GT2 vs Turbo -

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 04:49 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts
Cool GT2 vs Turbo -

Last week I purchased and received a 2003 GT2, thanks to Bills post about a trade on a Mercedes, and I have a few impressions after initial driving this weekend versus my 2001 Turbo.

First - 2003 GT2, seal grey/black, alum. gauges, leather rear center console, alum. door sills, Porsche crest in headrest. 2001 Turbo, Lapis Blue/grey, Ruf Rturbo motor, Tech Art coil overs, adj. bars and strut brace, Reus stereo, lots of leather, carbon alum. shifter/brake handle, carbon steering wheel, alum gauges, door sills, Porsche crest in headrest.

The GT2 is clearly lighter and the steering feel is much closer to my GT3 Cup car. Much more fun to drive, but clearly demands respect. Suspension is stiffer than Tech Art and not as compliant on bumps, seems less refined. The clutch is like a brick, stiffer than my Cup car. When I got out of the GT2 and into the Turbo (drove them back to back on the same 30 mile loop), I almost put my foot through the floor! Regardless this is one great car and very fun to drive and the sound is awesome.

2001 Ruf Rturbo is faster, it pull much harder from 80 -120+ mph. However with a few tweaks (e.g. Ruf 550 for GT2) it will be far faster do to the lower weight. The 4wd and traction control allow you to really push the Turbo on the street, with a built in safety margin. The car is super stable and doesn't really do anything wrong. 2001 Turbo is quieter inside and rides better on the Tech Arts, than the GT2 suspension (ride height is about equal). Stereo in the Turbo is awesome, in the GT2 it isn't, but I won't put a new one in, just don't need it. The Turbo is in every way a great street car, but you can really feel the weight diff. after stepping out of the GT2.

The verdict, two great cars, but I am keeping the GT2 (simply more fun) and will sell the Ruf Turbo. I fell very lucky to get to drive all these great cars. It is amazing how good they are and the fact that we can make them even better and faster!

Old 06-13-2004, 10:25 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the support! The GT2 has long been wrongly "thrashed' as being a beast. You said it well it demands respect.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:07 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does seem a lot more challenging, but perhaps more rewarding too.

Quick Reply: GT2 vs Turbo -