Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020 | 03:19 PM
Mortared
Instructor

Default Intake leak

Hey everyone. Have recently had 2 off track excursions (one in rain) where I have had a pretty violent spin with an abrupt stop. Both times car died (both feet in). When I restarted, the car ran like sh@&. Limped back to paddock and put her on trailer. Found out after the first time I had a massive air leak. Intake plenum hose had come off the intake. Thought maybe my engine mounts had gone bad and there was too much movement so I went from Wevos to Rennline solids. That’s when the track day happened in the rain and the same thing happened when I spun. Now I know the obvious answer is to stop spinning my car off the track but beyond that, has anyone ever heard of this being an issue? The entire us it is basically floating on top of the manifold. Maybe some of the rubber hoses are getting old and stuff and don’t flex enough? Replace?? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone? Thanks for any advice

Old 12-15-2020 | 03:43 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

I think that is a known issue. Not sure what you might do to make it more resilient except consider it a "self correcting problem".

That is, stop spinning out!
Old 12-15-2020 | 03:56 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Mine were all replaced in 2019 during engine out service. After only 27K miles they were hard as a rock and cracking. Anyone who does an engine out service on these cars should replace those every time they are not that expensive, IIRC like $12 each.
Old 12-15-2020 | 04:30 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

It is fairly common from all of the track threads I have studied and I do not believe it to be I indicative of a larger problem.

How hard was it to correct? Much downtime in the pits afterwards?
Old 12-15-2020 | 07:01 PM
Mortared
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marv
I think that is a known issue. Not sure what you might do to make it more resilient except consider it a "self correcting problem".

That is, stop spinning out!

Couldn’t agree more
Old 12-15-2020 | 07:04 PM
Mortared
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Mine were all replaced in 2019 during engine out service. After only 27K miles they were hard as a rock and cracking. Anyone who does an engine out service on these cars should replace those every time they are not that expensive, IIRC like $12 each.

I actually was wondering that but mine were all still soft and pliable
Old 12-15-2020 | 07:12 PM
Mortared
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
It is fairly common from all of the track threads I have studied and I do not believe it to be I indicative of a larger problem.

How hard was it to correct? Much downtime in the pits afterwards?

I was unable to correct it at the track the first time because I couldn’t find what was wrong. Put it on the trailer and brought it back. You don’t really have enough room to fix it without undoing the engine mounts and dropping the engine down to the cross member. Not that hard but need a jack. To support the engine. Gives ya about 3-4 inches to work. Then not too bad. You need more that 2 hands because you have to compress it from both sides while you are tightening the hose clamps. Came up with a rig to see if helps.......if and when I spin again. Not compressing them but snug. Assume Porsche designed them to float for a reason??

Old 12-15-2020 | 07:29 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Aaah I thought we were talking about intake runner boots, not the intake plenum boots. Sorry!
Old 12-15-2020 | 07:47 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

This was a problem when the cars were new, I don’t think it’s because of aged components.

Get to that clutch pedal quicker next time, it’s a product of the engine turning backwards.
Old 12-15-2020 | 10:42 PM
Mortared
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Aaah I thought we were talking about intake runner boots, not the intake plenum boots. Sorry!
Nick, new avatar. Didn’t recognize your new one. Yes , Plenum boots
Old 12-15-2020 | 10:43 PM
Mortared
Instructor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
This was a problem when the cars were new, I don’t think it’s because of aged components.

Get to that clutch pedal quicker next time, it’s a product of the engine turning backwards.

You called it exactly, I actually remember thinking to myself “both feet in” a little later than I should have. Thanks
Old 12-16-2020 | 12:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

agreed.
that may have happened to someone i know
cough cough

Quick Reply: Intake leak