Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pooling after washing GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004 | 02:45 PM
blustem
Instructor

Default Water pooling after washing GT3

What the heck? I broke down and took my car to a detail place and supervised the cleaning.When I opened the engine lid there was foamy water pooling in the airbox(mine has what looks like a K&N filter).I shop vac'd this out but is this normal? What happens if I get caught driving in the rain? Also, I checked the trunk lid and I had a ton of the same foamy/soapy crap pooling in and around the battery/horn area. If you all have any ideas I would like to hear them. Other than this minor glitch I friggin love this car!
Old 02-15-2004 | 02:53 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: Water pooling after washing GT3

Originally posted by blustem
What the heck? I broke down and took my car to a detail place and supervised the cleaning.When I opened the engine lid there was foamy water pooling in the airbox(mine has what looks like a K&N filter).I shop vac'd this out but is this normal? What happens if I get caught driving in the rain? Also, I checked the trunk lid and I had a ton of the same foamy/soapy crap pooling in and around the battery/horn area. If you all have any ideas I would like to hear them. Other than this minor glitch I friggin love this car!
Sounds like they were a little agressive with a high pressure water hose near the lid intake vents. Wash the car yourself...It's much safer....
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:15 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

blustem: There should be a drain/drains in the bottom of the airbox. You might want to pop the cover off and see if yours are blocked. Disclaimer: I can't go out to the garage and verify this theory cause I'm still waiting for my @#$%^ car to be built
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I think a good solution for future washing is to cover the alternator with a plastic bag and cover the airbox entry channel with plastic so when you close the lid, there will be no way for excess water to get in the airbox and get on the filter. Pretty easy to do...
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:19 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

"What happens if I get caught driving in the rain?"

I believe Porsche actually tests the cars in the rain, and there's drains they designed in quite nicely. Mine P's have always worked fine in the rain. I observed the same soapy water today that you describe when i washed the car. Pretty normal.

i would briefly drive the car after a wash to keep the rotors from rusting however
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:26 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

I've verified on multiple occasions that the GT3 doesn't melt in the rain...even on the track. I haven't double-checked but I believe exposure to rain water doesn't void the warranty either...
Old 02-16-2004 | 01:30 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a bad detail shop to me. Don't they check the obvious areas for water seapage and so forth and clean it up?

Quick Reply: Water pooling after washing GT3