Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Transparent Paint Protection Film Maint tips / FAQs

We would like to make available some information about paint protection film, some tips on maintenance and how to search out professional dealers for the Rennlist community. As quality of film makes a tremendous difference in the way it looks after an installation, it is only one of three ingredients for a "clear" install. The 2nd would be the installation quality and third is the design of the clear bra kits.

For the 6 years we have been in the paint protection film industry, we have used and tested every single film manufacturer on the market. Below are our opinions of each:

Films on the Market:

3M - 1st generation film had many fading issues, which prompted an upgrade in early 2004. The film still uses the same urethane, but a clearer adhesive. The old film also received many complaints about "orange peel" texture that made the film very visible on darker colored vehicles. 3M's new film is clearer, but is still behind in strength and clarity. 5 Yr Warranty

Avery - Film generally fades w/in 1yr and customer service is poor. The company has all, but fall off the face of the paint protection industry.

Clearshield - Film's quality is very similar to 3M's 1st generation film, if not the same. Tends to yellow and crack in 2-3 yrs. Similar to 3M's 1st gen film, 90% of the adhesives will remain on paint when film is removed. 5 Year Warranty.

Llumar (CP Films) is one of the clearer films on the market. Customer service is lacking and company tends to work warranty claims based on the small prints. Film's quality does not reject environmental oxidation, bird droppings, and other chemicals as well as 3M and Venture. Lifetime Warranty

Venture - film's clarity along w/ its patented acrylic adhesives make it the clearer film. Excellent customer service and film looks great on all colors - even black. Lifetime Warranty

INSTALLATION & SOFTWARE DESIGN
Film's quality is only as good as the installation. Searching out a good installer is not an easy task as many companies make outrageous claims of experience and expertise. The most important thing is to see what type of coverage you will get and whether or not it will be in one piece especially for the front bumper. Companies that use 1 piece for bumpers are generally more skilled at paint protection film installations, while software designers such as Clearshield, Invicashield, and Stongard created these kits for those DIYers in mind.

Below are some tips to searching out good installers:
-what type of software do they use. This will dictate their skill level as companies utilizing the 3 softwares above are used to having these kits come in multiple pieces for ease of installation.
-how detailed oriented are they........you will have to pick up these little signs while talking with the company or installer
-how long have they been installing paint protection
-are they certified? although certification is not a pre-req for being a professional installer, it does show that they received some type of training.
-can they do custom work with one piece of film. This is generally meant for those with aftermarket bumpers or would like to have certain areas wrapped that is not computer generated designs.
-if they do custom work, do they cut on the vehicle? When we do any type of custom work, a template is designed for the vehicle and then cut out on a drawing board. This will reduce the chance of cutting on the paint to 0.
-Ask to see if they use a heat gun to "soften" the material during installation. This is often a technique used by those not familiar w/ proper stretching of material..........this goes back to experience
-Take a look at their work or better yet, ask the locals about their reputation.

FAQ
1. Will it yellow, bubble or crack over time? Depends on the film (Venture comes with a Lifetime Warranty from yellowing, bubbling, and cracking)
2. Can it be washed and waxed? Yes, to maintain the film, it is meant to be waxed and washed 2 wks after installation.
3. When my car gets dirty, the line on the hood is more visible. What can I do about it? Wash the vehicle and use a wet q-tip and run it along the edge and this will clean up the dirt or wax build-up
4. If I ever remove the film, will there be a two-tone effect? No, 3m & Venture are UV stable and allow the rays to penetrate; therefore, there will not be any 2-toning if film is ever removed.
5. Would the paint get stripped if I remove the film after a few yrs? The film is paint-safe on OEM paint.
6. Can I repaint my bumper and put a film on right away? Yes, you can, but you risk having the paint get pulled off if it is removed later. The recommended new paint curing time is 30-60 days before clear bra application
7. From my local clear bra installer, Venture is easy to install. Well yes and no. Yes, it is easier to install due to its elasticity, but that doesn't mean the quality of install will be ideal. In actuality, the film is more difficult to work with to bring out a truly invisible installation because the film is so clear.........it does not hide any type of installation flaw. While companies like 3m, Clearshield and Avery has some orange peel texture, it helps hide some of the installation imperfections.
8. Why do you charge more than these other guys? Our company was founded with one idea in mind - "Perfection is Our Standard". We truly believe that you get what you pay for and we provide our clientele with excellence in installation, warranty, and service.
9. How long does it take to install a full kit? We are typically done with the actual installation between 1.5-2.5 hrs for a full kit. The standard in this industry goes anywhere from 4 hrs to 6hrs.
10. I don't like to see the line on the hood, can you cover the entire hood? Yes, we can. We are one of several companies in the U.S. that has film large enough to wrap entire hoods as well as entire panels.

Hopefully, this thread will be helpful for those wondering about getting a clear bra for your vehicles. Our company is exclusively mobile and can travel to anywhere in the world (except for the Middle East ) for group buys. If anyone is interested in setting up a group buy for your area or would like a quote, please feel free to email us at: sales@premiermobilegroup.com or call us directly at 510-390-6920.
-we reply to all of our email inquiries within 24hrs.
Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

Old 01-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

What is the Venture film web site?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:36 AM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe VentureTape?

I saw a local carrara white gt3 with significantly yellowed film recently. Film application workmanship was superb, but yellowing did not look good. Not sure the film type.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,820 Likes on 2,385 Posts

premier mobile, thanks for the great info. i have had these films on 4 of my cars over the years and most of premier's points are right on.

mike, about yellowing.. the car you saw (i know who's car it is and who installed it) has 3M film. car was delivered mid 2004, so i don't know if it's first gen or later gen 3m film.

on my yellow and silver cars, the film didn't yellow at all, but then again, the film is only one year old. but on one car it has covered 20,000 miles with about 5000 on track, it did its job protecting the paint beautifully.

however, correct me if i am wrong... premeir, if you get bird dropping on it (3M) and don't wipe it off within 24 hours, you will get a yellow spot on the film? i got that on all 3 of my cars. and it's painfully obvious on my white car!
Old 01-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

mds -I saw a local carrara white gt3 with significantly yellowed film recently. Film application workmanship was superb, but yellowing did not look good. Not sure the film type.

First of all, thanks for the link to their site. As for the GT3 you saw, it really depends........with any film, there will be a very slight color difference because of something called commonly used by bodyshops - "clear coat effect". White is one of the more difficult paint color to match......even with the paint code set at the same mixture levels, there could be slight differences in shading because of how much clear coat is put on the surface. 3m's film uses clear coat and having that extra clear coat will make it look slightly yellow. Basically, the more clear coat that goes over a white paint surface, the yellower it will look........Venture doesn't show up nearly as much as 3m because it does not use clear coat. This could be one reason for this slight "yellowing". The other is actually a warranty issue. The new 3m film was released in March/April 2004, so there is a chance that this GT3 got the old film as some companies still have it in stock. Either way, the best way to tell if the film is truly fading, clean up the surface of the film and in the areas that seem to be yellowing, it should also look hazy........the clarity should be gone. However, if the clarity is still there, but it looks slightly yellow on white, then this is a result of the clear-coat on 3m's film.

mooty - however, correct me if i am wrong... premeir, if you get bird dropping on it (3M) and don't wipe it off within 24 hours, you will get a yellow spot on the film? i got that on all 3 of my cars. and it's painfully obvious on my white car!

-You're absolutely right! Maybe you could come work for us!
All films need to be maintained just as our paint surface do. Similar to the paint on our cars, we are supposed to wax and seal it w/ sealant every month to properly protect it from the environment. Bird droppings are acidic and under sunlight can easily etch into paint. This goes the same with paint protection film. Wax and sealants are the answers to protecting your film and maintaining its shine for many years, just as it would with the actual paint surface. Venture's film is no different, but has been tested to be resistant to chemical etching, oils, and lubricants, but all films are still subject to damage from the environment.

Venture's film works with sealants very well. All of our customers are extremely surprised to how easy bird droppings, insect guts, and other types of environmental contamination come off as long as wax and sealant is applied.

If regular paint protection is needed to protect the front end from rock chips, then any film and installer on the market could do the job. It is not that difficult for an installer with several yrs of experience to obtain 70% to perfection; however, it is achieving the other 20%-25% that is painstakingly difficult and time consuming for most.

Again, we are available for group buys year round and at the beginning of Feb, we will be Cinci, OH and in March, we are headed to NYC. For those interested, please post here! or email us directly - sales@premiermobilegroup.com

Sam
Old 01-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam/Premier:

Is there a difference in the quality of Venture's 48" wide film as compared to their narrower widths?

Also, what's your opinion of 3M's "aerospace grade" film?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Chris Aber-Rooney
Intermediate

Sam, When are you going to be in LA/Ventura so you can Protect my GT3?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jack - Is there a difference in the quality of Venture's 48" wide film as compared to their narrower widths? Nope, no difference.....it's the same urethane.

Also, what's your opinion of 3M's "aerospace grade" film?

Ahh, I see you've visited our good friends over at EDL. This film is exclusive to EDL and is slightly clearer than Venture. As far as strength, there aren't any independent lab testing between the two. Cost is near double over Venture as far as installation total.

Jack - Sam, When are you going to be in LA/Ventura so you can Protect my GT3?

If you could get a couple of buddies together for a group buy, then I am more than happy to travel down south. I will be heading down to LA in early Feb........I'll pm you with details.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Pics
Old 01-15-2005, 01:09 PM
vdavie
Track Day

Those pictues are of my 05 GT3 and ihave to say these guys did an excellent job. In those shots you can see how well they blended the film in with the paint. I would highly recommend these guys, as a matter of fact they are coming back to do my Ferrari 355.

vince
Old 01-21-2005, 03:16 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Why not read the truth about this "Advertisement" here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/179287-transparent-paint-protection-tips-and-maintenance.html

Seek out information from others, don't rely on this Advertiser to give you the complete unvarnished truth.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:20 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Your attempts to discredit us only shows how desperate a competitor of ours would go as far as to protect their own business. We are not in business to waste time arguing on the internet with people desperate to bad-mouth his/her competitors so that they would look better. The internet makes this very easy for individuals like yourself to perform such sneaky acts while seeming to be someone you're not.

We are a sponsor on this site and also a strong team in a private company working for a living. Our sticky post here provides much information that many people could use to help guide them in the right direction to paint protection solutions. We are able to provide the information here because of our numerous years of experience in the industry, whether it is window films or paint protection, that enables us to provide such extensive and detailed tips / guides. We are also here to provide our products and services for those interested in what we offer.

Your attempts to discredit us with the information you provided is unfounded. Although, we did not have to provide such extensive information on the other sticky, we felt it was necessary to do so because a competitor or an affilliate of our competitor is tactfully attempting to discredit our company's long-standing name.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

No one is attempting to discredit you, you are doing a find job of that yourself with your message paranoia.

Is this, or is this thread not an Advertisement? As such, you shouldn't try to hide it in the "tips and tricks" message that is supposedly vendor/material/installer neutral.

This is an ad for your company and your services, admit that and move on...
Old 01-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, it is humorous to see your desperation and immaturity exposed in this community. Companies that assist with information posted on stickies........whether it is a teflon sealant company posting a sticky in the detailing section, wheels / tires company in the wheels section, or the performance guys in the aftermarket performance section.......we all paid to be sponsors and provide information that could help assist potential customers in choosing the right product / svcs for themselves.

Much of the information we provided will be very useful in helping this community choose out the proper installer(s) & film along with some maintenance tips. Ghost, you indeed make it sound like we are the only source of information on the net for paint protection film. Searching out more material for clear bras is readily available with a search on yahoo or google. This is a distinguished community that knows to ask for 2nd opinions and that is what we would like for everyone here to do. The information we provided is quite comprehensive and some of it is common sense that many people here could see.

Your immaturity and desperation shows in some of the questions you posed here:

-Asking us to release our client base's personal information so that you could get references. We are professionals that will not provide such private material to anyone........can we say, immature? All of our customers' info is strictly confidential.
-Paranoia? After our initial sticky post, we never mentioned anything about you or your friend, but you went ahead and posted his contact information
-We do not post retail pricing on the net........with that said, you immediately pushed out your own or friend's pricing..........quite sneaky, but apparent.

-Next, you call our company unbiased? And FXHottie reveals "Here's some unbiased, factual information. Many of the pictures showing installs on the www.invinciman.com shot were actually taken in Ghost's garage. Specifically, the ones depicting the yellow Boxster S with the GT3 bumper cover, and the ones showing the Seal Gray Boxster S."
Ghost, your input is biased as well. Please admit that...........may we say hypocrisy? Or just another sneaky attempt to try and protect you or your friend's paint protection film market since we do travel for group buys.

After posing numerous questions attempting to discredit us, you only come back to one point because we have negated your sneaky attempts........you could only go back to the "advertisement" vs "unbiased" issue. Again, everyone here realizes that we are a sponsor on the site and information we provide is not the only source that could be obtained. We did not provide any information that is misleading as you claimed. For example, you wanted more "facts".....we played along:

-Venture's - 370% vs. 3m's - 250% elongation before breakage
-In Nissan's testing of 3m vs. Venture, 3m's film was punctured w/ a 9lb probe while Venture's film did not break until a 20lb probe was used.
-In Stockvis Tapes Group's testing of 3m vs. Venture, after a simulated 7 yrs of UV exposure 3m began to crack and yellow while Venture showed no signs of film failure.
-3M 5 yr warranty vs. Venture Lifetime Warranty

"If you aren't the best, why should I use you? If you aren't better than Alan why should I use you? If you aren't forthcoming about your prices why should I use you?"
-Our company is not here to service everyone. Your choice for "Alan" is good, but again, it's a sneaky way of getting you or your friend's name into a site w/o paying for promotional costs. As you just mentioned, it is open for interpretation, which is why we never make any outrageous claims..........as this guy did:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40008

.........what is going on with this "best" issue? Again, there are no paint protection film installation Olympics..........by bringing up the word "best" is certainly biased and manipulative as many members here probably noticed already. BTW, sure you guys aren't the same guy? or perhaps affilliated w/ the same company? Pretty sneaky don't you think? Why not just pay for advertising as all of the sponsors on this site are doing?

Now with that said, we do look forward to servicing our customers who found our information useful. We provided such a comprehensive guide so that potential customers would come to us when they are in the market for our svcs.........just like every other company in the market. We survive by providing honest and excellent service to maintain a life-long relationship w/ our clients.

Here are some reviews of our work on other forums we sponsor:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=clear+bra
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24309
http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showthr...highlight=clear
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84260
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...d.php?p=1778643
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=mach+iii
Old 01-21-2005, 04:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,820 Likes on 2,385 Posts

i have had many clear bra's on many cars. it seems that people believe this is do all end all material. no. it's not. the film, no matter what brand, will be punctured, yellowed etc.... i put the film on my car for a little peace of mind and intend to replace it every 18 months or so. it's easier for me to replace the film than to repaint the nose.

btw, it think most of premeirs responses are pretty accurate as well. there aren't such as the BEST installer. i like the person who does my cars. he's local. and if i find a bubble or blemish 3 months down the road, he will come over and replace the whole piece.

Quick Reply: Transparent Paint Protection Film Maint tips / FAQs