Sponsored by:

WTB Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 11:55 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Default WTB Catalytic Converters

Shot in the dark. Welds failed on my aftermarket setup and the stock cats I had are bad. WTB ideally some sport cats that will mate with stock mufflers. Also would consider some factory cats. Pretty long lead time on any of the other aftermarket options. Let me know what you’ve got.

Thanks

Alex
Old 02-07-2023, 04:12 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

I just installed Fabspeed sport cats on my car. They mate right up to the stock components of your exhaust. Wait time from order to delivery was maybe 2-3 weeks.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:14 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
I just installed Fabspeed sport cats on my car. They mate right up to the stock components of your exhaust. Wait time from order to delivery was maybe 2-3 weeks.
Thanks Toby. Spoke with them this morning. May be going in this direction but want to explore other options.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:15 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Hopefully not to derail thread too much, but any impressions? Trying to decide between Fabspeed/Kline/Speedtech for catted x-pipe. Thanks
Old 02-08-2023, 09:03 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

I recently went with a 200 cell x pipe with software upgrade, by FVD (M & M) and really like it. Combined with a Fister exhaust I already had installed, the sound is perfect for me: no drone, low growl, high howl but quiet enough at low rpm's to not announce my return to the neighborhood.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9960226...ue-design.html
The following users liked this post:
brontosaurus (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:16 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

@brontosaurus I've been pleased with my Fabspeed setup. Nice subtle change in the exhaust note. Workmanship is great. I purchased and installed the Sport Cats and MaxFlo mufflers for my car. Finished the installation off with carbon fiber tips from Kline. I lconsidered Kline and Dundon, but the price for those systems was too high for me. While not inexpensive, the Fabspeed setup was half the price or more than those two other systems. I've had good luck with Fabspeed on my '89 Targa as well, although I went with Dansk stainless exhaust manifolds rather than Fabspeed headers.
brontosaurus (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 10:06 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
I recently went with a 200 cell x pipe with software upgrade, by FVD (M & M) and really like it. Combined with a Fister exhaust I already had installed, the sound is perfect for me: no drone, low growl, high howl but quiet enough at low rpm's to not announce my return to the neighborhood.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9960226...ue-design.html
That is what I am leaning towards. Also have some fisters. The system I am replacing was super loud, this should tame it down a bit.

What software upgrade did you go with? Is software necessary?
Old 02-08-2023, 10:40 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Per FVD >>>>

200 cell sport cats - They will deliver more decibels and low deep sound at start up and higher up in the rpm band. They will give you more horsepower in the mid-range and top end. They will also give you more mid-range torque and can be used with the Fister mufflers. However, we recommend a software upgrade with the new sport cats as the factory software will run rich and can dump raw unburnt fuel on the cats which will reduce the longevity. Our exhaust products are made by one of the exhaust manufacturers to Porsche Motorsports in Weissach. They make the RSR and Cup R exhausts for them. They have flow tested the 200 cell cat X pipe design they made along with other versions and say that design helps with the mid-range torque which can be lost with a free flowing sport cat.

I bought the instrument for doing the software changes. If you decide to go this route, I am willing to work something out to loan the instrument.

Last edited by dukmon; 02-08-2023 at 10:42 AM.
craina (02-08-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:32 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

From what I have observed on other 996 (not sure if this also applies to GT3), is that breathing mods will start to lean out the afr slightly. While the car can, and does compensate, the leaner AFR does make the car pull timing slightly. I would hazard the tune is simply adding in some fuel and allowing the ECU to do what it was doing previously in regard to timing.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:35 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For anyone is planning to order FVD cats, I would suggest you contact Gert @ Carnewal instead. I was able to order the same M&M 200 cell cats for $1800 shipped from Gert. FVD markup is significant to say the least.

Last edited by brontosaurus; 02-14-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:54 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Whoa! That is a great savings.

I'd never heard of Carnewal until recently. They came up as a source while discussing car seats.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:59 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gery has all manner of stuff for a variety of Porsches. IGreat guy to deal with as well!
Old 02-14-2023, 12:10 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
For anyone is planning to order FVD cats, I would suggest you contact Gert @ Carnewal instead. I was able to order the same M&M 200 cell cats for $1800 shipped from Gert. FVD markup is significant to say the least.

Ordered mine from FVD last week. Don't see these on Gert's site. Did you just reach out to Gert via email?
Old 02-14-2023, 12:48 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craina
Ordered mine from FVD last week. Don't see these on Gert's site. Did you just reach out to Gert via email?
Yep, just email Gert.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:24 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

@craina @dukmon or anyone else. I recently picked up the FVD/M&M 200 cell x pipe as well and I’m trying to figure out if it’s correct before I tear everything apart.

The thing I noticed immediately is the header flanges are at different angles vertically. The stock FVD picture doesn’t look that way, and I can’t find that kind of angle in stock header pictures. I do see a slight angle in 996.1 GT3 pipes, and I could’ve sworn I read a post about someone being sent a 996.1 pipe instead of .2 but I can’t find it. (Are they different?). Doing rough angle checks on my car, it looks like they should be roughly in the same plane and do not look to have this much deviation.

Top is to the left.

With the other flange flat on the floor

Quick Reply: WTB Catalytic Converters