Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you have to say about the quality of Porsche non-leather interior panels?
It is totally unacceptable and I feel cheated
12.57%
It is definitely bad but I'm not overly concerned or upset about it
22.29%
Nothing wrong with it
65.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Interior quality of GT3 is completely unacceptable...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004 | 02:36 AM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Default Poser Exposed!

okay here is an interesting bit of info. This po'd GT3 ''owner'' posted on august 1rst asking how long euro delivery of his GT3 would take, becuase his last delivery took 5 weeks. no one replied, so i guess he'd figure he'd bitch about a car he's probably never seen the interior of, because somehow, that 5-10 week delivery took only 2 days! because it arrived on the third and he posted to complain on the 4th! how interesting!

-Robert, the poser hunter :P
Old 08-06-2004 | 10:03 AM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
so i guess he'd figure he'd bitch about a car he's probably never seen the interior of, because somehow, that 5-10 week delivery took only 2 days! because it arrived on the third and he posted to complain on the 4th! how interesting!

-Robert, the poser hunter :P
Hello Robert, the moron,

Aparently you have no idea what Euro delivery and you didn't read the posts in this thread at all. Let me fill you in. You select an option (I forget what the code is) called Euro Delivery, it's about $2000. For that you get a tour of the factory, a lunch, a couple Porsche nick nacks, and most importantly delivery of your car right there at the factory. Most importantly porsche Provides insurance, plates, and registration for Europe as the idea is you GO AND DRIVE YOUR CAR AROUND EUROPE FOR A TERM OF 2 WEEKS TO 1 YEAR. I selected 30 days (additional charge). It was during this time that the interior became so beat up looking. This was all already explained but maybe if you read it twice it will sink in?
Old 08-06-2004 | 10:10 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Try Vinylex, made by the Lexol folks (leather cleaner/conditioner).

I also wonder - why you were in that first 30 days, did anyone else have access to the car? Anyone else drive or park it for you? Sounds odd to have so much scratching on the surfaces. But try Vinylex and/or Lexol products for this.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-06-2004 | 11:04 AM
drafting
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianPA
Euro Delivery, it's about $2000. For that you get a tour of the factory, a lunch, a couple Porsche nick nacks, and most importantly delivery of your car right there at the factory. Most importantly porsche Provides insurance, plates, and registration for Europe as the idea is you GO AND DRIVE YOUR CAR AROUND EUROPE FOR A TERM OF 2 WEEKS TO 1 YEAR. I selected 30 days (additional charge). It was during this time that the interior became so beat up looking.
Brian ---

That sucks about your interior woes. Hopefully the folks at Zuffenhausen will have gone to extra lengths for you to buff out/remove as much of the damage to the interior panels as is possible. When I turned my car in, there were a few nicks on the exterior body panels, plus the car was filthy from two weeks of spirited driving over 3800 km through five countries. When the PAG technicians prepped the car for shipment, they touched up any obvious cosmetic items, cleaned the car to showroom spec, and sent it on its way.

My interior is full leather and really showed no sign of wear/tear at the end of the trip, even though I was completely packed (rear seats & deck, passenger seat area and front boot) w/ luggage, camera gear, laptop, prezzies for my family, etc. Even when I did my laps at the Ring, I had things stuffed in pretty well to avoid things flying around, washclothes wrapped around zipper pulls and handles, etc.. So skipping the cost argument, I'd certainly say that the leather interior is a far better way to go insofar as holding up to any incidental abuse.

Anyway, you got Knicknacks??! What's up w/ that, I didn't get squat (beyond the fantastic memories of the trip and bithcin' car I mean )!! Your Euro-delivery was also fairly "cheap", as I paid $4k for mine, even though our cars aren't that far apart in price. Still, so totally worth every penny. Anyone who has the opportunity should not pass on it.

Best of luck when your GT3 comes in. fyi, my delivery took 7 weeks. also fyi, if you want to keep your German tags, ping on your dealer about this in advance. I was very specific about this w/ my rep at the factory and he said that it was no problem for me to keep the temporary German tags. When I picked up the car however, the tags had disappeared. I am certain that one of the technicians at the dealership snagged them, and I'm still bummed about it.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:30 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Default Brian,

You are wrong in a few things.

Euro delivery is about $3700, so your quote of $2k is off.

Second the 2 week to 1 yr thing is also off.

You can keep the car for as short as you want, heck you can even sign for it and leave. As for as paying extra for insurance, you get the 30 days as part of the Euro delivery pricing, so I dont know what you paid "extra" for??
However you can NOT keep the car on Europe for more then 6 months without running into some serious issues with the German government and ours when you bring it back. See after 6 months the dealer here gets charged the VAT of like 16%, (its really just sales tax and tarrif fee's, but it comes out to be close to the VAT). So unless you either pay that, or ship the car back, you are in trouble.

Funny, for a guy who has done Euro delievry twice, you sure dont know what to expect??
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:54 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally Posted by cosmos
You are wrong in a few things.

Euro delivery is about $3700, so your quote of $2k is off.

Second the 2 week to 1 yr thing is also off.

You can keep the car for as short as you want, heck you can even sign for it and leave. As for as paying extra for insurance, you get the 30 days as part of the Euro delivery pricing, so I dont know what you paid "extra" for??
However you can NOT keep the car on Europe for more then 6 months without running into some serious issues with the German government and ours when you bring it back. See after 6 months the dealer here gets charged the VAT of like 16%, (its really just sales tax and tarrif fee's, but it comes out to be close to the VAT). So unless you either pay that, or ship the car back, you are in trouble.

Funny, for a guy who has done Euro delievry twice, you sure dont know what to expect??
Actually you do not know what you're talking about. As per my window sticker "Tourist Delivery $2250." 2 weeks of insurance is what's included not 30 days. It was the same 3 years ago. 16 days additional insurance registration cost about $600. The factory rep in the delivery center said the car can kept up to 1 year without problems if you so desire. It may not be an normal option directly "by the book" but it is certainly possible. You are also off on the VAT tax. When a customer does Euro delivery they must pay the full agreed upon price of the car + the VAT 45 days before the scheduled delivery date. The VAT is refunded directly to the customer from the German Gov. with interest when/if the car is successfully exported back to the US. The dealership is not invovled with that beyond collecting the VAT. If you don't export it you forfeit/pay the VAT not the dealership. I may not have every fact regarding the program memorized but I I think I have a pretty good idea "what to expect."
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:58 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally Posted by drafting
Brian ---

That sucks about your interior woes. Hopefully the folks at Zuffenhausen will have gone to extra lengths for you to buff out/remove as much of the damage to the interior panels as is possible. When I turned my car in, there were a few nicks on the exterior body panels, plus the car was filthy from two weeks of spirited driving over 3800 km through five countries. When the PAG technicians prepped the car for shipment, they touched up any obvious cosmetic items, cleaned the car to showroom spec, and sent it on its way.

My interior is full leather and really showed no sign of wear/tear at the end of the trip, even though I was completely packed (rear seats & deck, passenger seat area and front boot) w/ luggage, camera gear, laptop, prezzies for my family, etc. Even when I did my laps at the Ring, I had things stuffed in pretty well to avoid things flying around, washclothes wrapped around zipper pulls and handles, etc.. So skipping the cost argument, I'd certainly say that the leather interior is a far better way to go insofar as holding up to any incidental abuse.

Anyway, you got Knicknacks??! What's up w/ that, I didn't get squat (beyond the fantastic memories of the trip and bithcin' car I mean )!! Your Euro-delivery was also fairly "cheap", as I paid $4k for mine, even though our cars aren't that far apart in price. Still, so totally worth every penny. Anyone who has the opportunity should not pass on it.

Best of luck when your GT3 comes in. fyi, my delivery took 7 weeks. also fyi, if you want to keep your German tags, ping on your dealer about this in advance. I was very specific about this w/ my rep at the factory and he said that it was no problem for me to keep the temporary German tags. When I picked up the car however, the tags had disappeared. I am certain that one of the technicians at the dealership snagged them, and I'm still bummed about it.

Jeff
Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely try the vinylex when the car returns if Zuffanhausen didn't make it right. I see what you're saying about the leather and now wish I had ordered it but I just assumed leather would be higher maintenance and more fragile than plastic. I guess I assumed wrong. Either way I don't think anyone ought to have to pay extra just to insure the durrability of their interior. Fine if you want everything plated in some kind of metal or carbon or wood but as I said before, I'm only looking for the same quality found in cars at 1/5th the price as a minimum.

Knickknacks? Sort of... I got some map books, a silver 911 keychain, 2 photos of me with the car, and a free set of bumper plugs.

I don't remember anyone else having access to the car. I was very careful as you were but I didn't even leave anything in the car for ring laps.

I don't know why your Euro delivery was nearly double the price...
Old 08-06-2004 | 05:17 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Brian why don't you back up and tell us EXACTLY what you placed in and around the areas that "mysteriously" got scuffed.

I still dont understand.

Why would the dash be scraped unless you were using it as a trunk?
Old 08-06-2004 | 07:26 PM
BrianPA
Racer

There was nothing in the front other than people. The passenger door and especially glove box show alot of small scuffs and scrapes.

As I already explained I had some soft nylon and leather bags in the back. Hardly an unreasonable thing to put back there since it's just wasted space with no seats. I have no idea what scuffed in so many places.
Old 08-07-2004 | 02:15 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Something or someone did this to your car, so we need to figure out who, how and possibly why.
Here is a checklist of things to look for as you replay the trip in your mind.

Was this a solo trip, or did you have a companion for the whole journey?
Did they rest a plastic covered map or a map book with staples on the dash?
On the side door was there maybe a paper shopping bag, or some kind of lunch or liquid container being used by the passenger?
If no full time companion who did you take in the car, and what were they wearing?
Did anyone put their feet on the dash (bare, stockinged, or shoed?)
Was there ever a small dog in the car?
Did you visit anyone with a small child who might have climbed in to play while you were inside having drinks with the parents?
Did you visit any Scuderia Ferrari fan clubs?
Did anyone who you've previously divorced know where you were?
Did you visit any sites known to be frequented by aliens, Amesbury Circle, Stonehenge, Area 51 etc?

There is an answer, this happened, and not by it's own doing. The chances are this happened while you were in the car, so think back.
Old 08-07-2004 | 10:51 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian,

Sorry your car got all scratched inside. I took euro delivery and had the car for a week without any ill effects on the interior.
I read in some of the posts that euro delivery cost $3700-$4000. I paid $2150 for my euro delivery, same as any carrera. The turbo delivery is usually the $4000 number because of higher insurance costs.
Old 08-08-2004 | 07:45 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally Posted by macfly
Something or someone did this to your car, so we need to figure out who, how and possibly why.
Here is a checklist of things to look for as you replay the trip in your mind.

Was this a solo trip, or did you have a companion for the whole journey?
Did they rest a plastic covered map or a map book with staples on the dash?
On the side door was there maybe a paper shopping bag, or some kind of lunch or liquid container being used by the passenger?
If no full time companion who did you take in the car, and what were they wearing?
Did anyone put their feet on the dash (bare, stockinged, or shoed?)
Was there ever a small dog in the car?
Did you visit anyone with a small child who might have climbed in to play while you were inside having drinks with the parents?
Did you visit any Scuderia Ferrari fan clubs?
Did anyone who you've previously divorced know where you were?
Did you visit any sites known to be frequented by aliens, Amesbury Circle, Stonehenge, Area 51 etc?

There is an answer, this happened, and not by it's own doing. The chances are this happened while you were in the car, so think back.
Your post is quite amusing but short of an extremely destructive little brat, or a dog I don't think anything on that list ought to cause damage to an interior in the first place.

I did have a companion for a good part of the trip but he certainly wasn't wearing anything unsual (i.e. sandpaper pants?) The dash is ok its the bottom part of the glovebox. As for a paper shopping bag, how and why would this scratch ANYTHING? I don't specifically recall having one but that's probably the only thing on your list that could have been in the car. I hardly think a paper shopping bag is an unreasonable item to have inside a car nor one that should cause damage upon contact with interior panels... Do you?!?
Old 08-10-2004 | 12:04 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

It is amazing how Porsche charges for everything... European delivery on a BMW will actually save you money on the car...

I hope they do not use the same inferior plastic material for the 997
Old 08-11-2004 | 03:00 PM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

I had my 2000 996 for 4.5 years and 29,000 miles. Interior held up just fine, and it was not the full leather.

My GT3 gets here this week -- no full leather again. I think leather weighs more than plastic. ;-) Isn't that what the GT3 is all about?
Old 08-11-2004 | 06:51 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian,

I assume you have a contact at the factory. Why not ask then to repair the unexplained damage. As you know both my wife and I have GT3's. Both with the regular interior. I have leather in the GT2 (comes that way) and I was not blown away by it. The GT3 plastic looked fine to me. In any case after 10,000 KM both the cars look like new inside and when we go to the track we stuff a lot of things in there - complicated by the roll bar which makes matters even worse. No scratches or tears. Hopefully the guys at the factory will make it right before they ship it back.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Interior quality of GT3 is completely unacceptable...