996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins R&T fitted. Love my car again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022 | 09:30 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

no noise I can remember here (need to get my car together again lol)...no noise in a R&T 6GT2 I drove all week for One Lap either, but exhaust was loud..
Old 05-18-2022 | 10:12 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Anyone have any comments as to the swooshing noise I described from the rear dampers as they compress and rebound at road speeds? It’s a faint noise but it’s there.
Never noticed any swooshing noises. Probably unrelated, but out of curiosity where do you have the ***** set on the shocks?
Old 05-18-2022 | 10:25 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Nor have I. Not that I have taken the car over anything that compresses the rear shocks all that much with normal driving.
Old 05-18-2022 | 12:49 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Anyone have any comments as to the swooshing noise I described from the rear dampers as they compress and rebound at road speeds? It’s a faint noise but it’s there.

Out of an over abudence of caution i would check the wheel bearings as they can give off a wosh but not really with the suspension travel.

Also check sway bar links and mount location. Its possible if not in the correct position the link can rub the axle boot, i think....maybe?
Old 05-18-2022 | 07:34 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Out of an over abudence of caution i would check the wheel bearings as they can give off a wosh but not really with the suspension travel.

Also check sway bar links and mount location. Its possible if not in the correct position the link can rub the axle boot, i think....maybe?
Thanks for the tip. I’ll have a look at these. My car is only 20K miles and 99.9% of that has been street use so I’d be surprised if it were the bearings but you never know! When the sway bar links move the mounting collar generally comes into contact with the driveshaft itself. I don’t think that has happened but will check also.

thanks everyone.

Craina, the shocks are currently at their out of the box settings which is 7 from hard. I did consider winding them up or down to see if the noise changes.
Old 07-04-2022 | 12:55 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Agreed. Ohlins changed the game
Old 07-11-2022 | 02:59 PM
junior23
Rennlist Member

i'm glad to hear about the poly bushings! i am contemplating switching out a few but was always concerned about NVH and especially squeaking! did you do the center puck in the control arms as well?

Originally Posted by Godspeed !
Geesh.............. I so wanted to go this route. But the need to "service" them at their req'd interval reluctantly turned me away. But honestly, not all aluminum bodied shock mfg's tell you of this. OHLINS does. From a technical standpoint, I believe it is due to the aluminum internal tube wall wear which contaminates the oil.

So for me I did the H&R street coil overs on my 99 C2 with Tarret bars, Polyflex bushings everywhere including sub frames. With a somewhat aggressive street alignment, it handles quite well. Buuuuuuuut at the low cost to me ,(for now), of ride comfort. Wife has not ridden in it yet ! From what I have read, this set up is very close to the OE GT3 set up, even down to spring rates. H&R are progressive? Stayed with OE C2 strut mounts, new. BTW Full POLYFLEX really makes a difference without and added NV.

Ohlins is probably the best set up out there. Good tech support. Just be aware of the Service Interval. May not sway many users. Very much worth the effort I'm sure.
Old 07-11-2022 | 03:12 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've experienced MTB shocks making a similar noise post-service as the seals wear in/etc, I wouldn't be surprised to find that different shocks sound different, but for it to be audible in the car, from the wheelwell seems a bit concerning. My last set of Ohlins DFVs (granted, different application) was not audible. I would follow up with technical support.
Old 07-11-2022 | 05:03 PM
Godspeed !
Rennlist Member

Yes, I did the center pucks. No additional NVH.
Old 07-11-2022 | 05:57 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
I've experienced MTB shocks making a similar noise post-service as the seals wear in/etc, I wouldn't be surprised to find that different shocks sound different, but for it to be audible in the car, from the wheelwell seems a bit concerning. My last set of Ohlins DFVs (granted, different application) was not audible. I would follow up with technical support.
thanks for the feedback. It’s certainly an annoyance. Currently working through a potential warranty claim with design 911 who have been great to deal with.
Old 07-12-2022 | 07:13 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

I’ve put a couple of thousand on mine over the past 4+ months and haven’t noticed any whooshing. Not sure I’d hear it though, honestly.

Brontosaurus is right about mountain bike forks making this sound, which is normal.
Old 07-12-2022 | 07:54 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

did you trim the dust boots?
Old 07-12-2022 | 01:53 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

On the locking rings on the shocks, especially the rings securing the rod down to the sway bar, make sure you give a wack with chisel and hammer and maybe locktite.
if the angle of rod down to swaybar is not perfect, high load onto driver side could loosen the attachment on shock. This is more important on driver side since directions of loosening is same as the direction of push from swaybar down rod.
The following users liked this post:
Godspeed ! (07-12-2022)
Old 07-15-2022 | 01:15 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
Brontosaurus is right about mountain bike forks making this sound, which is normal.
I must have missed this. This is exactly what I’m hearing. I assume all shocks make noise when they operate, just don’t expect to hear it in the cabin.

Originally Posted by 993GT
did you trim the dust boots?
I don’t believe so Rob, but cannot be certain as my shop did the job. Is there an issue associated with the boots?

Originally Posted by Norge911
On the locking rings on the shocks, especially the rings securing the rod down to the sway bar, make sure you give a wack with chisel and hammer and maybe locktite.
if the angle of rod down to swaybar is not perfect, high load onto driver side could loosen the attachment on shock. This is more important on driver side since directions of loosening is same as the direction of push from swaybar down rod.
I believe I know what you are referencing as I had one move on my cup car causing the collar to contact the driveshaft. However it just rubbed the collar until it clearanced and I never heard anything!
Old 11-18-2022 | 05:16 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well after 6 months in my car and less than 1,000km (600 miles) of street driving, one of my front shocks has an oil leak. Pretty disappointed. Ohlins Aus are going to take care of it but there is no compensation for labour to R&R. Hopefully just an outlier and not a sign of things to come with this suspension.

Regarding the swooshing noise in the back, Ohlins have advised it’s normal and that my cup car rear strut tops would be amplifying it given there is no rubber bushing between the strut and the top. Windows down and the noise goes away

Last edited by spiller; 11-18-2022 at 05:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Ohlins R&T fitted. Love my car again!