Sponsored by:

Timing Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 03:31 PM
HMGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Adjustment

Hey guys, I really need your help. I had a part changed in my car that required a timing adjustment. The result is, atleast to me, that the engine feels low on power and the increase in power after 6000rpm isn't as obvious as it was before. Another odd thing is that the exhast souund is alot more prominent than before. I hope all this is not just in my head. My question is have you guys heard about anything like this before. Also show hard is it to adjust the timing?
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

What part was changed that required a timing adjustment?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:48 PM
HMGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there is this noise that GT3s make when the engine is cold, a lot of members here have questioned about, well this noise is pretty normal and goes away when the engine warms up, my car the noise got worse, it sounded like a diesel truck , I believe it was the hydraulic lifters or something. Now the engine is much smoother you definitely feel it at idle but the car seems slow and no way like before other than that it runs fine but definitely not as powerful as before!!.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a special Porsche tool specific to the GT3 for cam timing adjustment. Your dealer should be able to get it from PCNA if they don't already have one. As to the ignition timing, it is computer controlled.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:45 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

The variable cam timing requires that the tensioners be preloaded to a specific set point. There are special tooling and a specific procedures to accomplish this. They had mine set wrong and netted the same exhaust sound change you describe. Along with setting a code as well. You do not mention this, but there is a small cam and sensor on the cam shaft that monitors all of the variable cam operation. This is something you need to have a dealer do. The regional Porsche engineer had to come and work with the technician to set the timing up correctly. This is not a trivial issue. Please note, the Porsche shop manuals are vague and actually misleading in some areas in regards to this. Also you didn't mention what you changed to require the timing to be reset.
Best of luck
and
Happy Holidays

Quick Reply: Timing Adjustment