Brey Krause fire ext. mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 03:44 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brey Krause fire ext. mount?

Can anyone recommend whether a BK fire ext. fits our stock GT3 seats? I had one for my '02 C2, but it had the cushy power heated seats, but BK's bolted right on w/out removing the seat.
Thanks
Bill
Old 04-20-2004, 04:05 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothings' Ever Easy

The B&K extinguisher bracket fits the GT3 seats but you must first remove the seat from the floor and tip it so the front of the seat is facing upright providing access to the front of the seat and the mounting points. Replacing the center mounting pin will prove challenging and with the right application of expletives, can be done. The extinguisher will mount positioned offset toward the door side to clear the seat position handle, it just clears. Had to drill additional holes in the extinguisher bracket to get appropriate placement.

Hope this helps, any further questions, ask away.....
Old 04-20-2004, 04:17 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray, I also used the proper explatives on '02 C2, but didn't have remove the seat, it tilted back enough. Would you look elsewhere if you had to do it again?
Bill
Old 04-20-2004, 04:30 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Buck,
B&K has always made a quality product and was always concerned with customer satisfaction. I spoke to them on a couple of occasions about this fitment and as always, they were interested in any input from customers. It's probably as easy an installation as your going to find to do this. I actually did it twice, once with the seat out of the car and once with it in. If you have a friend to help removing the seat from the car to prevent those desperation scratches, it is easier to mount the bracket there IMHO. But as I mentioned, it can be done either way. Would I do it again, sure. When complete it's a neat and solid install.

Ray
Old 04-20-2004, 04:56 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray, thanks for the feedback. Spoke w/ BK distributer and they gave, what they called a "newer" model # BK-2020, verses BK 2015, and say I shouldn't have a problem(sales speak?). If you happen to have your model number handy, please post it. If not , no problem. I'll probably go for it.
Bill
Old 04-20-2004, 05:20 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nicer alternative to BK's, imo. I have this in my car and a sub bar can be used with it...

http://www.akkuratpgi.com/fabrication.html

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Buck (et al) I did something different. I mounted my fire bottle to the roll bar. I had a local machine shop make up a set of billet mounts at a cost of $100. Looks very good and I much prefer having it out of the footwell. Ine is on the upright on the passenger side where I can reach it from the driver's seat. My wife pout her behind the drivers seat where it can be easily reached AFTER she exits the car. She is perhaps smarter than I am.
In a pinch a couple of stainless steel hose clamps can be used to mount the extinguisher braket to the bar but the billet aluminum ones add a mice touch to the installation
Old 04-20-2004, 05:50 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty nice indeed, I took a quick peek @ your install sight but didn't see the fire Ex. Did you happen to intall it on the stock seats? Does it mount to the track rails? or under the seat itself?
Thanks
Bill
Old 04-20-2004, 05:54 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob, sounds like a plan, especially if you've got the roll bar/cage, I don't. Really don't know how much I'll track it ....yet. Your wifes's set-up does make a lot of sense.
What's this about mice?
Bill
Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by buckdr1
Pretty nice indeed, I took a quick peek @ your install sight but didn't see the fire Ex. Did you happen to intall it on the stock seats? Does it mount to the track rails? or under the seat itself?
Thanks
Bill
Bill:

I did not do an install gallery for that one...It is mounted to GT3 seat. It will not work with the stock seats. The bracket mounts on the slider rail stud bolts that are used for the sub bar sold by BK or Gert. You in effect stack the sub bar on top of the FE bracket tray. The studs are just long enough to make it through both pieces so that you can adequately tighten the nut. Install requires you to loosen the two rear seat pan bolts and remove the two front ones. Once this is done, you can tip the seat back to get access to the mounting studs on the slider rails. The akkurat plate comes with complete instructions. The install took around 45 min. Cost for the bracket and the billet mounted safecraft 2.5 Halon extinguisher is about $400. Speak to George at akkurat...he is very helpful and designed and fabricated this aluminum piece. It comes in black anodized to. That's what I went with.

Here's a pic of it in my car.

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:32 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

I have the 2020 in mine on the passenger side and I put it in without removing the seat- just tipped it up. Wasn't that bad- done a lot worse- used to it after working on a 914 for 30+ years!!! This is with the factory USA sport seat that came with the car, not the euro seat.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Buck - it's a Canadian thing. Mice is the plural of moose.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:51 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Mine's a 2020 as well.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Bob Rouleau
My wife put her behind the drivers seat where it can be easily reached AFTER she exits the car.
Bob, I would want the fire extinguisher within easy reach while I am still belted in. After all, if the car is on fire, the first thing I am worried about is ME. Once I am out safely, then I'll worry about the car.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Larry, that was my logic as well. Her logic is: car on fire - I'm outta here. I will decide whether to play brave fireman once outside the car. So, that's why mine is within easy reach from inside and her's from outside. As I said I am not sure who is right here.

Quick Reply: Brey Krause fire ext. mount?