Sponsored by:

ultimate garage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:10 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage floor

Kudos to the lovely garage floor.....................but I too would recommend something with more grip................or wear really grippy shoes......perhaps sport pilots..........well it sounds good. No....kidding aside, the floor/garage looks awesome. I have foung though that a small spot of oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, etc combined with hard sole shoe equals a flying "W".................you know the one..............where you swear you feet actually struck the ceiling before you landed flat on you back...........Not to mention how soft the floor is. I am building a 2nd garage in preparation for my May / June SY GT3..................and of course my battlescarred 01 Ducati 996SPS. I,m considering stamping the floor slab with colored concrete in a stone texture. Rubber stamping today in So Cal runs about $ 6.50 / sq ft vs $4.00/sq ft for standard concrete. The stone texture ressembles large slabs of rock complete with " cracks" which look cool as well as provide good slip resistance. You can seal it with a low gloss or flat sealer with texture additives which create even better anti slip characteristics. Staining with Muratic base concrete stain can enhance the look to a point where you think its real stone slab. The only bummer is that you will have to roll your floor jack slowly to prevent surface marks.....a small price to pay in my book. There are also patterns which resemble cobblestones........a really cool look to go with your 1957 300 SL Gullwing ( which I can,t afford!) or you P car. Just a consideration. Will place fotos when I do mine if interested. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:54 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Even if you don't wrench much, a good air compressor with appropriate power supply and space for the wind-up reel is very helpful- if only for airing tires. Since our cars need a battery charger when not in use, I'd add a power outlet near the drivers door, and a place for the cord and male end when unplugged.
One idea that might not work out is one I've been toying with. Dust is an issue where I live (Indiana Dunes), and when the garage door is up for extended time, the car gets dusty. I'ive wondered about a very small ceiling mounted pully and draw string system to allow a very quick lowering of a car cover. Might not be a concern where you live. AS
Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 PM
JLJ

Originally posted by KLZ
JLJ,

Nice choice of colour, just curious which dealer did you order your GT3 from? Mine's is expecting to arrive in late June or July
pfaff..i have a july build date
Old 04-01-2004, 01:07 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Kudos to the lovely garage floor.....................but I too would recommend something with more grip................or wear really grippy shoes......
Craig - actually it's not that slippery after awhile. When we first put it in we had it professionally sealed and shined - it's looked great but you are right about oil (or water) on the surface. After a couple of weeks it dulls down and loses some of that slipperyness.

I think your idea of the stamped concrete is a great one - I'll consider that for the next house! I am lucky now because I have a seperate 40x20 building on the property that serves as our workshop. My wife has all of her metal working stuff in there (welding, plasma cutting, grinding etc.) which is nice because the art sculpting is really messy. I also work on my motorcycles in there. This helps keep that garage as strickly a storage space and keeps the clutter out.

I want to see photos of you new garage when you are building it. I love the stamped concrete look.

-Kevin
Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
yongster
Racer

JLJ,

Dexter day is on the 7th of May, not 11th. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to play hookey on the friday or not. I'll wait and see.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:37 PM
JLJ

Originally posted by yongster
JLJ,

Dexter day is on the 7th of May, not 11th. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to play hookey on the friday or not. I'll wait and see.

you are right. well see you there maybe
Old 04-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Steve N.
Racer

Nothing special about the garage - but at least the machinery is in order!

Actually, after some soul searching I decided to allow the GT2 to move on to a new owner - transport picked it up the day after this picture.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/img_0366.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/img_0371_copy1.jpg
Old 04-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm with AS - every guy needs a compressor and air tools in his garage. A good cord-reel trouble light (plugs in next to the garage door opener on the ceilng) is also a treat. Of course you need 36,000 bucks of Hazet aor Snap On tools (you can never have enough tools).
Old 04-04-2004, 10:50 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ultimate garage?

Originally posted by JLJ
im building a second garage on my house for my car and motorcycles. i would like any pictures of ultimate garages or ideas of what i should consider putting in besides the obvious tools and storage..garage will not be huge 28 ft by 11 ft. Thanks
I started off with plans to build a detached 2 car garage and it excalated into a 3 car with a loft. Build it as big as you can...you will appreciate it later. I just finished framing mine and I'll be installing the stairs and doors soon. It will be full brick when finished. It's 36' wide X 30' deep.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:05 PM
JLJ

Default Re: Re: ultimate garage?

Originally posted by peterjcb
I started off with plans to build a detached 2 car garage and it excalated into a 3 car with a loft. Build it as big as you can...you will appreciate it later. I just finished framing mine and I'll be installing the stairs and doors soon. It will be full brick when finished. It's 36' wide X 30' deep.
very nice..i dont have the land for that but im going as big as i can considering the lot size
Old 04-05-2004, 01:58 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thought on the textured concrete floor is the cracks will collect any and all dirt and dust which is a real pain to clean.

Kevin - kudos on the beautiful garage.

Ultimate garage - Lights in the floor, hot water heater, drain in floor, parts washer, air compressor....

Quick Reply: ultimate garage?