look very good at the golf course but carry a very high handicap.

The GT3 is a wonderful car, fast, predictable, and an absolute rush to drive... if some out there believe it is to much then do not drive it. Stay in the club house, tell stories and leave the track to us.
were we separated at birth.??
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
JLJ - What kind of tires do you have on your car & what kind of times do you turn at VIR?
pilot cups and i didnt time myself as it wouldnt mean anything when you have to wait for passing zones and cars to let you by. i will be there again feb 18 to 20 and apparently they have some time trial thing so i might get a chance then. suffice to say when you are solo at www.chinmotorsports.com events and you pass most and are passed by none at roebling, sebring and VIR , i must be doing something right.Of course after racing motorcycles on road courses, flat track and ice ,,,,,, car stuff seems just way too safe and easy
Old 02-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLJ
you pass most and are passed by none at roebling, sebring and VIR
Oh I don't know about that. I was getting around VIR pretty damned fast last November & Norm Goldrich blew by me like...like...like the same way I was going by everyone else!

Quick Reply: Why does every artical on the GT3....