Sponsored by:

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 06:10 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Seats

My car has the stock sport seats. I find it hard to follow all the seats that people get for their 6GT3's. And they are mostly so expensive I hardly pay any attention.
Seems like Euro GT3 are highly sought after and are going for $5K a set or so now. Ouch.

A pair of older leather Recaro Pole Position SPG with 996 sliders just popped up on FB marketplace for $2K and were gone by the time I noticed, 30 minutes after they were posted.
So I got that, darn, missed them feeling.

There are Sparco and other choices too, for less $. Who knows what to do ...
Old 02-10-2022, 06:29 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 329 Posts

It really is a shame we can't get Recaro to run another batch of these.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 554 Posts

Nothing wrong with sparco / amp / other as long as they fit your body.
If you like the feel and the fit, go for it.

I've had 5 sets of the Euro GT3 seats including these I sold for $5500 a few years ago.
They were pretty sweet. The only CFRP ones I'd ever seen.

Still have these awaiting a worthy home (my car).
These are the best 996 variant seats IMO.

The following users liked this post:
blockhed (02-25-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 09:19 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 539 Posts

Showoff!
Old 02-10-2022, 09:23 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Originally Posted by cgfen
I've had 5 sets of the Euro GT3 seats including these I sold for $5500 a few years ago.
They were pretty sweet. The only CFRP ones I'd ever seen.
I saw that listing. They look fantastic!

Still have these awaiting a worthy home (my car).
These are the best 996 variant seats IMO.
And what are these? Also just Euro GT3 or are they a sub-variant?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:21 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Recaro pole position and Profi seats were popular race seats before the halo seats got popular. You might find a set of expired race seats for cheap and recover them. They expire based on date. I got my first set of "replacement" seats for free from a racer who had to update his seats and had no use for the expired units. The Profi comes in a couple different sizes so you have to pay attention unless you're a small guy. I ended up with new Profi XL seats in my GT3. Snug fit and fairly thin padding so you won't want to drive cross country in them
Old 02-11-2022, 11:10 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

@Rootwitch those buckets are the same Euro GT3 seats but with Perlon fabric instead of leather. Breathe better and hold you in more. The Perlon buckets are top notch. I drove them back to back vs the buckets in the 718 GT4 and they're just as good IMO. Actually the plastic in the new ones creaks a bit more than I'd like

Last edited by mistermct; 02-11-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:48 AM
Rootwitch
Racer

Originally Posted by mistermct
@Rootwitch those buckets are the same Euro GT3 seats but with Perlon fabric instead of leather. Breathe better and hold you in more. The Perlon buckets are top notch. I drove them back to back vs the buckets in the 718 GT4 and they're just as good IMO. Actually the plastic in the new ones creaks a bit more than I'd like
Thanks, interesting. I was wondering about Perlon. Carnewal has new Pole Position seats in Perlon for about $2150 a set shipped (without rails and brackets).
Leather are just about $3K a set, a fair premium over Perlon.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:12 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Thanks, interesting. I was wondering about Perlon. Carnewal has new Pole Position seats in Perlon for about $2150 a set shipped (without rails and brackets).
Leather are just about $3K a set, a fair premium over Perlon.
With OEM, price difference is flipped. Definitely rarer, and some think better. Do your math on the brackets and rails.. they add up quick and might be comparable to an OEM complete setup once all the dust settles (at least for leather). If I was set on Perlon, the pole position would likely be my choice today given the price delta to OEM. Or I'd do leather OEM and put in cloth/Alcantara inserts just because I value the OEM seats. I'd definitely choose one of these options vs not as they're all better than the sport seats IMO and I want harness compatibility.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:32 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Originally Posted by mistermct
With OEM, price difference is flipped. Definitely rarer, and some think better. Do your math on the brackets and rails.. they add up quick and might be comparable to an OEM complete setup once all the dust settles (at least for leather). If I was set on Perlon, the pole position would likely be my choice today given the price delta to OEM. Or I'd do leather OEM and put in cloth/Alcantara inserts just because I value the OEM seats. I'd definitely choose one of these options vs not as they're all better than the sport seats IMO and I want harness compatibility.
Rails and brackets would add $425 at Carnewal, bringing the total to around $2600 for pole position perlon. Shipping is free, but there is import duty, I forgot how much that is.
At the moment, that seems to be half or less of what euro GT3 seats are selling for (or at least asking prices).
On the downside, I don't like those big white RECARO letters on the seats and brackets..
Old 02-12-2022, 04:51 PM
mistermct
Racer

That's much better than I expected. I figured 500ish per side with sliders. Another upside of the OEM seats is they'll hold their value if/when you resell. Plus the Porsche logo is worth at least 5hp vs the Recaro
Old 02-13-2022, 11:11 PM
googone20
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 76 Posts

Why hasn’t someone copied these seats and reproduced them at a fraction of the cost? This seems like a guaranteed success in terms of product delivery.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:29 AM
mchang
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by googone20
Why hasn’t someone copied these seats and reproduced them at a fraction of the cost? This seems like a guaranteed success in terms of product delivery.
there are always sets of reproductions on eBay for quite cheap if you’re seeking mostly the appearance
Old 02-14-2022, 01:05 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by googone20
Originally Posted by mchang
there are always sets of reproductions on eBay for quite cheap if you’re seeking mostly the appearance
many of us choose to buy as few parts made in china as possible.
The following 3 users liked this post by cgfen:
dukmon (02-14-2022), Marv (02-14-2022), TopPorscheFan (03-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 01:55 PM
mistermct
Racer

I wouldn't buy a seat unless it's OEM or from a known manufacturer. It's a pretty important safety device
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (03-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Seats