Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS vs Stradale on Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:24 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say the dynos prove it pretty handily though? Even if it's only relevant on the GT3 with all the CS GT3 comparisons out there you'd think someone would finally mention it...
Old 05-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Carlos from Spain
But as to the tires, I thought the GT3RS came with Corsa's as well, and only the normal GT3 came with the Pilot Sport PS2's
Both the Challenge Stradale and the GT3RS come with the PZero Corsa *System* which is different from the Corsa R-compound tires we all know. The GT3 comes with either Michelin's PS2 or Pirelli's PZero Rosso. However, Porsche's latest tire approvals for the plain GT3 does include the PZero Corsa System as well.

Here are the PZero Corsa System tires. The first one is a front only directional and the second one is an asymmetric version which installs at the back:

And, here's the R-compound PZero Corsa (front and rear):

Old 05-25-2004, 08:10 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of the box the 360CS will perform better than the GT3/GT3RS.

Porsche is so busy building SUVs, that they don't have time to do the alignment.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NJ-GT
Out of the box the 360CS will perform better than the GT3/GT3RS.

Porsche is so busy building SUVs, that they don't have time to do the alignment.
Every test I've read to date clearly states otherwise.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

brh - see that thing sticking out of NJ-GT's cheek? That was his tongue
Old 05-25-2004, 09:30 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Oh so I had to go and dig up these links for nothing? I seem to think there were others but I can't find it.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...e/index10.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

In all seriousness I know the mags aren't known for having the BEST drivers or always the most objective tests in the strictest sense but to my knowledge nobody has shown the stradale to be able to beat the GT3 let alone the GT3 RS. All that with (supposedly) lighter weight, more power, stickier tires, and faster shifting ability. And at double the price! What is the deal?

BTW I'm drolling over those R compound P Zero corsas. They look awesome. How much do those cost? Dare I ask what happens if you try to drive in the rain?

Any idea what a Y speed rating is and/or how long they last?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by brh986
BTW I'm drolling over those R compound P Zero corsas. They look awesome. How much do those cost? Dare I ask what happens if you try to drive in the rain?

Any idea what a Y speed rating is and/or how long they last?
$250 each for the fronts (235s) and $260 for the rears (295s) at Tire Rack. They are supposed to last longer, and have more heat cycles. I have heard that they are better in the wet than MPSCs and Hoosiers, but that isn't saying much.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Corsa
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

The Corsa is MUCH better in the wet than the Cup. Hoosiers (except for their rain tire) are slicks and are dangerous in the wet. I use the Corsa as my street tire and drive to the track on them. I heat cycle them to death (40 or so) before the tread wears out.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

It is very sad that Top Gear has degenerated into motoring tabloid drivel, but remember England is the land where tabloid thrash is king. (as an ex-pat I can say that and smile!) National Enquirer was the first in a long line of high brow UK exports, followed by such exciting titles as Maxim, Stuff, FHM, Hot, etc, etc.) The good news is we get BBC America on satellite here, which is actually better than the BBC they get over there!

Right, now on to the really important stuff. I have kept, collected etc the road tests of both the GT3 & the RS from Car and Evo, and they both have very similar things to say about the RS. In a nutshell it handles and steers better, and feels more planted.

Well, having swapped my OEM MPS2 tires for a properly aligned set of MPSC tires I really wonder if most of the 'seat of the pants' difference they talk about isn't in the tires alone. I really am in shock at how much of a change the MPSC's made to the car. I'm not talking grip here, that's obvious, but the change to steering, directional stability, high speed corners and every other aspect of the cars handling.

At Willow Springs, a track I've done done around 70 full days at now, I did 7 days on the OEM MPS2 tires, 3 before the alignment, 4 after. The alignment was indeed a big improvement, and really removed any 'evilness' from the car, but it still felt just a littlest bit vague and 'floaty' at speed. Putting the MPSC on I really felt like I had a different car. I spent a bunch of $$ doing a full track suspension set up on my old M3, and it made less of a difference to the car than these tires made to the GT3.

In conclusion, I would like to see a full track test of a properly aligned GT3 on MPSC's against the RS & the 360's. I think the results might be rather surprising.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:56 AM
hatchback
Advanced

Originally posted by brh986
In all seriousness I know the mags aren't known for having the BEST drivers or always the most objective tests in the strictest sense but to my knowledge nobody has shown the stradale to be able to beat the GT3 let alone the GT3 RS. All that with (supposedly) lighter weight, more power, stickier tires, and faster shifting ability. And at double the price! What is the deal?
Automobile recently tested the GT3 and 360CS on Barber Motorsports Track, along with some other cars, and the 360CS was slightly faster than the GT3. The 360CS lapped in 1:42.8 vs. the GT3 in 1:44.1.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/atta...p?postid=46526
Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW - friends of mine who race Challenge cars think that the CS would be faster then a Challenge race car if properly set up. That would entail changing the wheels and the brakes at the least. If that's true, a CS has the potential to be quicker than a GT3. As to the Automobile test, I think it would depend a lot on the driver. A 911 requires a different technique and unless one knows how, a car with more conventional handling will appear to be quicker. I wonder if the P 0 Corsa System tires are as sticky as the regular P0 Corsa? If so the tires alone would account for a few seconds a lap if the GT3 was on Pilot Sport II street tires.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:00 AM
944CS
Drifting

a quote from porsche's web site
"The lightweight 18-inch GT3 wheels come with road-legal racing tyres which offer a significant advantage over conventional rubber in terms of traction and grip."
Old 05-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

944CS: Care to post a link to that reference on the Porsche web site? The Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on the "standard" GT3 may be among the best street tires available right now but they are far from racing tires.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by 944CS
a quote from porsche's web site
"The lightweight 18-inch GT3 wheels come with road-legal racing tyres which offer a significant advantage over conventional rubber in terms of traction and grip."
It would really be better if you guys paid better attention to what you read and post more accurate information. That quote is making reference to the GT3RS and NOT the GT3. Once again, the GT3RS comes with PZero Corsa System (60 treadwear) which is much closer to an R-compound tire than the Michelin PS2 can ever be.

http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/...chassis_wheels
Old 05-26-2004, 11:49 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I said it before, and I'll say it again, the GT3 on MPS2 will be a good couple of seconds slower that the same car on MPSC on any full length track, and having just done 2 days at Barber with the PDE Masters I'm sure that tires and the weight are the biggest factors in speed there. Look at the fastest car, it was the lightest, the Caterham, not really a surprise as the layout of that track is mostly tight turns seperated by long straights.

If you are putting a GT3 against a 360CS you have to put it on MPSC's to make the test a fair comparison.

Last edited by macfly; 05-26-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3RS vs Stradale on Top Gear