53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

996 GT2/GT3 National Gathering

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020 | 12:54 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Default 996 GT2/GT3 National Gathering

Ok the title is a click bait, I admit it...

but I was thinking it would be cool if we could get some of our cars together for a weekend of fun.

renting the whole track is something I have been thinking about and would require inviting our 997 siblings to make the cost reasonable.

I have contacted a couple of organizations and it is feasible depending on tracks. Nope, not COTA!

I was looking at something in between coasts...which brings me to Barber Motorsport in Alabama and Road Atlanta in Georgia, 2 amazing tracks in my opinion.

Chin Motorsport has a trackday at Barber on the weekend of March 20/21. It’s a great place even just to visit the local museum, if you don’t track your car. Anyone interested?

would any of you make the trip / ship the car? Track weekend with Chin is $650, add shipping costs and hotels. Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2020 | 11:33 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Watching this with sincere interest.....

The following users liked this post:
HDA (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020 | 08:49 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Road Atlanta is my preference but I imagine they are booked up.
Old 12-29-2020 | 09:00 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
Road Atlanta is my preference but I imagine they are booked up.
If we do Road Atlanta, ideally we would look at the weekend either before or after the Petit LeMans race which happens early October.

We could also try to arrange shared transportation with Reliable Carriers from San Francisco, L. A. , NJ, FL etc...
Old 12-30-2020 | 11:17 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Road America. This can also be done in conjunction to one of the PCA regions to cut down on costs. For example, my local region in MN rents out Road America (in 2021 it will be June 21-22) and it is typically a low attendance event with 3 run groups. Lots of track time and room on track. Elkhart Lake is a fun little town for dinners & drinks after the first day of driving.
Old 12-30-2020 | 11:49 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
Road America. This can also be done in conjunction to one of the PCA regions to cut down on costs. For example, my local region in MN rents out Road America (in 2021 it will be June 21-22) and it is typically a low attendance event with 3 run groups. Lots of track time and room on track. Elkhart Lake is a fun little town for dinners & drinks after the first day of driving.
This may be your best bet for getting folks to come from the coasts where most of these 996gt3s probably sleep. Given the incredible spa/restaraunts/town at Kohler, WHISTLING STRAIGHTS, Road America, Chicago flights, you are probably going to be able to pull much more attendance from the elite.

Regardless good luck with planning as I know something like this takes a lot of time to get rolling.

Last edited by Olemiss540; 12-30-2020 at 11:54 AM.
HDA (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020 | 01:23 PM
JesusFast
Pro

I'm in for Road America.
(pending dates)
Old 12-30-2020 | 03:05 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
Have not thought about Road America!

I agree that as a first effort we may need to piggyback an event already happening such as PCA, Chin etc.

happy to hear other track suggestions you may have as well as feedback from our owners on the coasts.

i feel road Atlanta is as easy to reach as Road America with flights.
Old 12-31-2020 | 12:51 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

I haven't driven Road Atlanta but I have Road America in a GT3. The long track allows room for cars to spread out - which is good if you have drivers at different levels. That said - Road America is a fast track with some long straights and the dreaded KINK. It would be good to have instructors available for newer drivers who have never seen the track. It is possible to private rent the track and as noted above there are several groups that rent it. Open it to a test and tune run group for Cup Cars and you'd probably have a full roster. Essentially a GT2, GT3, and derived Cup car event. Chicago PCA has 2 events - Memorial Day and Labor Day. Memorial Day is purely a DE event with no race. Labor Day is a big race event with DE and David Murray generally has the track rented for 2 days before the PCA event. It draws folks from all over the country and Canada. Milwaukee PCA used to do an event there and still might. In the past Milwaukee opened the event to other marques in order to fill it. You could register over 300 cars and not fill the place.

Last edited by jpoint; 12-31-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2020 | 10:32 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpoint
I haven't driven Road Atlanta but I have Road America in a GT3. The long track allows room for cars to spread out - which is good if you have drivers at different levels. That said - Road America is a fast track with some long straights and the dreaded KINK. It would be good to have instructors available for newer drivers who have never seen the track. It is possible to private rent the track and as noted above there are several groups that rent it. Open it to a test and tune run group for Cup Cars and you'd probably have a full roster. Essentially a GT2, GT3, and derived Cup car event. Chicago PCA has 2 events - Memorial Day and Labor Day. Memorial Day is purely a DE event with no race. Labor Day is a big race event with DE and David Murray generally has the track rented for 2 days before the PCA event. It draws folks from all over the country and Canada. Milwaukee PCA used to do an event there and still might. In the past Milwaukee opened the event to other marques in order to fill it. You could register over 300 cars and not fill the place.
If we could plan it properly, I could get some other instructors (During the June 21-22 Nord Stern PCA event) who will already be there with their own cars to work with drivers that need some assistance. I'm an instructor and would be willing to help as well. While RA is a big track and the kink is tricky, I think that if you have some good past track experience, some instruction and a drivers meeting that explains the difficult parts of the track, a decent driver can make their way through there pretty good after a few sessions.
Old 12-31-2020 | 11:50 AM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

I would be interested if the event were held after April 15 (if tax season ends normally this year). For individuals driving their GT3 to the track weather might be a consideration in March.

Regards

Pranqster
Old 12-31-2020 | 12:26 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

I went to Werks Reunion at Amelia Island last February, before COVID hit. Out of thousands of Porsche's there I did not see one single 996 GT3 or GT2. And actually saw only 2 997 GT3 RS's, no regular 997 GT3s.
Old 12-31-2020 | 01:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

sounds like fun.
too far for me.

ENJOY
Old 01-01-2021 | 12:16 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

If coordinated with another significant event - it is possible to find a ride for your car with someone traveling to the event with an open space. A couple years back 2 of us hitched a ride on a transport coming out of Florida that stopped in Chicago on the way to RA. It worked out great. I hitched a ride back from an event that I drove to and broke the car when a shop had an empty space on its transporter. There are many ways to get to this kind of event - especially if you have it at a bucket list track. Road America is probably the biggest bucket list track in the "middle" of the country.
HDA (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021 | 12:43 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

I'm in for a Road America meetup as well.

Quick Reply: 996 GT2/GT3 National Gathering