Sponsored by:

"EVO" magazine,,,GT3 mk I vs II.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 12:28 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by brh986
I vaguely understand the terminology in alignment (i.e. toe in/out, camber, etc.) but I have no idea what one would want to do with those things on a car to make it handle properly (with the exception of negative camber being good for track).

So the GT3 has too much front toe out from the factory? I heard that sometimes toe out on the front is a quick fix to make the car track straight. Is that true?
No, I think you have it backwards but it's easy to get confused between the two. Toe in is generally used to make the car track straighter. Toe out will generally make it "twitchier", it will also make it turn in quicker. I have mine set for almost no toe in (1/32) and it wanders a little on rough roads but not bad. Steering is definitely more responsive than stock settings.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:42 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I'm sure I got it mixed up.

I'm confused though, correct me if I am wrong.

The NEW GT3 comes from the factory with too much toe out.

Toe out makes the car turn in quicker.

Toe out makes the car "twitchy"

The only gripe the mags have with the new GT3 vs the old is that it is "twichty" and it doesn't turn in as quickly.

How can you fix both their complaints via the alignment? If you give it more toe out it will turn in faster but become "twitchier" and if you give it less toe out the twichyness goes away but it doesn't turn in as quickly..
Old 03-07-2004, 01:56 PM
9caregiver
Racer

After some time in the car you will get used to the toe out. The testers only get a short ammount of time in the car.

Best,

Don
Old 03-07-2004, 02:14 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Why not just change it?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Having toe out on the front will make the car wonder at speed & under braking, staight up toe, 0 toe, not in or out is a good compromise. You can adjust the sway bars to change the balance from under to oversteer.

What also can make the car twitchy is to much or not enough toe in on the back of the car, the more toe you have in back the more power you can lay down on exit, 1/32 to 1/16 for street/track, 1/8+ toe in for a track/street set up. If you have any toe out in the rear it will become undrivable, basically it will not track straight, you never want to have this.

Camber for a good street/track set up would be 1.7 to 2.0 , this will balance the wear on the tires for street driving and track driving, on the street you will wear out the insides of the tires with to much camber, it will happen very quickly.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:40 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

brh - not to be rude but try search...this topic has been hashed and re-hased over and over again with many people but the correct answers haven't changed...
Old 03-08-2004, 02:19 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

rear toe out on a 911?!?! ...I haven't even driven one yet and I'm getting chills just thinking of that combination.

Did somebody say "accident waiting to happen?"

If the magazine testers claim that it's both twitchy, yet unresponsive to turn-in (comparatively, of course)... then it sounds like the back toe is out and/or the front is to far in, not aligned, or has excessive tire pressure. But unless they say whether it's the front or back that is twitchy, I guess we'll never know.

Sorry if I'm rehashing old news, I'm new to the GT2/GT3 forum (I lust after your cars, fyi).
Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

One tester mentioned that the MKI GT3 has a better "soundtrack".
Does anyone have a mpeg or wmv file of the MKI sound?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Weng
Instructor

I disagree with the tester's opinion on soundtrack. I've owned both and IMHO, the Mk2 has a significantly better soundtrack. Both have similar induction howls >6,000rpm - its just that you get to enjoy it a bit longer in the Mk2 with 400 more rpm to the redline. The Mk2's stock exhaust note also sounds better from mid range onwards.

Quick Reply: "EVO" magazine,,,GT3 mk I vs II.....