996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hoosiers vs MPSC

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004 | 12:12 AM
JLJ

Default hoosiers vs MPSC

i tried hoosier slicks this past weekend. i usually use the pilot cups...i didnt notice any issues as far as performance problems except the hoosiers are sensitive ( very) to pressures and they take an extra lap to heat up.
what are your experiences with hoosiers?
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Which Hoosier model and sizes did you try?
Old 08-10-2004 | 02:56 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

JLJ,

What size wheels and tires where you running??

Also great looking wheels in your SIG, are they BBS??
Old 08-10-2004 | 07:12 AM
special tool
Banned

The Hoosier is much less of a compromise tire. You are going to notice performance problems if you switch back to that Michelin cup after the Hoosier DOT.
Old 08-10-2004 | 10:48 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

special tool, I just spent 10 mins looking all around Hoosier's site, there is not a DOT legal race tire there, just 'track only' tires. That would seem to make the MPSC stand in a league of it's own, in that it is a DOT legal raod/race tire designed specifically for Porsche club racers in Europe. That must also mean it is compromised on the track against a dedicated slick track tire.

FWIW I use the MPSC's and love them, they are able to embrace all my need for speed without me finding their limits as yet. That siad I'm not doing racing times, I'm just a track day junky having fun driving around in circles with a big smile!.

Last edited by macfly; 08-10-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2004 | 11:08 AM
JLJ

they arent DOT they are slicks...the wheels im running are 18 inch FKSE and the tire sizes are 245 front and 305 rear
Old 08-10-2004 | 11:25 AM
special tool
Banned

Macfly - that's funny, man. I have been racing in the SCCA on Hoosier DOT's for 15 years in Vees, IT, Ford, etc.

JLJ - what Hoosier are you using?
Old 08-10-2004 | 11:51 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macfly
I just spent 10 mins looking all around Hoosier's site, there is not a DOT legal race tire there, just 'track only' tires.
http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

There are actually four different DOT approved tires shown. They have a disclaimer that pops up about using them on the street, and I personally wouldn't drive on them unless I had a very short drive to the track...but they are DOT rated none the less.

I use the R3S03 on the race car and I guess I'll be going to the R3S04 now if the problems are resolved. I'd say they are probably a little faster than the Pilot Cups but will definitely not last as long. I get good life out of the Hoosiers but I'm running them on a 2300lb car.

Personally I'd pick the Pilot Cups over the Hoosiers for my GT3, especially for DE. The slight compromise makes a lot of sense given the application.
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:01 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

That's where I was, but I didn't see anything about them being DOT approved, or any pop ups?

Anyway, it's good to know that you'd pick the MPSC's for the GT3 given your experience, makes me feel I'm doing the right thing! :-))
Old 08-10-2004 | 02:11 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=macfly]That's where I was, but I didn't see anything about them being DOT approved, or any pop ups?
[QUOTE]

sorry that URL didn't take you all the way to the right page. Click on Specs under Road Racing on the purple column
Old 08-11-2004 | 11:14 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mac - Hoosier has had DOT tires for years. They have a zero! treadwear rating - essentially a cheater slick for racing where the rules call for DOT approved tires. Clever of them I thought. UNlike the MPSC or Corsa or Dunlop SSR the Hoosier should not be driven on the street in spite of its DOT rating.
Rgds,
Old 08-11-2004 | 07:43 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

I run Hoosier DOT's on the track and street on my Kurtis. On the street, they are pretty bad. Lots of tramlining, never warm up so the handling is twitchy to say the least, and rapid wear. They also seem to lose air over time, but that may be due to the knock-off Halibrand wheels. But, the car is so tiring that I never get many street miles on it. As bad as they are, they are much better than the old Goodyear race tires I used to run (in my prehistoric past) on my old autocross-winning Olds 442. At any temp lower than 50degrees F, those tires had absolutely no traction. It was exactly like driving on wet roads. The Hoosiers, even cold, are manageable on the street, as long as it doesn't rain.
I trailer the car to the track to avoid long drives, but I'm glad to fire it up on Sunday mornings when my wife says, "Honey, we need milk" AS
Old 08-11-2004 | 07:49 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex - I agree with your comments. My warning about driving on the street is based on two things: rain (bad news!) and railroad crossings, potholes and big bumps. The Hoosiers don't like them and will let you know by failing. Ask me how I know - in a car with no spare and the inflator kit does not work with a 3 inch tear in the tire. The 90 minute wait for a flatbed gave me time to contemplate the time I saved by not changing my wheels for the trip on the road.

Best,
Old 08-11-2004 | 08:59 PM
special tool
Banned

Haha - yeah guys, Hoosier DOT's are not for the street. The DOT letters are for the S C C A
Old 08-24-2004 | 11:26 AM
JLJ

the first set of hoosiers i used were SGS spec tires,,,i am now on Rs304 and having a hard time with pressures. what should they be run at?

Quick Reply: hoosiers vs MPSC