Sponsored by:

Caster Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:42 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster Adjustment

I have seen different caster settings posted on the forum. My car is suffering from turning to the left when you lift off the throttle. My original car setting had caster set to R.7.* and L. 7.7. After a recent alignment the caster was R.7.8 and L. 7.4. This is within the Porsche 'spec', but I am concerned that it is a problem.

I have been told that the caster is NOT adjustable.

Is caster adustable on these cars? HOW? Would a difference in the caster cause the car to rotate left after lift off of throttle?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:43 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Sorry original was R.7.8 and L.7.7
Old 10-21-2004, 10:08 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does your car pull/rotate to the right when you get on the throttle...? From my experience, when the car pulls left or right that's usually a problem with the front end, when it wants to rotate that can be a rear-end problem.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:47 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

It is more of a rotation to the left when going straight. However, when turning, it is as if the car wants to continue to turn on its own. It is as if you have to fight (not quite that bad) the car from turning on its own. I am taking the car to have it aligned again tomorrow and fully checked. (it has been aligned 3 times in the last 2 weeks by different people. Porsche dealership and local race/tuning shop. I have a track event at Carolina Motorsport Park this weekend and I want to get this sorted before the event - obviously!

One opinion is that something may be bent in the rear right suspension. After going through this more with Porsche - they said that it would not align properly if something was bent and that that was more of a tendancy with the 993's. The only other difference is that I moved the sway bars from one setting from loose to one setting from tight on the front and rear.

Any ideas would be very helpful.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:52 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

post the alignment specs you have right now. Not the ones you requested, the print out with the exact current specs.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:59 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Here are the specs from the race shop.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2004, 02:03 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know on the Cup cars castor is not adjustable so I would think the same is true for the street cars.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think caster has any effect on what you're experiencing. It is merely a function of how quickly the steering wheel returns to center. What you are experiencing may be a result of faulty toe at the back, but your alignment specs above don't show that. Your left to right camber isn't matching too well, but I doubt that makes a difference in this case. So, either your alignment went off after you had it done, or you may have a tire that's not consistent with the rest. Sometimes a shifted belt within the rubber can cause strange things like that.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
Sometimes a shifted belt within the rubber can cause strange things like that.
Viken, as usual, has a great point. I recently experienced this problem with MPS Cup tires. In my case it was easy to diagnose, since the problem (pulling heavily to the right under acceleration) occurred immediately after changing tires/wheels. I knew the tires had to be the culprit, however the shop that sold the tires had to be convinced. They had never seen a bad MPSC. However, when they merely rotated the right side tires to the left, the car then pulled left. A new tire and no more problem.

Quick Reply: Caster Adjustment