Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:19 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't need Castrol SRF. But usually Porsche guys will want the "best" so they spring for the liquid gold. I use Motul RBF600 and it works fine. I don't flush it after track event. I probably bleed my brakes about twice a year. It's cheap enough and gets the job done.

The thermal capacity of the brakes is pretty damn good on Porsches, mostly due to cooling and lighter weight, so the fluid doesn't really boil like it did on my Audi.

Don't laugh, but Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid is also really, really good, but about the same price as the Motul stuff.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,802 Likes on 2,376 Posts

i use motul 600rbf. i bleed every 500 track miles. never had any prob. never soft pedals. i frequently do 60 min non-stop sessions at DE's.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:02 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
The thermal capacity of the brakes is pretty damn good on Porsches, mostly due to cooling and lighter weight, so the fluid doesn't really boil like it did on my Audi.
... with the possible exception of the PCCB brakes where most of the heat seems to be passing through the callipers. That was the reason I switched to SRF.

I have the same experience with my Audi S4 (stock brakes). They definately get hot. I am about to switch that to SRF.

Stephen
Old 09-28-2004, 02:21 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default heat capacity

Originally Posted by FixedWing

I have the same experience with my Audi S4 (stock brakes). They definately get hot. I am about to switch that to SRF.

Stephen
I tested all the braking systems for the Audi....Stoptech, Brembo, Alcon...

In the end, the Audi just didn't have cool air flowing into the hubs to evacuate the heat from the rotors. The bigger rotors cured some of the problem as it had a larger thermal capacity, but the root of the problem never was cured. It was fine for DE, and the Motul never boiled. A lot of that is also how you use the brakes as you well know.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid