Sponsored by:

Steering questions for folks with GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Question Steering questions for folks with GT3's

Hi, I had a couple of quick questions about the steering of the 996 (2004) GT3, I have heard that the steering has less turns lock to lock than a regular 996, is this true?
If so how responsive is it compared to a regular 996, is it slight or a big improvement?

One more thing, I guess the steering rack itself externally is no different than a regular 996, just a new internal pinion and rack?

Thanks folks!

Chris
Old 09-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The steering ratio and the number of turns are identical on all 996 cars. However, the steering on the GT3 is quicker mostly due to a bit more aggressive camber and toe settings.

Ratio: 16.9:1
Turns (lock to lock): 2.98
Old 09-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Viken is (as always) correct. One other factor is the tires. The Michelin PS II have stiff sidewalls and that also improves response to steering inputs.

Rgds,
Old 09-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The Michelin PS II have stiff sidewalls and that also improves response to steering inputs.

Rgds,
Bob: I have to respectfully disagree with you about the PS2's -- the side walls are anything but stiff. In fact, I'd call the side walls soft -- too soft -- which makes them quite "squirmy" under certain driving conditions, IMHO. At least that's been Viken's, as well as my experience with the stock tires.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Jack - soft, compared to what? The contis that come on a regular 996? The question was why does a GT3 turn in faster than a normal 996. The PS II is softer than a Cup but they are very high performance for a street tire.

Rgds,
Old 09-10-2004, 02:02 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Jack - soft, compared to what? The contis that come on a regular 996? The question was why does a GT3 turn in faster than a normal 996. The PS II is softer than a Cup but they are very high performance for a street tire.

Rgds,
Bob -- I'm comparing the PS2 side wall "squirmy feel" to the absence of same with Pirelli's and even the older version Michelin's that came on my GT2. Had a chance to run PS2's on both a Turbo and a GT2 and compare them to the other tires mentioned above. I agree that PS2's are far better tires than the Conti's. In fact, the PS2's are OK tires with good overall grip, but they have that strange "squirmy" feel at the limit, which is a function of their very soft side walls. Try dismounting one from the wheel and you'll see what soft is. At least, that's been my experience, FWIW.

As to why the GT3 turns in faster lap times than the normal 996, I think there is more too it than just tires.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:29 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Jack, PS2 sidewalls are soft, too soft for a car of GT3 caliber. A lot of people's initial experience with PS2s has been driving the GT3, it's easy to see why they'd think the tires are exceptional - they're not, it's the car.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys, we've lost the thread. The original question up above was regarding the fast steering response of the GT3 compared to a regular 996. The poster wondered if the steer ratio was different. Viken responded with "no they are the same" and suggested that alignment settings have something to do with it.

I added that the PS2 may also be a factor (implied compared to a regular 996 with one of the OEM tires. I am not comparing the PS2 to a Corsa or Cup, but compared to regular 996's which around here seem to come mostly with Conti's the PS2 does have sharper response. Does that explain my post? Sorry if I spread confusion, there's enough of that around here already

Quick Reply: Steering questions for folks with GT3's