Sponsored by:

Have to say this

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004 | 12:12 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking Have to say this

I have admired the GT3 since it's arrival but must admit I wasn't too wild about some styling aspects of the car. I take a lot of magazines and read everything I could on the GT3 along with the pictures. I didn't think I cared for the front end treatment, etc.

Well, I guess either I didn't look close enough or pictures don't do justice to the car. I saw (and drove) my first GT3 today. The front end treatment with the integrated RS type 'splitters', the side sill contour, the rear wing treatment, everything is just right and downright beautiful. There is so much more sculpting to the front end than I was able to pick out in the magazines pictures. Your cars are beautiful!

Well, if that discovery wasn't enough for one day. Then I drove it. The sounds upon start up were beyond my wildest expectations. And the driving experience! You know all about that.

You are lucky people. I doubt that I'll be able to afford one anytime soon.
But you can bet I'll be watching the used car values over the next few years.

What a car.

chuck
Old 02-24-2004 | 10:04 AM
billatlanta
Racer

It is nice to hear that feedback from a 993 owner. Coming from a standard 996 to 993, I have found the 993 owners to have the most discriminating palates (and among the most knowledgeable)in terms of Porsche cars. Thanks Chuck. If you are ever in the Atlanta area (I see your are in TN) give me a shout will go for a ride..
Old 02-24-2004 | 10:24 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

Bill-
Did you buy your car at either of the dealers in the ATL ?? I am in the market for a GT3 and noticed that both Jim Ellis and Hennessy have cars in stock for sale. I am based in Jacksonville, FL and wondered if you had seen any of these three cars or could recommend somebody that I could contact that would be professional to deal with.
Old 02-24-2004 | 11:20 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

Chuck, Did you drive T.V.'s SY GT3?
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:04 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Scott - I purchased the car at Ellis. I shopped both Ellis and Hennessy and got a significant better deal at Ellis (on the trade of my 996 C2). My sales guy is Rick Gaunt - low keyed guy great to deal with. I know Ellis has a black one in inventory currently. I ordered my car.
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:44 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Default Re: Have to say this

Originally posted by csertich
I have admired the GT3 since it's arrival but must admit I wasn't too wild about some styling aspects of the car. I take a lot of magazines and read everything I could on the GT3 along with the pictures. I didn't think I cared for the front end treatment, etc.

Well, I guess either I didn't look close enough or pictures don't do justice to the car. I saw (and drove) my first GT3 today. The front end treatment with the integrated RS type 'splitters', the side sill contour, the rear wing treatment, everything is just right and downright beautiful. There is so much more sculpting to the front end than I was able to pick out in the magazines pictures. Your cars are beautiful!

Well, if that discovery wasn't enough for one day. Then I drove it. The sounds upon start up were beyond my wildest expectations. And the driving experience! You know all about that.

You are lucky people. I doubt that I'll be able to afford one anytime soon.
But you can bet I'll be watching the used car values over the next few years.

What a car.

chuck
Funny how timing of things work. I was going to start a thread, saying EXACTLY what Chuck said above....

Anyhow, as a died-in-the-wool 993 addict, I never thought a newer Porsche would impress me.

When the GT3 was starting to show up in the magazines, then in the dealers showrooms, then eventually in the hands of people who had ordered them, now I have seen a few in person.

Like Chuck said, I wasnt too impressed with the images I had seen of the GT3 and her bodylines. I really didnt pay much attention honestly. I guess I had a pair of those air-cooled blinders on my head.

Anyhow, I was presented with the opportunity to ride in one, in a pretty spirited manor to boot! I couldnt resist.

This car had GT3 seats, which I love as well.
I first noticed the car is low and stiff, a good start! As I ride for some time for a proper warm-up, I notice the car really soaks up the bumps, but always remiding you of the track like damped suspension. I think the spring rates and dampening are right-on!

As we get up to higher RPM's, I was awestruck by the exhaust note.. The exhaust sounds absolutely beautiful! Especially at red-line!!!!

Needless to say, I came away very impressed with the GT3.. I think it would be a very bad thing for me to drive one, especially to drive one at the track (DE)

You guys do have a very special car!!!

This is coming from a air-cooled kinda guy, BTW
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:59 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

and the more you drive it and understand it, the more impressive it becomes.... a true super car for a bargain price
Old 02-24-2004 | 04:10 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by watt
and the more you drive it and understand it, the more impressive it becomes.... a true super car for a bargain price
Wattster: Pumping...pumping ...pumping, keep those prices pumping.
Old 02-24-2004 | 04:36 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, I'll help push this snowball...

For several years a 993 C4S was the main car on my want list, planned to purchase this year after finishing the acquisition and restoration of my Roadster race car.

I to went through the same skepticism about any 996, but like everyone else has said, you see it, ride in it, feel it and hear it and you realize the GT3 is the real deal.

My order gets firmed up today, now starts the long wait.
Old 02-24-2004 | 09:38 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Congrats Mark on the ordering of a new GT3.....

C'mon lottery!!!
Old 02-24-2004 | 11:47 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill-thanks so much for the offer. I will let you know if I make it to Atlanta anytime soon.

TNGT3-actually, the car I drove was in Jacksonville, FL. I was there on business and noticed this Guards Red GT3 in the parking lot. Well, as it turned out, it belonged to the owner of the business I was visiting. When the owner recognized that I was an 'enthusiast' and knew of the GT3, he told me that we had to go for a ride. He warmed it up, did a little spirited driving (Chris, you are so right. The sound at redline gave me goosebumps), and then turned the keys over to me. I resisted slightly, he insisted, and I gave in. P-car owners are great people, that's all I can say.

Thanks to all. I love your cars!

chuck
Old 02-25-2004 | 12:52 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

TNGT3-where in the state of TN do you live?

PM me if you'd like.

chuck
Old 02-25-2004 | 03:08 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by csertich
TNGT3-where in the state of TN do you live?

PM me if you'd like.

chuck
Check your mail.

Quick Reply: Have to say this