Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Stock GT3 (996.2) Radiators to CSF Radiators (and other upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 09:49 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Originally Posted by philrob1
So us GT3 owners cannot use the original hoses on their car to fit this upgrade?

He is using the Motorsport version of the parts to build his cooling sytem. Many of the 6-Cup motorsport parts have gone NLA from Porsche in the last 3-5 yrs.

All the stock gt3 parts r available and the over the hood chimney system can be built using them with minor modification.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Pennycuff (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 10:33 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by philrob1
So us GT3 owners cannot use the original hoses on their car to fit this upgrade?
@philrob1 If you choose to use the stock center radiator (996-106-037-51, now superseded to 996-106-037-53) or the CSF 7057 radiator, both of these parts have the bayonet fitting on the radiator that will work with the Supply/Return hoses sold by Porsche for its street GT3. If, however, you want far better cooling from your center radiator setup (this is feedback from a solid source, not my own) then you need to upgrade to the 996 GT3 Cup center radiator, the CSF 7053 center radiator. The 7053 radiator uses Henn couplers instead of a more "traditional bayonet (or slip) fitting. I was advised when I originally researched the 7057 that it was "junk" in terms of adequate cooling. And I have had enough experience with that person over the years of running my 6 Cup, that I trust his assessments.

So, for my 996.2 GT3, I chose (intentionally) to go with the 7044/7053 CSF setup. I knew I was going to have hose issues when I looked at the factory hoses for the street setup. Fortunately, I was able to source a NOS Motorsport LH Supply hose with the proper male Henn coupler. In the future, I think I can make a solid replica of the 366-90 hose (LH Supply hose) using the stock GT3 supply hose and adapter hoses Porsche sells for the GT2 (996-106-639-76). The RH Return poses more of a challenge because of the way the hose snakes around to ultimately feed the center radiator. I can probably make the street hose work as long as I add the GT2 adapter hose (996-106-638-76). Sadly, there is no Porsche part number defined in PET for the solid metal tube that serves as a slip fitting to join the two hoses on either Supply or Return, so I will need to ensure that I preserve the old metal coupler to make a "hybrid" hose.

Sorry for such a long-winded answer. I am living with the choices I made for this upgrade. Fortunately, the pieces and parts can still be sourced to fabricate a "hybrid" setup on the supply side if one chose to use the CSF 7053 center radiator. The Return side looks a bit more challenging. This is why I wanted to use the Motorsport Supply/Return hoses. I also wanted as much cooling capability as possible for the car.

Everyone will take a different approach to this challenge. I just wanted to document my findings and experiences in case someone else wanted to do this effort. I have found so many great tips and techniques here on Rennlist, that I thought sharing my feeble attempts at this "upgrade" would be found useful by someone (maybe, someday!).

Toby
The following users liked this post:
brontosaurus (02-24-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 03:30 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to document the differences on the Supply and Return hoses that connect to either radiator on the respective sides of the car, and also connect to the center radiator:

The now NLA Motorsport part - the Supply Hose 996-106-365-90 (the street part serves as the starting point for this hose - you can see the number at the extreme right of the hose - 996-106-666-52) at the top of this picture. 996-106-366-90 Return hose in the lower portion of the picture.

The 996-106-366-90 Return hose. When you compare the routing of this hse to the center radiator to the routing of the street hose, one has to wonder if the designer might have had a beer or five at lunch before plotting the layout run! You can see the street hose in the last picture of this set.

The street Supply hose, 996-106-666-56. If you add one of the adapter hoses sourced from the GT2 parts bin, you can actually make up this hose (thankfully!). The challenge I see is that there is no part number in PET for the metal hose that serves as a joiner between the street hose and the GT2 center radiator adapter hose. McMaster-Carr may be a possibility?

The still available Return hose (996-106-366-90).

Yes, I bought two new ones and sourced a set of Supply adn Return hoses from another Rennlister.

The GT2 "adapter" hoses that connect to the center radiator. In the pictures showing both the Supply and Return hoses, you can see the Henn coupler used to secure the hose to the radiator. These two hoses are /L (996-106-638-76) and /R hoses (996-106-639-76).

You can just make out the (to me) crazy routing of the return hose from the center radiator (996-106-665-58). Viewed from some angles, it almost appears like a square root symbol with the way the feed going back into the primary hose drops down and curves back up. Crazy routing to me. The Motorsport hose is much more straightforward.

Last edited by Toby Pennycuff; 02-25-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:27 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Great informative pics Toby! So if I gather correctly, the cup car supply hose has a proper high pressure fitting on the end whereas the street car uses an ordinary hose clamp? I never knew this. Porsche corner cutting at its finest.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:55 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Great informative pics Toby! So if I gather correctly, the cup car supply hose has a proper high pressure fitting on the end whereas the street car uses an ordinary hose clamp? I never knew this. Porsche corner cutting at its finest.
Yes sir, that is correct. The Henn coupler is only found (to the best of my knowledge) on the GT3 Cup's center radiator. Porsche used Henn couplers for the side radiators for the Turbo and GT2.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:39 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,888 Likes on 1,200 Posts

The Turbo & GT2 use the Henn couplers with the Omega clips on the center rad, too.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:22 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
The Turbo & GT2 use the Henn couplers with the Omega clips on the center rad, too.
Yes, you are correct. I shuold have been clearer. Thank you!

Toby
Old 03-11-2023, 10:19 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, the car has really challenged me these past two days! Allow me to say that I HATE spring-based hose clamps! And to say that there is little to almost no room to remove those clamps on the Supply and Return pipes is putting it politely!!! I'll get pictures tomorrow, but there are a couple of key takeaways....

1. The transition hose from the Supply pipe that Porsche now sells is too short!
2. The Cup hoses for both Supply and Return to the center radiator are too long by about 2.25 inches. You need to trim them shorter.
3. The side ducts for the radiators need to be trimmed to fit properly.
4. The fan attachment tabs sometimes require some trimming to fit the CSF radiator.
5. The GT2 Chimney is still an experiment in process. I'm playing with it a bit, but for now, I have insatlled the Cup radiator mounts for the center radiator.
6. Did I mention that I *HATE* the spring hose clamps Porsche used on these cars?

I've got all three radiators installed at this point. I still have some work to do to make the air ducting work properly. And I have not yet given up completely on the GT2 air ducting system. Still waiting on a few parts for Porsche Motorsport so the sag lives on! Pictures tomorrow.

How ever many time units Porsche allocated to replacing the water hoses at the front of the car, they could not possibly have been enough!

Toby

Quick Reply: Upgrading Stock GT3 (996.2) Radiators to CSF Radiators (and other upgrades)