Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping noise from rear passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020 | 09:35 AM
mnwild
Rennlist Member

Default Chirping noise from rear passenger side

03' GT2, chirping noise started about a month ago, haven't been able to figure out what is causing it. It doesn't happen all of the time but seems to show up when accelerating in lower gears, clutch in or out does not matter. Doesn't usually happen when the car starts up but has a few times and lasts about 20 secs and is gone. One time it ran longer and I was able to pop the rear and the noise seemed to be coming from the secondary air pump but I couldn't say for sure and that very well could have been a different noise. Noise seems to be more frequent after I've been driving the car for longer periods of time.

I changed the S belt last weekend, I spun all of the pulleys with the belt off and none had any indications of noise or play. I've read it could be a loose spark plug, have been dreading taking the rear apart to check but likely will be doing that soon here. I did change the spark plugs myself 4-5 months ago so maybe this is the issue, people say no codes were being thrown but plug was about 1/4 turn out and once tightened noise went away.

If anyone has any recommendations or experience, let me know. Took it to the local shop and they were unable to figure out what it was.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2021 | 05:04 PM
mnwild
Rennlist Member

I've come across many threads that cover the issue I was having but never have the solution so here is the solution for this thread -

Issue ended up being loose exhaust straps, which a local shop had replaced the bolts in and supposedly tightened while trying to fix this exact same noise. Turns out they used some cheap aluminum bolts that snapped in half when I was taking them off. Put new bolts in and tightened up and noise has not returned.
Old 01-18-2021 | 06:22 PM
1970 911
Advanced

delete

Last edited by 1970 911; 01-18-2021 at 06:23 PM. Reason: problem solved

Quick Reply: Chirping noise from rear passenger side