26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on breakin

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004 | 09:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by jcnesq
I decided to basically follow Porsche's recommendations and had a long (2 months+) break-in - painfully slow! But I did try to vary speed / revs, and did push it occasionally well above 4,000rpm (but nowhere near redline).
That's what I did...occassional bursts into the mid to high 5k range and varied revs a lot. I have seen that article and another one that says drive it like you stole it right out of the box and this must be done immediately. Well Porsche did the initial ring seating in the factory...What troubles me about those articles is that they always are talking about motorcycle engines...air cooled to be exact...That is not what we have last time I checked...For what it is worth, I followed the Mfg. recommended procedure and have ZERO oil consumption. When I did my first change at 2400 miles, I never had to add any oil and the oil meter reading was still on the top full bar like it was when I picked it up from the dealer...

Edit: There should be another pole...Who has consumed any oil and how did you break the motor in...
Old 06-11-2004 | 09:35 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I'd personally trust an official Porsche tech article more than any of those other ones out there....

Andy
Old 06-11-2004 | 09:36 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

I stopped at Olaf Manthey's shop at the Nurburgring to buy a quart of Mobil 1 and I asked him about the break in. He said the GT3 is a race engine and break in occurs in the first 10 minutes and that is done at the factory on the engine dyno. The car can and should be run to redline after that as often as possible. The rings actually seat better and there is reduced oil consumption as well at higher RPM. He told me straight out that if you baby the car it will use more oil.
I'm glad I stopped there because it made my euro delivery and two weeks at the 'Ring much more enjoyable. Hasn't used a drop of oil since.
As a side note he did say that break in is crucial on the turbo engines which naturally use more oil anyway. Not following the break in can lead to even higher oil consumption.
Old 06-11-2004 | 09:45 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Well, I did 1,000 miles below 5K, all off freeway, back road varied loads. After 1,000 miles I used all the revs in acceleration, but kept steady running below 6K, and at 1,200 miles I changed all the fluids, and have had it on the track ever since.

It doesn't seem to use much oil, but I've been changing all the fluids every 3,000 miles, as my car is mostly used at the track, or go to and from the track. It has had no shortage of running at very high revs, so I think my rings should be well seated by now!
Old 06-11-2004 | 09:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Andrew...What other fluids did you change other than the motor oil???
Old 06-11-2004 | 09:55 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Manthey was explaining to me that the rings actually push outwards and seal tighter against the cylinder walls at higher rpms and the engine will use less oil if it is driven with gusto. The seating/break in is done in the first 10 minutes at the factory.
My take on that is if you use the GT3 as a grocery getter and never push it then expect to have oil usage... run it hard and track it and expect it to be happy (along with the driver).
Old 06-12-2004 | 01:14 AM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally posted by TheStig
I'd personally trust an official Porsche tech article more than any of those other ones out there....

Andy
The only problem is that what porsche tells you conflicts and depends on where you live. I forgot to mention that their RPM limits were different between the US and Europe (atleast it was for the boxster in 2001, 4k and 5k respectively with 1k mi vs 1k km).
Old 06-12-2004 | 02:01 AM
Technut
Advanced

Hi all -

I'm new to the forum, but definitely not new to Porsche. I just recently became the proud owner of a 2004 GT3 Speed Yellow, PCCB, deviated stiching, thick wheel, painted center console and seat backs.

Wow, it makes my '96 C4S seem like a family car!

Anway, when I picked the car the General Sales Manager at Rusnak invited me to chat with their lead mechanic, who was just back from GT3 school. I asked about break in and he said: just drive it. no long periods with constant rpm, use the full range.

I'm following that advice, so I hope it's good.

Robert
Old 06-12-2004 | 10:02 PM
JS
Race Car

Break it in, vary the roads, speeds and gears.
Old 06-12-2004 | 11:49 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

I have an old Issue of 911 & Porsche World that has a feature on Cargraphic, their shop, operation, owners and their cars. Well, one of the guys who works there has a GT3 Mk. 1 that he bought used and the article describes how sensitive the GT3s are to proper break-in and that Cargraphic has apparently found out that people who just take it and drive it like they stole it right off the lot have cars that tend to make 20-25 less hp AT THE WHEELS than those that follow the break-in routine properly. Now I don't know how true this is, but come on, you're spending $100,000 on a brand new sports car and you can't bring yourself to be a little cautious with throttle application and engine speeds in the first 1000 miles. It just takes a little bit of maturity and patience that will pay off in dividends later, consider sticking to the break-in routine.
Old 06-13-2004 | 01:36 AM
Moogle
Race Car

BrianPA,

sounds like your taking euro delivery and want to change the oil yourself and don't want to get raped by europes petroleum prices,

solution?! bring your own mobil 0W40!

heheheh, good luck trying to get it on the plane...
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:33 AM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally posted by Moogle
BrianPA,

sounds like your taking euro delivery and want to change the oil yourself and don't want to get raped by europes petroleum prices,

solution?! bring your own mobil 0W40!
Hahaha

Seriously though I think it would probably cost $500+ to do there, am I wrong?

Do they have some kind of place where you can use a lift and tools and do you maintenance on your car yourself in Germany? I never heard of it but with all those crazy auto shops they have around I could picture something like that.

Quick Reply: Opinions on breakin