Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Open face Bell, NASCAR style!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Maas
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watt, really???

Why is that? You'd think that they would offer much more protection then any other helmet, is there a reason for them not being allowed?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:43 PM
msrc2
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Maas
I'll tell you, in my eyes there is only one helmet to buy, that is an arai rx7-rr4 , i'm biased though, crash one of my motorcycles into rocks and trees at 180km/hr and that helmet saved my life without question, a lesser helmet could not have withstood the impacts. Snell and DOT ratings are just minimal requirements, as far as i'm concerned a helmet should go far above those minimal ratings.

Personally i will never buy any other helmet
How much is your head worth?? Saving a few bucks on a helmet isn't a smart choice....Arai makes some of the finest helmets in the world.
Several Arai models ARE approved for auto use. The "GP Line", both full-faced and open. Snell-00, with 05 coming soon.
Arai helmets are currebtly used in F1, Indy, and used by Gordon, Burton, Martin, and Biffle in Nascar.
Check with your sactioning body to be sure.

Don't skimp....
Old 01-21-2005, 03:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Maas
Why is that? You'd think that they would offer much more protection then any other helmet, is there a reason for them not being allowed?
SA = nomex lining = fireproof = better chances for survival, since with a proper seat/harness/rollcage/padding, you should not be thrown from the vehicle at 180km/hr. Fire is more of a concern than being airborn and landing on your head.

BTW, (IIRC biomechanics course), most helmets are ineffective above 40mph direct impact. I'm glad you survived 180km/hr.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Maas
Track Day

Msrc2 you're right they do make automotive helmets, I was not aware of that.

Ltc thanks for the info, makes sense, i'm sure arai's automotive helmets meet the requirements, if msrc2 is right it seems they're used by some of the best.

I've placed my faith and my head soundly in Arai's helmets and i'll continue to do so. Im' just starting out in the car scene, but im' sure when it's time for me to get a track helmet it will be an arai.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Maas
Track Day

"Arai is the only helmet with world-caliber competitors at the highest levels of international motorsports. In fact, Arai dominates the racing grids in Formula One and Indy Car auto racing, as well as being chosen by such NASCAR® heroes as Jeff Gordon, Jeff Burton, Mark Martin, and Daytona 400 winner Greg Biffle. And 4 of 5 current American MotoGP motorcycle racers wear Arai? Quite an accomplishment for such a small company. But not so surprising when you consider the Arai Philosophy and standards that go into the building of its helmets."

Makes sense to me to have it on my head.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by watt
and they're custom fit to you... stand 21's are remarkably light as well which pays off for long stints. the best i have found

http://fransurf.com/lareunion/stand2...nologie-2.html

I had no idea they did custom fits.....thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

i have the Arai GP5k and like it a lot.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts
Default disable airbags if using a fullface helmet

I'm also a SCCA licensed driver and they have recently sent out a memo stating that if you run a air-bag equipped car on the track with a full face helmet you should disable the airbag when racing or tracking the car. I have a Bell kevlar helmet I also use with my Spec Miata in SCCA racing and would recommend the lightest helmet you can afford- and a HANS device! BTW, my helmet was painted by Bullseye as well- they do a GREAT job.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:20 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skl
I'm also a SCCA licensed driver and they have recently sent out a memo stating that if you run a air-bag equipped car on the track with a full face helmet you should disable the airbag when racing or tracking the car.
What is the reasoning for this?

Stephen
Old 01-22-2005, 02:29 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

I assume it has something to do with impact of the airbag on your chin which could hyperextend your cervical spine- not a good thing... Without the helmet over your chin with an open face helmet there is more space for the bag to inflate.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:02 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Yes, my Stand 21 helmet was custom fit. I can race all day it it and don't really realize that it is on.
It is that perfect. I have also heard many good things about the Arai helmet. But, these are not cheap either. I am sure either way you go, you will be fine.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:50 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skl
I assume it has something to do with impact of the airbag on your chin which could hyperextend your cervical spine- not a good thing... Without the helmet over your chin with an open face helmet there is more space for the bag to inflate.
Make sense. I suppose with the bag-only the bag will form around the face whereas the bag will put more force on the larger helmet which will in turn push the entire head back.

Stephen
Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasgolf98
Yes, my Stand 21 helmet was custom fit. I can race all day it it and don't really realize that it is on.
It is that perfect. I have also heard many good things about the Arai helmet. But, these are not cheap either. I am sure either way you go, you will be fine.

Stand 21 for me also -- needed the light weight.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the subject of helmets, what about anti-fogging for the visor? FogCity?

Quick Reply: DE Helmets