Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for help finding a cup wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:35 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're going for a look thats one thing, but if not, you might want to try the 8deg shims on the existing gt3 wing for an effective compromise.

one nice thing about the stock gt3 wing is that is actually produces downforce through reverse lift, not just redirecting the air (ie, if you look closely, you will notice it is shaped like an upside-down airplane wing). the RS nor the cup car rear wings use that principle, ie, they sacrifice aerodynamics and top end for max downforce. the gt3 wing generates some downforce while maintaining good aero and top end
Old 01-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best not to mess with shims for street driving.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by healeyg
if you're going for a look thats one thing, but if not, you might want to try the 8deg shims on the existing gt3 wing for an effective compromise.

one nice thing about the stock gt3 wing is that is actually produces downforce through reverse lift, not just redirecting the air (ie, if you look closely, you will notice it is shaped like an upside-down airplane wing). the RS nor the cup car rear wings use that principle, ie, they sacrifice aerodynamics and top end for max downforce. the gt3 wing generates some downforce while maintaining good aero and top end
the GT2 wing also uses the reverse lift principle as well doesn't it, judging by its shape at least?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

8* is just way too much. The wing should be adjustable in 1 or at least 2* increments.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:19 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

I wanted my car to be a little different.I put on a Cup car rear spoiler,a GT3RS front end and 3 piece BBS magnesium alloys.
It now looks like a Cup car which is what I intended.
Shane
Old 01-31-2005, 08:07 AM
Frorhl
Advanced

Ciao!
I'm Franz From Italia.
Compliment for your "Street cup"!
Please a little question about the "BBS magnesium"; i know that they are not for street use,it's right? Or it's possible without problem use this type of wheels on the road?This type of alloy is only for a track use or it's possible use it always?
I love this type of alloys and i want it for my GT3 MK2 but i do not know wy in Italy and Germany is not Possible the use on the legal street (beacuse are not omologated,in Germany are not "TUV")
Thank you!

Franz

This is my GT3:
Old 01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Bruceg - I agree. As I recall, I was in a stock GT3 with Corsa's and you were in a Cup car with slicks. Indeed I gave you a signal and figured that you'd blow by in a flash - so I didn't lift. I was surprised that notwithstanding the faster exit from 8 that you couldn't pass. We (I did have another guy in the car) laughed and finally lifted to let you make T-10 without risk. So ... the obvious conclusion is that a Cup car has amazing cornering but all that downforce comes at the expense of drag. FWIW on my GT2 setting the wing for max downforce (8 deg.) reduced my top speed by 12 MPH on the back straight in spite of having way more power than a Cup car

Rgds,
Old 01-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Hi Franz
I believe there are various threads about this.I believe that you have to keep an eye on them as the centres have been known to crack.
I unfortunately cannot use mine on the track very much as Northern Ireland does not have many circuits.
Porsche have put Mag rims on cars before and the Race team I got them off said there shouldn't be a problem as long as you dont hit too many potholes or bang the kerbs on trackdays.
At the moment I have my originals on as the BBS have Pirelli Corsa tyres on them,better in the Summer

Shane
Old 01-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the RS wing alot wider/larger than the stock GT3 wing?.....I race on smaller tracks, fastest corners
130 km/h....would the RS wing help?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Arrow RS Wing

The carbon fiber RS wing is indeed wider than the stock wing; there is approximately 18" more width (left to right). The sides stick out past the air spoils from over the roof and fenders. Depth (front to back) remains about the same, but is consistent across the entire wing surface.

Additionally, the carbon fiber RS wing has a smoother and thinner front edge and more angle (front to back) than the almost flat stock wing. It features side winglets molded for downforce and for lateral stabilty.

I have yet to see wind tunnel documentation, but am confident in claiming increased downforce at speeds 80mph and greater even with the wing positioned at it's most flat setting.

The supports on the wing are angled for adjustability, made of aluminum, and support the wing well. It fits perfectly on the GT3 stock decklid uprights and installs and adjusts in minutes. It's a good product and pretty amazing that it weighs almost the exact same as the factory unit, yet does much more, with no need for a Gurney lip or big shims. The RS wing + cup car front splitter will provide more downforce.

The RS carbon fiber weaves we've seen thus far are consistently straight across all surfaces of the RS wing, it's impressive quality, not just contact paper over the fiber.

I'll try to find some time and take a pic of both wings (stock and RS) to post.

Austin
Old 02-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Well, I'll be darned. I wonder if I just sold any RS wings with this pic, not that I'd profit from it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

**** man...that RS wing is as wide as the cup car wing. i gota get one of those.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

Hello everyone. If anyone ever needs Getty Design Parts, I am a "dealer." They have quite a few nice pieces for the 996-based cars.

- Mike Mitchell
Porsche Racing Club #4 (www.porscheracingclub.com)
Fremont, CA
Old 02-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Bruce,
What angle of attack were you using on your wing?

Quick Reply: Looking for help finding a cup wing