Looking for PN # for GT3 and GT3 RS Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gtdrei
Is this a fact or urban legend ? can anyone point me to where this is documented ? What's the part # for the 'softer' springs, and what's the new spring rate ? Linear, or progressive ? I have heard that there are springs with a '993' part #, but can anyone confirm ?
Robin, take a look towards the end of this thread. 993 part numbers have been seen on some front springs and there are claims that they are softer. I for one do not believe they are if they came from a 993 RS or RSR. Those cars required a lot stiffer springs than the 996 chassis would. OTOH, the parts database is still showing the same 996 part number for '05's as it did for '04's. So, no one this side of PAG really seems to know the real scoop.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:35 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, even more so if they are actually 20% SOFTER than the 996 numbered spring, especially since it's been confirmed that the GT3RS springs are 13-15% STIFFER. I'm having trouble following why this 20% decrease in spring rate is an improvement....

Cos, when you take your 993 springs off can you run a spring rate test ? inquiring minds want to know.

Robin
Old 01-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

The factory spec book gives the GT3 RS front spring rate as 45 newtons/mm
Old 01-12-2005, 12:59 AM
PCH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
I would have thought that Porsche would have sorted any such issues, perhaps your car just needs a proper wheel allignment and corner balance.

It get's very scientific the day you start playing around with the GT3 chassi components (trust me, I know) and the end result might not be any better and you will find that the stock components work best but with a more track oriented chassi set-up. = all expensive parts in the bin.

I would personally not go down the route of changing chassi components unless the car spends 99% of it's time on a track and is being trailered to and from the track.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
To remove any uncertainity why not also replace the shocks with RS units. Ciao just curious, if someone were to actually replace these parts why would it be necessary to trailer the car to and from the track?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

PCH,

What I was tring to say was that there are chassi components available other than the factory parts that work better for track only use and if the car is fitted with these components, I wouldn't recommend driving it on the road, I would rather use a trailer.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:24 PM
PCH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
PCH,

What I was tring to say was that there are chassi components available other than the factory parts that work better for track only use and if the car is fitted with these components, I wouldn't recommend driving it on the road, I would rather use a trailer.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
That makes perfect sense. And the nice thing about the GT3 RS is its dual purpose use. After all, its about about the driver and in the right hands its one hell of a track car.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, replacing the shocks with an adjustable such as JRZ, Moton, or Ohlins can not be a bad decision, street, track or dual use. I've driven a GT3 that has Motons and it was much improved over stock.

Robin
Old 01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Morty
Instructor

Originally Posted by PCH
... in the right hands its one hell of a track car.
(sorry, couldn't resist

So you mean the GT3 RS sucks in left hand turns?

Quick Reply: Looking for PN # for GT3 and GT3 RS Springs