Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest enthusiast opinion requested regarding Lotus Esprit vs. GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004 | 05:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

A Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale doesn't have a chance with the GT3.

Ferrari 360CS > Ferrari 360 > Ferrari 355 > 04 Lotus Esprit

Comparing any Lotus to a GT3 is very sad.
Old 04-16-2004 | 06:24 PM
Advanced

I thought the comparison was to the Gt3 not the GT2.

I am not trying to defend the Esprit, again the GT3 is a better car, however the Lotus, if you disregard the fit/finish etc is no dog in the handling department and the v8 turbo does not come on like the old on/off 4cyl turbo.
My post above reflects my experiences with the Esprit and without going into any alignment discussions all the GT3's I have driven have a more understeer/neutral set up and can be pushed into oversteer but not as easily as the Lotus.
Financialy the Esprit makes no sense because with what I have seen , even after all the rebates and discounts you will loose ~ 50% of it's value on a wholesale level in the first year and buying a used one, if you have to have one is the way to go (and you will always take a bath, just not as severe as if you would buy it new).

The reason why I responded to this post was that I actually had some seat time in the Esprit and I could Rf guru some feedback to make a educated decision.

My personnel choice would be the GT3.
Old 04-16-2004 | 08:51 PM
RF GURU
Instructor

I was looking hard at the chrome orange one on ebay, but backed out after thinking about the reliability and quality aspect of the esprit when compared to a GT3, not to mention all the other parameters which go into a buying decision. The Esprit looks great, but given all of the other factors, the GT3 is better in almost every way, and it is exotic, yet. Case is closed for me.
Old 04-17-2004 | 12:05 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 1988952
... but the Lotus posesses one great quality: you can provoke oversteer at will, in any gear.
I'd go it one better. One can provoke oversteer without knowing why!

The design is at least 20 years old. And, about 20 years ago, I had the chance to drive a top-of-the-line Esprit back to back with a 911 Turbo-look at Willow Springs. Not only was the 911 faster, but it would actually tell you what it was about to do BEFORE it did it. Not so with the Esprit.

The track may have changed since then, but the last right-hander before the start-finish straight was a delightful decreasing radius challenge that emotionally upset me every time I went through it. The 911 seemed a bit queasy, but always let me know what it was thinking. The Esprit, on the other hand, was very serene -- right up to the point where the back end let go with a vengeance.

I tried to make excuses for why I had stirred up the gravel catch pit after I came back in. The senior test pilot for the event then took me aside and told me not to be so self conscious about my off-track excursion. He said, "Relax ... Now you know why Lotus doesn't sell as many Esprits as Porsche sells 911s."
Old 04-17-2004 | 01:19 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

GT3 is the better car, hands down, but the Esprit gets the girls...
Old 04-30-2004 | 08:30 PM
Clone
Instructor

Roy, you say that the esprit will be in the 50-60k range in 2-3 years. Would then be a good time to buy one? Already, the "reliable" S4S is in the 30k range. Do you think that buying one that has already depreciated greatly is a wise choice if that type of car is desired? Or is it the fact that after 2-3 years, the acronym "Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious" takes effect? Are there lots of problems with the S4's and V8's?
Old 04-30-2004 | 09:54 PM
RF GURU
Instructor

Default Esprit impressions

It is common knowledge that the Esprit is much higher maintenance than a Porsche. It certainly is not Porsche quality, even in terms of routine maintenance, so buyers of the Esprit buys because they want an opportunity to have the Lotus Experience, a beautiful car that is absolutely supercar level performance and supercar looks, but requires constant babying. With the constant babying required, it may well be more Exotic than a Porsche GT3.

I've had Lotus sales people tell me several times that the GT3 is not exotic, and I know exactly what they mean by that, yeah, my GT3 does not have LOTS OF TROUBLE, USUALLY SERIOUS problems.

I would own an Esprit if I wanted an image booster or need something iconic to look at (iconic wedge shape the Esprit is) and if I had nothing better to do with my time than to worry about what else is not right with the car. Other than that, I have much appreciation for my GT3, it is the best there is today in many ways.
Old 05-01-2004 | 03:06 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Desirability - Porsche people desire the GT3, Lotus nuts desire the Esprit. In the general public, if you parked them side by side, most uninformed people would migrate to the Esprit, who cares?

I have to disagree here. Looks are subjective, but the GT3 would surely be the one people migrated to? The Lotus is positively decrepid when compared side by side to the GT3. Maybe I think this way because the Lotus is so "old hat" here in the UK?
Old 05-01-2004 | 03:18 PM
RF GURU
Instructor

Madcaplaughs,

I love that english candidness of yours-, I am sure I'd feel the same way it the Esprit was a domestic car, sort of the like the Chevy Camaro's here :^)
Old 05-01-2004 | 07:18 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by NJ-GT
A Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale doesn't have a chance with the GT3.
Sure it does -- they are very comparable, if you ignore price. But, for that premium, you definitely get a more exciting/thrilling ride.

Get some seat time in a CS and you'll see the light.

Old 05-01-2004 | 07:53 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Jack
I agree that a CS is a close match for the GT3, on the other hand is has no chance against a GT2 and dollar wise that is a fair match. I almost bought one but the ceramic brakes scared me off, $6,200 for a set of brake pads - no thanks.

Quick Reply: Honest enthusiast opinion requested regarding Lotus Esprit vs. GT3