Buying a GT3 MK1, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:00 AM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buying a GT3 MK1, help

Hello guys,

This is really a great forum with so much knowledge about Porsche. I am planning in buying a GT3 MK1 for next season ( live in Sweden ) and was wondering if there is anything special I should watch out for?? I will be buying a low milage car from a Porsche dealer, so I get a warrenty on the car.
I plan on tracking the car, any problems that might occur with engine, clutch, and brakes ect...? I have used Performance Friction 97 pads earlier on my other track car, which were great but a pain to keep rims clean. After a couple of days the brake dust stuck to the rims like crazy, impossible to get them completly clean, anyone experienced this on their GT3? I read about RMS leak, what is that? Is it also a problem for a GT3? Any input is welcommed. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mk1

Matrox,

No disrespect to the Guys on here, but if you want the skinny on the Mk 1, pay a visit to http://www.titanic.co.uk/996GT3/.
You will probably find the sadest bunch of Mk 1 Freaks going,who should be able to give you all the info you want.
I have nearly 44k miles on mine, with quite a bit of track work, and no problems at all. I think this is the general consensus of all those who have/had a Mk1.
The ONLY problem you might experiance, is getting out of the bloody thing. Every time i try, i seem to be suckered into another spin around the blok

Regards,

Steve
Old 09-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

To answer your question about the RMS:

The RMS is known as the rear main seal that sits behind the flywheel. It seals off the crankshaft in the rear where it attaches to the flywheel. There have been some known defects in rear main seals on a few of the later model 996s. I haven't heard much of them failing on GT3 Mk I's nor on the Mk II's, just a few unlucky owners.. Though the 996s of 2001 and 2002 have had pretty common faults. Anyways, best of luck on your purchase.

Andy
Old 09-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Morty
Instructor

I think the British (?) magazine "911 & Porsche World" (see my avatar!) had a GT3 Mk I buyer's guide in one of last year's issues. Maybe worth picking up a back issue! If I remeber correctly, there only major issue was potentially bad repairs after not-staying-on-the-black-stuff incidents (which is true for any car).
Old 09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GT3 engines are based on a different block than the non -GT3 996's, so I don't think the RMS problem is an issue with the MK1 GT3.

I'll second what Steve said, the titanic GT3 mailing list is THE place to learn about MK1 GT3s.

Price wise, if you are getting a LHD, you can search on www.mobile.de - I found a bunch of GT3s there. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Thanks for your replies , I will go through the guide at titanic.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Or if you are feeling brave you could always come and be scared silly at one of our little shin digs. Next official Lodge meeting is the 30th October at Bedford, we will even have Richard Westbrook (hopefully champion carrera cup racer) in attendance offering tips to improve the horrendous driving standards that all lodge members aspire too....

Richard is now officially sponsored by TWR and has the roundels proudly affixed to his car, lets hope the Mk2 applicator actually works this time!

P.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:12 AM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bass GT3
Matrox,

No disrespect to the Guys on here, but if you want the skinny on the Mk 1, pay a visit to http://www.titanic.co.uk/996GT3/.
You will probably find the sadest bunch of Mk 1 Freaks going,who should be able to give you all the info you want.
I have nearly 44k miles on mine, with quite a bit of track work, and no problems at all. I think this is the general consensus of all those who have/had a Mk1.
The ONLY problem you might experiance, is getting out of the bloody thing. Every time i try, i seem to be suckered into another spin around the blok

Regards,

Steve
I tried signing up for the GT3 mailinglist at titanic but it didn´t work, am I doing something wrong?? Any other info besides the mailinglist?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Matrox,

Try this address. http://porsche.titanic.co.uk/registers/gt3/
I think things may be going on with the servers or the like, so register on the mailing list from here and hopefully we'll see you soon.

Regards,

Steve
Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Great, thanks!

Quick Reply: Buying a GT3 MK1, help