Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB's do you have them?miles/problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:25 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts
Default PCCB's do you have them?miles/problems?

With buying this 2 I have to admit I'm some what concerned about the PCCB's. My 3 has steel brakes so I don't have any experience with the PCCB's. I know Code Red has about 11k on them with no problems. Do you have them? If so how many miles and have you had any problems? Thanks for the information. carl
Old 07-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

5300 miles w/ 140 at the track. No problems to date...
Old 07-26-2004, 12:15 AM
offroadr35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 8000 miles including a couple track days. no problems. i am also worried about them though. i would prefer to have steel on the car just for the piece of mind although the carbon technology is very cool.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:53 AM
4carl
Race Car

Offroadr35, do you still have the orginal pads??
Old 07-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

4carl - there are a number of long threads about PCCB on this forum. Suggest you do a search. PCCB fail on track. Those of us who have done 20 or more track days have had rotor failure. I replaced mine with the GT3 steel rotors (needs new rear calipers) and I am happy.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:53 AM
4carl
Race Car

Were you able to get them replaced by porsche?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by 4carl
Were you able to get them replaced by porsche?
Well, after 6K miles and 4 track days my PCCB are toast.

I did exactly what I was told by PCGB in order to ensure the long life of the disks but to no availe.

I love the braking performance, the lack of brake dust but I hate the price to replace them. If the disks were a couple of hundred £ everyone would have them. At a couple of thousand £ you would have to very carefully consider how much elbow grease costs to clean those wheels.

PCGB have been very good in their dealing with this issue, if I was certain that they would cover the cost of replacing the disks everytime they fail for the rest of the life of the vehicle I would stick with them.

Watch this space....

P

As a PS. If you only use the car on the street then the life span seems to be much greater than if a few track days are introduced into the equation
Old 07-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mr. RS
Well, after 6K miles and 4 track days my PCCB are toast.

I did exactly what I was told by PCGB in order to ensure the long life of the disks but to no availe.

I love the braking performance, the lack of brake dust but I hate the price to replace them. If the disks were a couple of hundred £ everyone would have them. At a couple of thousand £ you would have to very carefully consider how much elbow grease costs to clean those wheels.

PCGB have been very good in their dealing with this issue, if I was certain that they would cover the cost of replacing the disks everytime they fail for the rest of the life of the vehicle I would stick with them.

Watch this space....

P

As a PS. If you only use the car on the street then the life span seems to be much greater than if a few track days are introduced into the equation
RS - sorry to hear you had the PCCB experience. I got a lot more track days out of mine. PGB seems to be doing the right things - their counterparts in North America should pay attention. I am puzzled though, my PCCB created a lot of dust and pad wear was twice what I was used to with conventional rotors. They made so much dust that the holes in the rotor would fill after 3 or 4 sessions on track. Plugged holes lead to heat problems and poor braking performance. I used the yellow sport pads supplied by Porsche. FWIW I replaced mine with GT3 brakes (4 rotors and new rear calipers yellow by the way) and new pads. I am using the Pagid RS-19 Yellow Endurance racing pad and my braking performance is very very good. Total cost is less than a single PCCB rotor. Pads seem to last forever and are rotor friendly.

Rgds,
Old 07-26-2004, 06:19 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Bob, where did you get the parts from? Total cost? I know Gert sells a kit but it's pricey, especially with the dollar weak and all the shipping/tax costs.

-Steve
Old 07-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by offroadr35
Bob, where did you get the parts from? Total cost? I know Gert sells a kit but it's pricey, especially with the dollar weak and all the shipping/tax costs.

-Steve
I got mine from the dealer. It was part of the deal so to speak. I'm in Canada so sources here are not as common as in the US. I'd call Ryan at the racer's group if I were you.

My dealer was sympathetic to my cause and gave me a deal on the parts. All I can say is that the entire thing including installation cost a lot less than a single PCCB rotor.

Regards,
Old 07-26-2004, 09:05 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
RS - sorry to hear you had the PCCB experience. I got a lot more track days out of mine. PGB seems to be doing the right things - their counterparts in North America should pay attention. I am puzzled though, my PCCB created a lot of dust and pad wear was twice what I was used to with conventional rotors. They made so much dust that the holes in the rotor would fill after 3 or 4 sessions on track. Plugged holes lead to heat problems and poor braking performance. I used the yellow sport pads supplied by Porsche. FWIW I replaced mine with GT3 brakes (4 rotors and new rear calipers yellow by the way) and new pads. I am using the Pagid RS-19 Yellow Endurance racing pad and my braking performance is very very good. Total cost is less than a single PCCB rotor. Pads seem to last forever and are rotor friendly.

Rgds,
Interesting Bob because everyone I know with PCCB's including myself have experience little or no dust. Also, I have 4 track days and 5,000 street miles and the stock pads are not even close to halfway worn.

I'm also a fairly hard braker at the track (as several here who have ridden with me at the track can attest). I don't baby my car at all and so far so good with the PCCB's. We'll see.

I wonder if yours being an earlier generation had some problem that has now been remedy? Seriously there is no dust - most guys with steel brakes are very jealous of this!

-Kevin
Old 07-27-2004, 02:51 AM
joe hayes
Track Day

I had my car to the dealer today for an oil change and a brake check. The car has 2500 miles including 3 track days(about 250 miles). I don't think I am that hard on the brakes but the tech guy said about 40% of the pad was gone but the rotors still looked ok. No brake dust to speak of and the rotor holes were all clean.

My car was made in April,04. I had the dealer order another set of yellow pads and will put those on for the next and last 3 track days (I am in Chicago so our track season is over in Sept or early Oct.) My plan is to get through this year with the PCCB's and switch to steel over the winter. I forgot to mention that the tech said all four brakes showed equal wear.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Re: Dust - perhaps something has changed. My pads made enough dust that the holes in the rotor would get plugged up. The wheels themselves were not very dirty though. I also found that I had to replace pads (yellow sport OEM) more frequently than on regular rotors. The GT2 velocity and weight do add to the problem since the car is very fast down the straights compared to most others.

I have read about "improved" versions of PCCB but PAG has supplied no details as yet. Certainly 2004 GT3's with PCCB have fared no better than my 2002 GT2 Maybe the 997 will have the improved rotors/pads. I suspect the pads are part of the problem. On GT3's with iron rotors and yellow OEM pads, owners have exerienced premature rotor wear and failure. The front pads for iron or PCCB rotors are the same. That's why I use the Pagid RS-19 Yellow Endurance racing pad. It wears well and is rotor friendly. As usual YMMV.

Rgds,
Old 07-27-2004, 01:44 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, I've done 6,300 miles on steel, with a very, very gentle 1,200 mile break in, and I think I'm easy on the car, not a hard braker at all, despite doing 17 track days. I've been using Pagid RS19's since the 3,600 mile mark, dust and squeals everywhere, and my front rotors are now cracked up like ice in the spring thaw! (rears still look pretty good though!)
Old 07-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mac - I found that I got more cracks from the OEM pads than the RS-19s. Mine don't make a lot of noise at all, I followed Pagid's advice and beveled the edges of the new pads with a file and Todd Serota suggested a dab of anti-seize on the backing plate. The combo results in a "neighbor friendly" car when I depart at dark AM for a DE.

Rgds,

Quick Reply: PCCB's do you have them?miles/problems?