Sponsored by:

Are Our Motors Rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:49 AM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Our Motors Rebuildable?

There is an very interesting article in the Dec issue of 911 World magazine. It contrasted the simpler older technology cars whose engines and transmissions could be rebuilt and repaired with the newer technology of Porsche's current models (post 993 series). It noted a point I have read before that the engines in the standard 996 (i.e. M96.03 series) and the Boxster from which the engine is derived are not rebuildable engines. Same for their transmissions. It noted that unlike say an older 911 Porsche does not even sell the parts for these motors or trannys.

My question: The engine in the GT3 being a M96.79 series and the transmission is a decedant from the G-50 as I understand it. We have a 964 based block. I know we can change out gear ratios on our transmissions. Since all things being equal our cars are likely to see more track time then the average 996 or Boxster are these engines and transmissions rebuildable? Are there parts availability to rebuild them from Porsche ??

If this topic has been beat to death I apologize, but as a regular reader of this forum I have not see it.

Thanks,
Old 01-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Doesn't PAG use rebuilt motors for replacements for RMS failure motors?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The engines based on the 964 cases (GT3, GT2, Turbo) are all rebuildable. The G50 type trannies these engines are hooked up to are also rebuildable and regearable. The engine and trannies in the Carrera and Boxster are of the newer design that is not rebuildable in the field. From what I understand, PAG does not sell the parts to do the work. They do their own rebuilds in the factory.

What makes it confusing is that they are all labeled as M96 engines. To make it even more confusing the late 04 GT3, GT2, and Turbo all have updated cases showing a 996 part number (made in Spain) as opposed to the old style 964 cases (made in Germany).
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

That's the part I don't like PAG is they keep everything inhouse to rebuild the 996/boxster engines. Does that mean they make more money by doing that? Regards. Mike
Old 01-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
That's the part I don't like PAG is they keep everything inhouse to rebuild the 996/boxster engines. Does that mean they make more money by doing that? Regards. Mike
From what I understand, PAG does it to ensure the quality of the rebuilt engine. They will stand behind an engine that they rebuild, but they don't want to stand behind an engine that was rebuilt by an independent shop or dealership.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Sloth thanks for the information. So just to I understand 7 years down the road and I need to rebuild or refurbish some of the engine/transmission to my GT3, parts can be had and services provided by independents, much like my old SC?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:46 PM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

PAG has a relationship with Kelly Moss to rebuild all Cup motors in the US.If you need a Cup motor rebuilt and you call Porsche Motor Sports Division they will refer you to KMR. If this continues they will rebuild your motor and they would have accessiblity to parts you need.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

You never know about these things, but I imagine so. I do know that parts are currently available and there are a few shops that have already torn these engines down.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 570 Posts

They better be as I'm one of the lucky 12 with the valve retainer problem and the car is apart right now. We've been waiting over a month for parts- if it wasn't winter I'd be getting REAL pissed by now- still getting irritated though. For a car like this having the car apart for 2 months and counting is NOT acceptable
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

skl, I know the engine had to come apart but I thought it was supposed to be a relatively quick and simple procedure. I also would be pissed if it was taking two months to fix.

Quick Reply: Are Our Motors Rebuildable?