Sponsored by:

White smoke at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 02:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Default White smoke at startup?

Hi there and good day to all. One of the things I do notice is sometimes in the morning usually on a cold day(in San Francisco get alot of it) backing out of garage car would exhibit white plume of smoke which is odorless and condensation coming out of exhaust. It goes away after about a 30 secs to a minute. No leaks whatsoever other then Ac condensation when I do use it. Another thing is if I turn off ignition from the rear I can hear running water in the engine bay-is that normal? Car is running perfect otherwise. Regards. Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

This as been a going-concern on many boards that later leads to simple condensation in the exhaust after sitting overnight in a garage. Someone told me that any fuel not burned off in the cylinders will break down and eventually become water (very small amounts). This fuel may enter the exhaust at shutoff sometimes and when left overnight, will break down and condense. Again, please don't worry yourself to death about start-up smoke. Usually large amounts of white smoke coming out of the exhaust for more than 5-10 minutes means that you have a head gasket leak. This little smoke you see is completely irrelevant and is simply condensation in the exhaust; non-volatile to your engine.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like exhaust condensation that all cars exhibit during warm up in cooler/cold climates. I know you are in San Fran so it must be getting cooler there right now.
Wasn't it Oscar Wilde that said " The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".
Old 10-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

"Wasn't it Oscar Wilde that said " The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". "

I thought it was Mark Twain...and it's still true today.

It's condensation. Mine spits water out the exhaust for a few seconds right after start up. Totally normal.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was indeed Twain, and from the time I spent there, I would absolutely agree. It seems 'summertime' in SF is usually the first two weeks in October!

Geoff.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand corrected about Wilde...I was in SF and Laguna Seca, June 2003 Brrrrrrr!....we needed a warm coat until just before noon and forget about wearing shorts after the sun went down.....at the same time it was 85 degrees back home in the frozen North in Montreal, but we enjoyed SF very much it's a very interesting city, unlike Milwaukee where we had been the race before.

Quick Reply: White smoke at startup?