Sponsored by:

Was never into bras...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:37 AM
goplay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was never into bras...

Sorry to disappoint those of you who thought this was about something else!

SpeedLingerie asked to borrow my GT-3 for a day in order to create a custom fitted bra for the model. Since they are close to my office and in the spirit of "paying it forward" I let them take it for a day.

I have never been into car bras but I have to admit as far as car bras go, this looks pretty good. The picture doesn't show all the detail, but there is a black mesh over the intakes, and clear plastic over the Porsche crest and the side markers.

(For those looking really closely, I have Cup car mesh grill covers painted silver installed)

Apparently Speedlingerie has about a dozen of these on order now.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Very nice. Is that a coffee cup in a holder on your dash??
Old 02-24-2004, 11:43 AM
goplay
Instructor

I was wondering if anyone would notice the coffee cup.

Hey, it's a daily driver... that I had a Laguna Seca the day before!

Old 02-24-2004, 11:45 AM
goplay
Instructor

Default Another picture...

Good job continuing the lines of the car through the bra with the stitching.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2004, 01:30 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Do you have colored stitching on your interior? If it's blue by any chance I'd love to see a picture. Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 02:02 PM
goplay
Instructor

My interior is Natural Grey. I got an early GT-3 and blue wasn't available at that time. I wanted contrasting stitching as well, but that wasn't available either.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:49 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

I am interested in the cost of the bra. They do not list the GT3 on their web site??
Old 02-24-2004, 03:02 PM
goplay
Instructor

I don't know what their pricing is. The GT-3 product is brand new, the pcitures above are for the freshly made prototype.

Give them a call and ask for Richard.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:55 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wooow!!! That bra is awesome as far as bra's go... Just ordered mine in sealgrey. 5-7 days w/ shipping. I can tell you it is much more expensive than a typical Colgan, if that helps, but looks like it's worth it...

Last edited by rockitman; 02-24-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Can anyone who has had one of these before let me know if it really does not damage the paint and how well they protect against chips? I am toying with buying one to use on DE events.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:32 PM
goplay
Instructor

The inside is made with a felt like material. If the surface is clean, there shouldn't be any issue. Some people have commented that long term use of a bra might result in different fading patterns.

As far as protection is concerned, the material is a high quality vinyl. The Porsche crest and side markers are covered with a clear plastic like that used for convertible rear windows.

The one difference I noticed with the speedlingerie product is that it is very well fitted to the body and has plastic flaps on the ends that tuck strategically into the wheel well and other parts. As a result, it should work well for track events since it shouldn't flap at speed. According to speedlingerie their products are used regularly by people who track their cars.

That said, I've never owned a bra before, and wasn't planning on buying the speedlingerie product. Now that I've seen it, I might consider it for track use.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:36 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Richard sent me these same pictures a few days ago because I had inquired about this last year.

The prices he gave me in an email were:

Nose cover $599.99
Mirror covers $189.99
Old 02-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had Stongard (clear film full package including mirrors/lights/wheel wells) on both 996's I've owned and swear by that process vs. traditional leather bra. Lots of highway driving and not a single mark on the hood!! Problem especially here in the Pacific Northwest is moisture (rains constantly) getting in behind the bra. Seems to me more care (a regiment of taking off, drying, etc...) is required for the leather vs. the film. Also, long term you may see paint discoloration under the covered area if you live in a very sunny climate.

Maintenance on the film version is 0, no issues with car washes, wax ok and more importantly, it's completely invisible. Check out

http://www.stongard.com there is a 2004 GT3 kit. Also, check my avatar photo of my 2001 996. Can you see the film edge?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by TNGT3

The prices he gave me in an email were:

Nose cover $599.99
Mirror covers $189.99
Yup. That's what I paid. I did not want the mirror covers. I like this thing since I can drive the car without any worries of stone chips. Paint discoloration is a non-issue. My car does not sit outside when not in use. Once at an event(non-track) or whatever, it comes off easily. The problem with clear stone guards for me is three fold. 1) Finding a great installer. 2) Everyone I have seen, you can still see the seams(particularly ones on the curves of the aero-kit intakes) and if the car is a light colored car, you will see the dirt build up on the edges. 3) It's permanently stuck to the car, unless you have it removed and once you do, your $600 or whatever it costs is down the drain.
For me, this is the perfect solution for convenient protection. I have to admit, I bought a colgan bra for my Cayenne. The problem with that was since it is my daily driver, it was a pain to keep pulling it on and off when it got wet, ect. My GT3 is not. Plus it was black and I did not like the look. This thing is matched to factory paint and it is tight when on the car by all appearences. It will be much more relaxing for me to drive now, since I won't be worrying about trucks and the like kicking up crap when you are momentarily behind them. I am now looking much more forward to participating in track events because of this. I know, you guys are thinking that I am hung up on the vanity of my car looks and your right. I want my paint to be perfect!!! Let the driving begin!!!! VRRROOOOMMMM
Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Here in FL the vinyl bras just have to come off too often due the the regular rains and you have to very carefully clean the car before they can be re-installed if you don't want to risk scratching the paint. That's why I went for the 3M film. It is easy to clean when washing/waxing the car, just use a Q-tip to chase the seam. Installation _is_ key and you could always get Alan the Invinca-Shield installer folks in Kansas City seem to regularly fly in for installs to make a visit to NY. Luckily he lives about an hour away from me and doesn't charge for the drive.

Quick Reply: Was never into bras...