Sponsored by:

GT3 vs. 360 CS lap times

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts
Default GT3 vs. 360 CS lap times

Here's a quick question: For those of you who have in fact tracked their cars, how do they compare (time wise) versus the 360CS? In most of the articles I've read, the GT3 (RS) & the CS are dead even. I'd be especially interested in hearing about times at some of the West Coast tracks like Willow Springs or Buttonwillow.

I realize that A LOT depends on the driver, but perhaps some of you have driven both, and can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same driver in Germans magazines was much fatser with the GT3 RS than with the 360 Challenge stradalle.

Konstantin
Old 09-16-2004, 10:36 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

The GT3 RS is comfortably ahead:

http://www.track-challenge.com/compa...ar1=70&Car2=71
Old 09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
BrianPA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the RS the regular street GT3 in many of the magazines I read was either equivalent or ahead by just a hair (admitedly so small as to be a margin of error).

Interesting that track challenge says the CS is slightly heavier, ferrari claims it's lighter.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:46 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

from what I understand the big difference between them isn't in the speed they do, its the way they feel doing it. What I hear is the Ferrari sounds faster, feels faster, and makes you feel more like a superhero in a super car. (style, style and style!) The Pcar does the same times, but just feels less exciting or special doing it. Its good to know you get something with that extra special feel for all the extra added $$.

I haven't been in a Ferrari, so this is only second info.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the time at Nurburgring says everything

the GT3 RS is ahead of the stock GT3 and the 360 (in every version CS or whatever). Mostly come from suspension parts borowed from the GT3 cup car.
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...1=70%26Car2=71

Konstantin
Old 09-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Konstantin - The RS comes with a much sticker tire than the regular GT3. Like the Stradale, the RS uses the Pirelli Corsa System which is an R compound tire. That alone accounts for a lot of seconds per lap on the 'ring. On my home track I am 4 secs faster in the Corsa than on the OEM Michelins.

InN tests of the reguar GT3 against the Stradale, the Stradale was a hair quicker. Had they been on the same tires, I would bet on the plain old GT3.

Regards,
Old 09-16-2004, 12:07 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Bob,
Where did you read that? Tires non-withstanding I read the opposite more than once.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian, I seem to recall seeing several tests, for example there was a test in Road and Track (I think) comparing a GT40, GT3 and Challenge Stradale. The GT40 ran away from both (natch) but the performance of the GT3 and Stradale were very similar IN SPITE of the Ferrari having R compound tires. HAd the GT3 been on R compounds like the Ferrari it would have run away from it. I saw other comparos on the 'net too and each time I remarked that the tires gave the Ferrai an unfair advantage. About a month ago at a private track day I was able to go head to head with another instructor. My in a GT3 with Corsas and he in a Strdale with the Corsa System tire. He could not keep up to me although driver skill and familiarity (he had only had the car a few weeks) make the test unscientific.

Rgds,
Old 09-16-2004, 02:12 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the Corsa System on my GT3, and I can tell you they're not as grippy as the regular Corsa by a very noticable margin, I don't even think they are R-compound tires.

I believe the GT3RS' 'Ring time was done with the Corsa System, if so that means there's several more seconds left on the table.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the GT3 RS had tires similar to the semislicks corsa but the are NOT the real semi slicks which are more gripier

Konstantin
Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Konstantin
the GT3 RS had tires similar to the semislicks corsa but the are NOT the real semi slicks which are more gripier
Yes, they are called Pirelli P-Zero Corsa System. Same treadwear rating (60) as the R-compound Corsa:

Old 09-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Konstantin - The RS comes with a much sticker tire than the regular GT3. Like the Stradale, the RS uses the Pirelli Corsa System which is an R compound tire. Regards,
Konstantin - I have quoted what I said above. According to the local Pirelli folks, the Corsa System uses an R compound. It has a different tread which evacuates water better than the regular Corsa making it more suitable for street use. The "System" tire uses assymetrical construction in an effort to provide a more acceptable ride on the street than the Corsa.

I have not driven a GT3 on Corsa System (I did drive a Stradale) and IMO the Corsa System has a lot more grip than the Michelin PS II that comes with the regular GT3.

I am confident that a GT3 on the Corsa System would outperform the same car on the PS II and equal or better the Challenge Stradale.

Rgds,
Old 09-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I have not driven a GT3 on Corsa System (I did drive a Stradale) and IMO the Corsa System has a lot more grip than the Michelin PS II that comes with the regular GT3.
I agree about these tires on the Stradale. However, the phenomenal grip, as I'd call it, may be the result of fine suspension tuning. IOW, the tires may be good on that car, but not necessarily as good on another one.

The person who could really tell us how good they are on the GT3 is Metalsolid as he's had PS2's and now is running the Corsa System. Oh, and in between, he had the Yoko AVS, which he liked better than the PS2's.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Agreed. Time for Metal to pipe up. I am fairly sure the tire are stickier and that's no doubt why Porsche fitted them to the GT3 RS. By the way, I agree that the Stradale suspension is very nice - better than my GT3. On the other hand riding in it as a passenger (because I would not push my pals car) I felt that it had the same weakness as the 360 Challenge - at the limit the car is very twitchy and unforgiving. The GT3 is better in that regard. Either way the CS is a very nice toy.

Regards,

Quick Reply: GT3 vs. 360 CS lap times