Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guards Pro or Club?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019 | 05:11 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Default Guards Pro or Club?

I am going to have the LSD replaced in my car, and looking at the current options. Guards has the Pro and Club options, I am thinking Club as it gets both street and track use.

Is there anyone using a torsen type torque biasing type diff? I am assuming that is not a good way to go since it won't lock under braking, or maybe it does?

Thoughts and experience invited.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2019 | 06:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Subscribed...
Old 06-21-2019 | 07:53 PM
Nein_11
Instructor

My engine and trans are currently out of the car so I have no feedback or insight on performance, but I went with the Club per my mechanics recommendation. Work travel dictates that the car is primarily a weekend driver.. hoping to hit the track when I find then time.
Old 06-21-2019 | 08:39 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Originally Posted by Nein_11
My engine and trans are currently out of the car so I have no feedback or insight on performance, but I went with the Club per my mechanics recommendation. Work travel dictates that the car is primarily a weekend driver.. hoping to hit the track when I find then time.
Thanks. Is there any difference with the internals between club and pro? I am pretty sure club is for me too.

Did iyou buy it or have your shop purchase it?
Old 06-22-2019 | 02:44 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I've had the Club and now run the GT2 Pro. Same guts but the Pro has a Chromoly case which is recommended of over 650whp or so...

Last edited by powdrhound; 06-22-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2019 | 10:46 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I've had the Club and not run the GT2 Pro. Same guts but the Pro has a Chromoly case which is recommended of over 650whp or so...
Sooo....You need one I guess John. LOL.
Old 06-22-2019 | 06:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
Thanks. Is there any difference with the internals between club and pro? I am pretty sure club is for me too.

matt will only sell to guards authorized shops, not individuals
Old 06-22-2019 | 07:56 PM
Nein_11
Instructor

Not sure on specifics, but I believe the difference is a harder billet chromoly. I reached out to Guards directly, but ultimately had my mechanic purchase and install for me. Ordered diff through Lufteknic in Richmond, Va.
Old 06-23-2019 | 11:24 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

I'm a noob on these cars and when I got mine a year and a half ago, I just went by the recommendation of the shop that did the coolant lines and all of the other things that you might as well do when the engine is out.
They put in the GT2 Pro 40/60 unit. Not that I really need it at my beginning level LOL.
Old 10-08-2019 | 05:27 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Car is in the shop for the diff rebuild. As noted, Matt only sells the parts now, he does not do the rebuild. From what I understand it is a pretty straight forward rebuild that uses the stock carrier, so no need to set up the ring and pinion. Looking forward to a more stable rear end!

Also, from what I understand this can be done with the engine in the car, it is a little fiddly but can be done.

More later.

I have not been driving the car much, but did drive it to the shop, so had a couple of opportunities to give it the beans, resulting in an instant smile. That sound, that acceleration, so nice, but you knew that.
Old 10-09-2019 | 10:51 AM
black04
Racer

Car is in the shop for the diff rebuild. As noted, Matt only sells the parts now, he does not do the rebuild. From what I understand it is a pretty straight forward rebuild that uses the stock carrier, so no need to set up the ring and pinion. Looking forward to a more stable rear end!

Also, from what I understand this can be done with the engine in the car, it is a little fiddly but can be done.

More later.

I have not been driving the car much, but did drive it to the shop, so had a couple of opportunities to give it the beans, resulting in an instant smile. That sound, that acceleration, so nice, but you knew that.
If I could remove and install the diff by jacking up the car 12 inches and working on my back it must not be very difficult.
Old 10-10-2019 | 04:06 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Diff removed, not that hard. Disconnect axles, move a couple water hoses out of the way, straight forward.

Parts got rerouted BY UPS, So waiting on parts. Took the diff apart. The friction plates are smooth, so pretty sure they were not doing anything. Some remnants of a friction surface on the outer edges but the disc faces were smooth, pretty low friction I think.
Old 10-10-2019 | 04:49 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Linking this thread here, did not find it when I started this thread.

Some good information on LSD - no not that kind of LSD.

Confirms that my friction plates are toast.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ial-lsd-2.html
Old 10-10-2019 | 07:10 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

When refilling the gearbox should we use a friction modifier?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-10-2019 | 08:25 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

When refilling the gearbox should we use a friction modifier?

Thanks
Jeff
NO. Use straight Delvac 75/90

Quick Reply: Guards Pro or Club?