Sponsored by:

996 GT3 Brake Pads Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024 | 09:02 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ferodo Racing pads are a great option and are immensely popular among all eras of the GT3 crowd. For what you describe, the Feodo DS2500 sounds like the perfect choice. They work well for daily driving, but also have an extremely high heat capacity for heavy use. I would not suggest a 24 hour race at Sebring on them, but they should work well for your intended usage. You can read more about them in this article, "Which Ferodo Brake Pad Compound is Right for Me?".

You can find them on our essex website here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...T3/Iron%20disc
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
changster123 (05-06-2024), TurboCup87 (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024 | 11:10 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would second JR and say the DS2500's are the only pad that I've tested personally that work on the street and track. They will make brake dust.

The Hawk performance ceramic (low dust) and 5.0 (street) are street pads- they can not withstand track use. Same goes for the HP+ - they cannot withstand extended track use.

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (05-07-2024)
Old 05-08-2024 | 09:33 AM
changster123
Pro

I just started trying Ferodo's recently. I've used various Pagid's and Endless pads before.

I did 2 track days last weekend at 2 different tracks with the Ferodo DS2500. One track is easier on the brakes with more straights/breaks in between corners to help cooling, while the other track is very hard on the brakes with one corner after another until one main straight. Both are 2 min type tracks. The DS2500 did well on the track that was better for brakes, while being acceptable on the track that was harder on brakes. There was no fade on the first track and a bit of fade on the second track for me.

I also do touge attack type runs multiple times a week using the DS2500's. They are mountain roads where we blast all out. The DS2500's I find are a perfect match for temperatures the brakes see on these roads. Think of roads like tail of the dragon or pikes peak but you are flat out and not a tourist.

The DS2500 noise levels are also really good. Silent most of the time, but might squeal a tiny bit at the very end of a complete stop if you are smoothly braking for a traffic light. Very tolerable to the point that noise is just an afterthought.

That being said, they are not a track pad. Next time I won't be using them for the track. I just wanted to test them on track and that's all. Love them as a fast street + light track pad. For slow or normal street use, I'd just use OEM.
JRitt@essex (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024 | 10:06 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by changster123
I just started trying Ferodo's recently. I've used various Pagid's and Endless pads before.

I did 2 track days last weekend at 2 different tracks with the Ferodo DS2500. One track is easier on the brakes with more straights/breaks in between corners to help cooling, while the other track is very hard on the brakes with one corner after another until one main straight. Both are 2 min type tracks. The DS2500 did well on the track that was better for brakes, while being acceptable on the track that was harder on brakes. There was no fade on the first track and a bit of fade on the second track for me.

I also do touge attack type runs multiple times a week using the DS2500's. They are mountain roads where we blast all out. The DS2500's I find are a perfect match for temperatures the brakes see on these roads. Think of roads like tail of the dragon or pikes peak but you are flat out and not a tourist.

The DS2500 noise levels are also really good. Silent most of the time, but might squeal a tiny bit at the very end of a complete stop if you are smoothly braking for a traffic light. Very tolerable to the point that noise is just an afterthought.

That being said, they are not a track pad. Next time I won't be using them for the track. I just wanted to test them on track and that's all. Love them as a fast street + light track pad. For slow or normal street use, I'd just use OEM.
This sounds pretty much exactly how I would characterize them based on thousands of customers offering us feedback over the years. Thanks for sharing!

I think I posted our article on the Ferodo compounds, but if not, it can be found here: Which Ferodo Pad Compound is Right for Me?
Old 05-08-2024 | 11:09 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by changster123

What do you recommend for HPDE?
Old 05-10-2024 | 11:33 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

DS1.11 is the best Ferodo option for track use on a 996 GT3. I don’t believe they offer the DS3.11 for our cars.
Old 05-15-2024 | 08:24 AM
Cheburator
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
DS1.11 is the best Ferodo option for track use on a 996 GT3. I don’t believe they offer the DS3.11 for our cars.
They now have the 3.12 which is supposed to be the dog's danglies - according to their tech guy who I met at Motorsport UK Exhibition...
Old 05-15-2024 | 12:21 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What are you GT3 guys doing for the ceramic brake pucks that inevitably fail with age and use?
We have the DS3.12's listed correctly if anyone is interested. https://www.rennpartbrakes.com/colle...kes-esi8897892

--Aaron
Old 05-16-2024 | 05:25 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennPart
What are you GT3 guys doing for the ceramic brake pucks that inevitably fail with age and use?
We have the DS3.12's listed correctly if anyone is interested. https://www.rennpartbrakes.com/colle...kes-esi8897892

--Aaron
Demonspeed has come up with a copy of the ceramic pucks which are manufactured from an equivalent alternative material. Can confirm they work well.
Cheburator (05-17-2024)

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Brake Pads Recomendations