Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What safety equipment do you use?
Nomex Suit/gloves
52.83%
Nomex Underwear / Hood
26.42%
Harness
77.36%
Qualified race seat or back brace
67.92%
Fire Suppression
41.51%
Independent Pre-track Inspection
58.49%
Ambulance service at private track day
45.28%
Hans device (or similar)
11.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Let's talk safety, what are you using? (poll)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:07 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macfly
For how little I use my GT3 on the road that would be a gret idea for me, but it is just soooo hard getting things registered for the road here.
Agreed. Registering it in the USA would be impossible. The only way one could be used here is registered elsewhere and imported temporarily by a non-resident for up to one year at a time.

But McFly, given how much you use it on the track vs. the street, why wouldn't you be willing to just buy a GT3Cup and trailer it to the track? Then you wouldn't need to have it registered. No problem importing one solely for track use.

The reason this doesn't work in Europe is that often track-day vehicles need to be street legal and to use the Nürburgring on tourist days also requires a registered car. Getting a GT3Cup registered is a back-door way of getting a track car onto the Nürburgring during the tourist sessions. It really isn’t suitable for the street unless you make major changes to the suspension set-up of the car and that would defeat the original purpose.

Stephen
Old 09-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

AW - What makes you think the Tequipment stainless steel roll bar is too weak to handle a roll-over? Since it is supplied by Porsche, I am quite confident it is adequate for the task. I can't see them putting their name on something which was second rate ....

Rgds,
Old 09-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob:

I don't know the TRUTH of the matter, but its been rather prolifically circulated that the Tequipment rollbar is considered inferior to other choices

mabye it has something to do with the fact that it isnt allowed in competition, even in porsche's own cup series

alot of people i've talked to consider the porsche rollbar more 'show' than functional 'go'

but i'm sure it works...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Moogle - It seems that a lot of people like to second guess the factory engineers. Nameless people spread disinformation via the net. I am deeply suspicious of this sort of info. Of course the Tequipment roll bar is not accepted in racing - which calls for a roll cage. That hardly suggests that a tequipment bar will not prevent the roof from collapsing.

Rgds
Old 09-20-2004, 11:36 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Moogle - It seems that a lot of people like to second guess the factory engineers. Nameless people spread disinformation via the net. I am deeply suspicious of this sort of info. Of course the Tequipment roll bar is not accepted in racing - which calls for a roll cage. That hardly suggests that a tequipment bar will not prevent the roof from collapsing.
The GT3RS setup is noticably better than the Tequipment cage (roll bar plus front bars). If I were installing one today I would go to lengths to get a GT3RS offering.

Stephen
Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Stephen,

I don't try to compare a bolt in roll bar with a welded in cage. If I was racing the car I'd go with a cage - besides I would be obliged to have a cage. The nice thing about the Tequipment bar is that it is bolt in. A welded in cage like the RS might have a significant impact on re-sale depending on the customer.

The reason I have the bar in the first place is because I use harnesses. I have seen the results of a roll-over in a 996 and the roof collapsed, pressing down on the passenger side head-rest. That's not a problem with the 3 point belts your body can and will move out of the way. Wearing a harness, being held bolt upright, things could get ugly. That's why I refuse to wear a harness attached to a harness bar which does not provide roll-over protection. So in a student's car with a harness bar, I wear the 3 point OEM belts.

What ticked me off in this thread is the "widely circulated knowledge that the Tequipment bar is ..."; By whom? In what context? To say that a full roll-cage is safer than a roll bar? Well duh! On the other hand a roll cage is known to be a hazard if you are not wearing a helmet and they are illegal on street driven cars in most jurisdictions for that reason.

The Clubsport kit from Porsche is a well engineered system. The GT3 seats are designed to prevent any impact with the roll bar - making it safe for street driving without a helmet. The roll bar makes the use of the 6 point harness safe. All nicely thought out.

The RS cage with removable front bars is very nice but requires welding in the mounts. Will that make the car less attractive to a future buyer?

It's all about intelligent compromise isn't it?
Old 09-21-2004, 01:49 PM
AW
Pro

> AW - What makes you think the Tequipment stainless steel roll bar is too weak to handle a roll-over?

Its thickness is smaller than a usual bar. It is bolted to seat belt mounts, not welded to suspension towers and our local cage expert call it a piece of jewelry... I have no idea if it will sustain a rollover, however, I'm sure that mounting the 6 points to the seat is unsafe.

> can't see them putting their name on something which was second rate ....

Well, after the PCCB situation, I don't know if that's true.

AW
Old 09-21-2004, 03:54 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

it must be better than nothing, it is afterall an extra support, it isn't taking anything away, it is at least adding a little metal in the right area.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

AW - and the motivation of the local cage guy is not open to question? Yes the bar uses smaller tubing than some (but not all cages). It is stainless steel as opposed to mild steel. It is bolted to very secure locations. A real cage would add chassis stiffness - a plus. Now, would you have full cage welded into you new 100,000 dollar GT3? As I said it is a matter of intelligent compromise. As to the PCCB you're right they occasionally make a mistake. On the other hand if a roll bar collapses in a roll over the consequential litigation would be much more costly than a brake rotor don't you think? I've had a few "cage experts" point out the fact that a full welded in cage with spec tubing (many are not) anchored to one foot square plates welded to the underside of the chassis would provide more protection. Well, duh! Would I do it? No way. I'd devalue my car horribly and with a full cage render it useless to even drive to the track. The point is whether the Tequipment roll bar with its cross bracing etc. is good enough. I am confident that it is, and until a qualified engineer tells me it isn't, I will avoid dissing it based on the opinion of a guy who is handy with a tubing bender and a torch.

Best,
Old 09-21-2004, 05:26 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW, In my dedicated Track car ( the '91 C2) I use everything except the Nomex underware, Oh I do use the socks
Looking at the poll, I don't see much use of head/neck Restraints, Not Good! IMHO
My GT-3 has only a fire extingwisher and 1- Track day.
Bill
Old 09-21-2004, 07:31 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I don't try to compare a bolt in roll bar with a welded in cage.
Sorry Bob, I wasn't being clear. I was comparing the Techquipment rollbar & front hoop with the rollbar & front hoop found in the street GT3RS, not the track GT3RS.

On the street GT3RS, the front portion is bolt-in and when fully installed it is FIA approved.

Stephen
Old 09-21-2004, 08:11 PM
AW
Pro

Bob,

I'm glad you find it sufficient. And I really hope it is. However, I'm still concerned about mixing a somewhat weaker rollbar with a rather very heavy car.

I completely understand your point regarding value... However, I think Porsche legal exposure regarding accidents with the rollbar or PCCB is the same. Someone could drive toward a wall really fast when PCCB fail. (when the pad material separates from the backing).

Best,

AW
Old 09-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Stephen - Sadly we don't get the GT3RS here. Adding that cage to our GT3s requires welding bits to the car and perhaps diminishing the resale value.

Regards,
Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
CKarras
Advanced

Who sells the (Techequipment?) rollbar, and does it meet Solo I requirements? Any other Solo I requirements?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

I do 5/6 'track days' per summer and wear a helmet, shirt, jeans and gym shoes.

'track days' in UK are not racing.

Quick Reply: Let's talk safety, what are you using? (poll)