GT3 compared to 996TT ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004 | 05:38 PM
doody
Advanced

Default GT3 compared to 996TT ?

i used to own a 996TT and a 996 C2 Cab.

i have a GT3 incoming.

i'd be very interested in hearing opinions from folks who've done solid miles in each (road and track).

i've seen some GT2 -vs- TT writeups, but no GT3 -vs- TT.

obviously the engine output curves are totally different. i understand that. i'm looking for subjective comparisons about stability and performance and driving enjoyment. RWD on the GT3 -vs- AWD on the TT comments. that sort of thing.

any info appreciated.

tia,
doody.
Old 06-14-2004 | 06:19 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I can help having owned all three.

The GT2 and GT3 are very close in comparison when it comes to handling, however the availability of "gobs of torque" in the the GT2 can lead to drastically different results if applied in the same manner as in the GT3. The GT2 feels a little heavier in the rear.

Versus the TT, after you drive the GT series, the suspension feels like a "boat" not a criticism just a comparison, and has a tendancy to understeer. The GT2/3 has more of a tendancy to oversteer

I have long said that I felt the TT was "dumbing me a down as a driver" because the car is so capable it requires less iinput. Mistakes are easily masked and compensated for, however at the limit they all take an inordinate amount of skill. But I'm not looking for the limits, but I do want that instanteous feedback.

There's an old joke about the chicken and the pig and the part they play in your breakfast..the chicken is involved and the pig is committed.

The same with the TT versus the GT, the TT is involving and the GT commits you. Hope this gives you a sense of it.
Old 06-16-2004 | 12:16 AM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a TT X50 and now have a GT3. The X50 is a rocketship but softer sprung and feels heavier which it is. The GT3 is nimble and needs/wants to be revved. For everyday use the TT is probably the better choice as the GT3 lacks the creature comforts of the TT and doesn't like potholes. If you're a die-hard track junkie then the GT3 is your car as the TT is too sanitized.
Old 06-16-2004 | 12:55 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with your comments to a point. However it's misleading to assert that the the primary purpose of the the GT3 is the track. That's what I think a Cup Car is for.

The GT3 is for those who appreciate and enjoy instanteous feedback, whether on the highway or the track.

For every day use what level of feedback do you want?
Old 06-16-2004 | 01:01 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

The GT3 is a great road car!!! :-)
Old 06-16-2004 | 10:50 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Comparing a TT to a GT3 is like comparing apples to oranges. They are really different cars with different feelings and in the end it just comes down to what are you looking for. Having spent a little time in the TT and both GT cars, I would have to agree with Colms comments.
Old 06-16-2004 | 11:38 AM
doody
Advanced

thanks for the feedback, guys. much appreciated. my car just went PRDLST. a few more weeks and i'll make a final decision on it by the seat of my pants

doody.
Old 06-16-2004 | 11:40 AM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are right. I guess I should have prefaced my post with the fact that I was comparing the cars on roads that I normally drive which are plain s**t. I really dislike driving the GT3 on the roads here and over some of the bumps and potholes it sounds liek the suspension is really being punished. The TT was Mercedes-like in comparison.
Old 06-16-2004 | 01:34 PM
gtdrei
Pro

2 different cars, 2 different target markets. The TT was the first Turbo 911 to be acquired by lots of people who had never owned a 911 before ( I know 3). It was a market expanding car for Porsche.

I actually find my GT3 to ride better on some marginal roads than the TT did (M030). Ringmeister is right, the TT was almost Benz -like in comparison. Now that I have the GT3, I could see a Tip TT as an intriguing car, maybe even a cab.

Robin
Old 06-16-2004 | 02:08 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

An observtion of the TT's at the Willow Springs.

I've been out in a couple of run groups of late in my GT3, driving the line, going my best, and been completely unable to catch a little gang of TT's driven by folks who drive like stink, but are all over the place in the corners. I can gain a cars length on them from turn 1-6, and it looks to me like they are using the car's brain to keep them in line every time, but then they scamper off down the straights, and are at least 10-15 car lenghts ahead of me by the time we get back to turn 2. They are pretty amazing machines to be able to handle their drivers so well!
Old 06-16-2004 | 03:09 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

They are pretty amazing machines to be able to handle their drivers so well!
Hahaha - pretty funny Andrew. I too have observed this although I have also gone against TT's in my C4S (car I had before the GT-3) at Willow driven by some really good drivers and been left in the dust. Pretty equal we were on the corners but the extra HP on the straights was apparent.

-Kevin
Old 06-16-2004 | 04:33 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally posted by macfly
but then they scamper off down the straights, and are at least 10-15 car lenghts ahead of me by the time we get back to turn 2. They are pretty amazing machines to be able to handle their drivers so well!
Stock TT gain 10-15 car lengths on a GT3 on short straights? That doesn't sound right. They run the 1/4 mile neck in neck.
Old 06-16-2004 | 04:48 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

The problem is you cannot easily tell which TT is modded and which is stock. I've been bamboozled by the odd stock looking TT with 550+bhp - and they all looked like they handled their driver pretty well.
Old 06-16-2004 | 04:50 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by BrianPA
Stock TT gain 10-15 car lengths on a GT3 on short straights? That doesn't sound right. They run the 1/4 mile neck in neck.
A GT3 can hang with Turbos to a point, but after that the huge torque advantage they have will allow them to walk away from a GT3. On short twisty tracks the GT3 would be all over the TT.
Old 06-16-2004 | 05:02 PM
noony
Racer

Hi Doody. If you are the same doody, I remember you sold your turbo because it wasn't as fun as the C2 cab. I think the turbo and 550 are too similar in the aims for there to be a point in having both. The GT3 will be a fun car to drive, more like your 355. They make a pretty nice noise too. I've ridden in some GT3RS's on track, they change direction very quickly and the acceleration seemed to be better than the 355 spider I rode in a little while later.

However, a GT2 would be more fun to drive than the turbo and relatively easily modified to 550hp+.

Taking into account your current cars I would go for the GT3 or GT2. Then go track it!

Quick Reply: GT3 compared to 996TT ?