Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 at Willow once more........

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ken, I know you are fast in your 911 race car, and you are expected to be fast in the SR3 this year. The comment about the seat in the SR3 was a joke. I know it has a glass seat. Unfortunately, I can't run with you guys as I live in PA. Maybe someday.

But I stand by my comment that a Radical - or any race car with aero and downforce and 160mph top speeds - is not a good car for a beginner to learn on. You obviously know what you are doing in a race car.

But you are right, its the wealthy guys who's kids aren't starving that keep the Morris' of the world in business. If Mac has the cash and just wants to play, then he should. But he shouldn't delude himself into thinking that he will learn how to race or drive a race car by starting out in that car.

Ken, you say the Radical is the easiest thing you have driven on the track? I find that incredibly different from my experiences. Sure, if Mac or someone else wants to drive around at 70% of the capabilities of the car, you can feel fast and it is easy. But once on the edge of aero and downforce, there is nothing easy about these cars.

Edited to add this: While I don't have it on my car, I hear grat things about the felxibility of the motec. Even things like shock settings and real time downforce readings while running are possible. I have had the Pi and Stack in my cars and they both are very good. But for the very advanced feature set, I would go Motec with all the goodies.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:58 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Smile DTR, great thoughts......

DTR, some great info on the lap times etc, and thanks for the safety advice too, I certainly didn’t take it the wrong way.

Just so you know a little bit about me, I come from a racing family, my Dad made his living racing for a long time, and he was also president of the British Racing Driver's Club for a few years. My brother both raced, and has a company building race cars back in the UK. They are the fast ones in the family! I had ample opportunity as kid to prove myself racing, in the dirt on the farm, and on the tracks of the UK, and I never had the edge or ability to win.

Being a great racer requires perfect vision, just like being a jet fighter pilot, so either you have it or you don’t. I don’t! Both my bro & my Dad have 20/20 vision, and can read a newspaper in their peripheral vision. I have poor eyes, wear glasses, have poor depth perception, and when I get nervous tend to suffer tunnel vision. When I’m feeling calm I can turn smooth laps at a speed I enjoy, and that is all I’m looking for. I know that I will never be as fast as the ones I grew up around, and thus have no shame in being slow, I’ve been the slow one in the family my whole life!

I'm now just into my 40's, and can afford for the first time cars that I never thought I'd be able to. Since my family has always viewed driving as an art form I decided it was time I do a little something to reconnect with what I've spent so long rebelling against. I have no intention of going racing, because if I couldn't win as a teenager I'm certainly not going to now, I’m just enjoying learning to drive well on a track, it’s a hobby.

In terms of the Radical, I have driven the Formula Fords at Derek Daly's up in Vegas, and the Radical is a piece of cake compared to them. I'm not sure how much you've driven them, but they are easier, cleaner and more neutral than almost anything out there. I have this on very good authority from the family back home, they have a lot of experience with the Radical, as well as many other race cars. My Bro says it is the easiest thing I could get into for what I want to do, driving clean and fast at open track days.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark Dalen put Motec on his new Stohr and seems to be drooling pretty heavily over it. Shock sensors and everything. I'm thinking of doing it on a bit more modular scale (if at all). Only so many $$$ I can devote to each car!

Not sure which Radical has a 160 top end. Certainly not an SR3 1300 on any of the West Coast tracks. 135 into 9 at Willow. Under 130 into 1 at Thunderhill. Sears and Laguna? Ha.

You're right about the aero zone, but since it's not linear you're going to have to bust quite hard through the end of mechanical grip to get to it. I just don't see beginners getting there. And if they want to run in comfort of the mechanical-only area I stand by my "safe for a beginner" comment.

Discussed in plenty of detail over on the DSR board, and lots of relevant data points from David Ferguson of Veracity Data.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:20 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Hey Ken,

You're either running full wing with a headwind, or your speedo is not set correctly for the gears you're running. You should be seeing much higher speeds than that. I do. Also, top speed at California speedway is way up there...
Old 03-05-2004, 02:51 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

DJ,

I took it from you and Mark that 135 was where they topped out at Willow. My only time there was day 1 and 2 with the car, post engine break-in, so I don't have a clue.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:12 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally posted by macfly
Ken, I have never timed myself at Willow, but I have kept average speed logs using the car's onboard speed reader. In my old M3 I could do a session at an average of 88mph, so far in the GT3 my best is 83mph. I expect as I get more used to the car it will climb above the M3's average. Once I have the feel of the car down I'll be changing up onto the Sport Cup tires, which should give the car a significant boost.
I'm guessing your M3 was not stock if you were that much quicker in it than the GT3. E46? What mods?
Old 03-05-2004, 11:50 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I'm guessing your M3 was not stock if you were that much quicker in it than the GT3. E46? You are correct.....
What mods?
PT Kline full race suspesion, 550/500 lb springs with specially valved Konis.
Ground Control sway bars.
Solid bushings throughout.
Dinan chip & exhaust.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by race911
DJ,

I took it from you and Mark that 135 was where they topped out at Willow. My only time there was day 1 and 2 with the car, post engine break-in, so I don't have a clue.

Sorry Ken, you must have misunderstood. Mark said 135 through turn nine, not at the entrance.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Originally posted by race911
Not sure which Radical has a 160 top end. Certainly not an SR3 1300 on any of the West Coast tracks. 135 into 9 at Willow. Under 130 into 1 at Thunderhill. Sears and Laguna? Ha.
Got some more info Ken.

The Merloy with a 1000cc saw 157 at Fontana. I imagine a 1300 Rad there would be about 145-150mph. 1500turbo Rad should be a touch faster than the Merloy at about 160. And I would imagine a Stohr would be pretty close to the Merloy.

Of course this all assumes a monkey at the controls with enough skill to mat the throttle early and often.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by Dirt Track Racer; 03-05-2004 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3 at Willow once more........