Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential engine rebuild necessary, need resources

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 08:41 PM
Cubieman
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Well a small amount of digging has uncovered some pretty bad news. I did not do a full leakdown test as I was so depressed with what I found out but I will soon.

Cylinder 6 had good leakdown numbers, no loss at 50psi, yes I should have gone higher but my leakdown tester didn't have a long enough line to run it and counter-hold the crank against spinning while testing. I have ordered a 3ft extension to complete the test.

Results found:
Cylinder 6, no leakage at 50 psi

Cylinder 5, significant leakage at 50psi, air escaping into crankcase due to borescore and/or hole in piston not yet found. I can place a rubber glove onto the oil filler cap and inflate it while cylinder 5 is pressurized.

I pulled the exhaust manifold off bank 2, so I could look at the exhaust valves, they look OK, but I could see scoring in the cylinder when the valves were opened. Some lighter scoring was also noted in cylinders 4 and 6 suggesting the debris did bounce around.

The photos of cylinder scoring are blurry due to my $40 borescore, the shot is from behind the open exhaust valves. The scoring can be easily be seen with the naked eye laying underneath the vehicle with a flashlight.

Not sure where to go from here, it will be a long while before we can raise the money to fix this, just such a gut punch...

Last edited by Cubieman; 08-17-2024 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 08:08 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

Next step is an oil analysis and dissect the filter. Find out what might have happened inside the crank case.

Engine needs to come out, but since this project lacks funding, you have time to see what the analysis brings first, then make a plan.

Quick Reply: Potential engine rebuild necessary, need resources