Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to buy brake fluid what and where??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 01:17 PM
03GT2-Jonathan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motul, i can get you it in bulk. the castrol is just way too expensive, at least for me. the motul is the best for the money.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:35 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw some castrol on ebay for not too bad of a price, and it was also offered in bulk with a slight discount.

Regarding my driving,
I am not even going to get into a response to the other guy which must obviously knows that I am using improper technique, what a joke. There is always someone better than you which can demand more of the car and take it to the limits of the stock components. I have been through multiple race schools and have a couple of very competitive race cars, that is the last I will add. Concerning that motul 600 I believe that is also the 5.1??? a friend of mine got it right before a track day and drives pretty hard as well. Afterward he complained incessantly about the spongy pedal and his distast. He bought it because he couldn't get srf quick enough and knew the numbers on the wet boiling points. It's pretty amazing how close the wet and dry boiling points are on srf compared to everything else!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:57 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally Posted by macfly
only $1k per mile
Chris, what cars are these, post some pix and tell us about them, I'm intrigued, sounds like you have an awesome gig!

MJones FWIW I drove the C2's at the PDE Masters at Barber this year, and they get you going at a very fun pace there. I never noticed any kind of fade or pedal sponginess in the cars, but I also hadn't yet felt it in mine so didn't think to ask what fluids they use in theirs.

Just to throw a further brake question out there, at BW in the summer I was running over 1 hour sessions living out my endurance race fantasies in the 100º+ SoCal summer heat. At the end of one of these long sessions the brakes just didn't bite. My pedal was hard but the brakes just didn't bite. My sense was that they felt 'glazed over'. I just made it round the 90º corner onto the start finish straight without incident, and then I tried the brake again, and it was fine, so I kept going, braking much earlier, to see if it would happen again. It did after a I picked up the pace a bit, so I pulled into the pits to look at the brakes. I could see nothing that would suggest any problems, exept that the holes in the discs were jammed solid with brake dust, and it looked as if it might have been packed in tight enough to be actually depositing dust back on the disc. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this, or anything that would explain this odd effect? (This was using Brembo racing fluid, Pagid RS-19's and there was no hint of the going soft, it was just a lack of bite.)
I experienced almost the exact same thing on Wednesday at Buttonwillow. The feel was a little different for me though (OEM pads). Under hard braking, after a long session, my brakes started feeling like they were pulsing and there was definitely less bite. I pulled into the pits and noticed my front rotor holes were filled with brake dust. I cleaned them out, went out again and they felt fine.

The next day, my pedal felt very spongy (OEM fluid). I'll probably put in some ATE Super Blue, which I've used before with good results for my abilities.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:37 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it sucks huh? When I was at button willow I ate through a fresh set of oem pads to the wear sensors with the blue fluid. I would have lost the pedal boiling if I had the stock fluid there. It ended my day early needless to say . The stock compound is just really soft to minimize rotor wear. If you felt the brakes pulsating and it didn't feel like the abs you might have slightly warped them. Did you do a cool down pass before you came in and not use the ebrake? I am sure you probably did but It's good insurance.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:42 PM
JakeMate
Racer

No warpage. Just dust in the holes I believe. No ebrake either.

Maybe the pulsing was the gas buildup that couldn't escape through the plugged holes? I don't know.

Quick Reply: need to buy brake fluid what and where??