Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Sean - Amen. My Box X had an EVO and the sound was very very nice
Old 04-09-2004, 01:30 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting reading, and logical too. The motor can only flow a given amount of air at a given rpm, and if the filter doesn't inhibit it in any way then it won't make much difference to anything.
Now add sound into the mix, when you're doing heel-toe and you can really hear your motor blip when you downshift. You may just be hearing what it does anyway, but now it is speaking to you clearly, so thus you feel it's responding better.
If my understanding of these things is correct the only way to really speed up a blip is with a lightened flywheel.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:54 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

Thanks a ton Bob. Great help and an explanation that makes more sense than anything I've ever read about air filter systems.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:00 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one more thought, with the electronic throttle control you are at the mercy of the computer as to how quickly the throttle opens and closes. There are several variables used to calculate the appropriate throttle opening dictated by the computer. The response of a light weight fly wheel would be hampered in this case. So to my thinking, throttle response is a very cloudy issue as compared to the mechanical controls. The bottom line, in MHO throttle response would be affected very little if at all, by a filter change. Lets face it, they just sound better.

In regards to the engine "sucking " comment, it's a positive displacement pump it will suck just as hard at low RPM as high RPM's. The test of a good inlet system is if a minimal pressure at the inlet is the same or close as possible, at high and low demand situations. The main difference in systems is the work expended to get the air into the engine.

Also the filters in question are of different types dry vs. wet or oiled. In the case of an oiled filter you could have more open area and rely on the oil to provide the additional filtering which the dry filter is thought to have.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ray, I was not referring to the vacuum, rather the VOLUME of air being a function of displacement and RPMs. If a filter were to restrict at all, it would have more impact at high RPMS when the volume of air demanded is greater.

Best,
Old 04-09-2004, 10:52 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

Not to split hairs, but actually it's a function of gas velocity, which granted, is dependant on mass flow re: volume (which takes into account temperature, atmospheric pressure, etc.) and inlet cross sectional area, being the main contributors. But in general terms I agree and understand where you're coming from.

Regards
Old 04-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

Well now I understand!

Quick Reply: GT3 Air Filter Change