Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ryan's Basalt Black 6GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021 | 06:29 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

RyanH

You may want to consider using the Swift thrust sheets with the Ohlins. They are inexpensive, highly effective and trouble free.

Old 07-17-2021 | 10:17 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StephenB
RyanH

You may want to consider using the Swift thrust sheets with the Ohlins. They are inexpensive, highly effective and trouble free.
Do you have a link?
Old 07-17-2021 | 10:57 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Marv,

I don't remember where I purchased them...below is a copy of the part number I used (544202).

Old 07-18-2021 | 09:38 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StephenB
Marv,

I don't remember where I purchased them...below is a copy of the part number I used (544202).
Awesome. I found the kit here:

https://www.vividracing.com/swift-sp...151455101.html

It looks like one kit is what you need. Is that correct?

Are you using these? How long have you used them and how are they performing?

I know that there are thrust washer roller bearing alternatives, but given that I drive mostly street I am concerned that dirt will wear out the bearings over time.
Old 07-18-2021 | 09:38 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Marv,

You need 2 kits IIRC. I have had them on my car for more than 4 years. The eliminated the spring wind-up noises I had on the stock GT3 set-up (I have to attack my driveway at at angle & full lock on the steering). So far they have been excellent with zero issues.
I found out about them from another GT3 owner who was running the Swift springs as well. He mentioned that he had been running Swift springs and thrust washer for several years. Below is a snap of when I installed my Ohlins.

Old 07-20-2021 | 01:22 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Got way behind on posting....stupid work.

Got these in the other week but had to wait to install them since I've been dicking with trying to get the car fully registered for the entirety of the last month. I DID finally get plates yesterday. A few hands were greased in the process...smh....CA things...

These M&M long tube headers and catless X pipe came as well, super stoked to have been able to pick these up

I was pretty apprehensive about getting the header bolts off given how they looked. I sprayed with PB Blaster when the engine was still hot. A few hours later, I hit it with a 1/4" drive impact wrench on all bolts. Then I proceeded to hit each with a hammer and 3/8 socket extension.

Much to my surprise, all except one came out without too much fuss. The final one I'm waiting for a bolt extractor kit to come since I managed to round the head a little bit.

I'm pretty sure I am going to fister mod the stock exhaust. I didn't see any mention of that in the 996 GT3 subforum but the car sounded fantastic with catless X pipe and stock mufflers, I just want it a tad louder. With that being said, most would consider it on the louder side when WOT. Zero cabin drone though so hopefully a fister modded pair of stock mufflers should provide the perfect balance with the catless X pipe of aggressively loud when on throttle but zero drone on freeway.
Old 07-20-2021 | 01:48 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Nice update. I just installed a set of Ohlins R&T on my 996 along with Terett adjustable end links. It was surprisingly a smooth install. Although not a GT3, I recently drove a C2 996 with a catted x pipe and fister modded stock mufflers and absolutely loved the sound. Zero drone and once you got north of 4500rpm things really start to sing. Higher pitch and very motorsport like. I think you'll like this.
Old 07-20-2021 | 02:32 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Has anyone setup their 6GT3 suspension a little higher than factory? I'm at 111mm front and 133mm rear right now. I'd like to set it to 125mm front and 135mm rear as I'm scraping the under trays half the time I exit my driveway. The entry into my garage is tricky as it immediately slopes down. I think 115mm and 125mm F/R would be more of an issue than now.
Old 07-20-2021 | 03:11 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RyanH.
I'm pretty sure I am going to fister mod the stock exhaust. I didn't see any mention of that in the 996 GT3 subforum but the car sounded fantastic with catless X pipe and stock mufflers, I just want it a tad louder. With that being said, most would consider it on the louder side when WOT. Zero cabin drone though so hopefully a fister modded pair of stock mufflers should provide the perfect balance with the catless X pipe of aggressively loud when on throttle but zero drone on freeway.
I bought a set of stock cans from another member and sent them to Fister. I am pretty happy with them on my otherwise stock exhaust. Not too much louder than stock until you give it a boot full of throttle. No drone at all. Factory mufflers were just too quiet for a car like this but I didn't want to go full crazy loud like HDA's dundon setup.
Old 07-22-2021 | 11:10 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

So, finally got around to installing the M&M headers and catless X pipe. With the mufflers off, I of course had to start the car and listen to it without cans:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zzs3SqH9ot6wZUzX7

My neighbor was over and thought it was a good idea that we go for a drive:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VJE2q1GWMAN71LmA6

The shocking thing is that, at a constant rpm, it doesn't sound any louder than stock mufflers and a catless x pipe. It's hard to believe but I swear, on the freeway, we were talking without straining and I wouldn't hesitate one second to do a long road trip with it like that. Now, at cold idle and WOT, holy hell it's loud and effin glorious.

With that being said, there's no way I'm putting mufflers back on. It's pretty much perfect right now. Bypass pipes are ordered and hopefully they'll be here for the weekend.

Oh, and this saves 28kg off the rear.
The following 2 users liked this post by RyanH.:
2mAn (08-19-2024), craina (07-23-2021)
Old 08-04-2021 | 02:11 AM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

So, I started the Ohlins install and I hit a snag since it appears my car has GT3 Cup rear top mounts. Anyone know if I can simply order this part and get it to work by replacing the Ohlins spring seat:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...at-99634351190

Or, should I get Tarrett mounts instead? Feel like it'd be a downgrade going from cup mounts to Tarrett.

And of course pictures:

Got the first one in:

GT3 Cup rear monoball top mount:

Trying to figure this out earlier, I put the old spring seat on to see if that'd work (ID too large). The Ohlins spring seat is designed to sit flush against the top mount.

Old 08-04-2021 | 02:25 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dumb question, but what is the problem?

BTW, those were made by Mode Engineering.

Ray
Old 08-04-2021 | 02:32 AM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Call Ohlin’s. I’d be surprised if they didn’t have an optional mount.
Old 08-04-2021 | 02:48 AM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Dumb question, but what is the problem?

BTW, those were made by Mode Engineering.

Ray
Hi Ray,

You're up late. The Ohlins are designed to mount flush against the top mount like this:

I can check again but I don't think that silver piece will seat properly on the shape of the Cup mounts.
Old 08-04-2021 | 03:20 AM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

This is the issue:

I sent Brian Day an email at Euro Parts West since they distribute for Mode and I contacted them a month back. I'm guessing he'll be able to track down the right spring seat so I can keep the monoballs.

Quick Reply: Ryan's Basalt Black 6GT3