Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I buy the wrong shocks? (Pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Did I buy the wrong shocks? (Pic inside)

In my haste to score a good deal on some replacement shocks for my worn out oem units, I purchased a set of early generation Jrz shocks that had been revalved and converted into double adjustable units. They were represented to me as being from a 996 cup. I realized I would need a small spacer at the chassis in the back to fit these correctly, but I just noticed something that has me concerned about what I have purchased. I have never seen the circled welded-on bracket on any Gt3 variant shock bodies,variant, but recall those being present on regular 996 shock bodies. Will these fronts fit in the Gt3 upright with that bracket? Did I

unknowingly purchase regular 996 dampers? Ticked I didn’t catch this before I pulled the trigger. Tia.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

I would return these. They are a very old design dating from back when they used a rubber bushing in the rear pin mount. The welded mount is an added hack job not done by JRZ. What are the spring rates btw?
Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 385 Posts

Crap. 650 front 700 rear. Supposedly wicked set up on the prior owner’s track only 996. Revalved for this springs and resealed not long ago by stimola racing, per the seller. Returning them might not be easy unless I can show he misrepresented the application. Paid 950. I knew I wasn’t getting the latest and greatest, but I also wasn’t willing to drop five g’s or more. So, will these even fit without hacking off that bracket? Possible these were designed for a c2 instead?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:54 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Crap. 650 front 700 rear. Supposedly wicked set up on the prior owner’s track only 996. Revalved for this springs and resealed not long ago by stimola racing, per the seller. Returning them might not be easy unless I can show he misrepresented the application. Paid 950. I knew I wasn’t getting the latest and greatest, but I also wasn’t willing to drop five g’s or more. So, will these even fit without hacking off that bracket? Possible these were designed for a c2 instead?
Something doesn't sound right. 650 / 700 springs on a track only 996? That's more in line of what you'd run on a boxster. For a track only 996 you'd want 1000+ at a minimum. With a quality shocks 1400+. I'm running 1800 on my JRZ 3 ways. You have a can of worms on your hands. I'd cut my losses if I were you... Good luck...

Quick Reply: Did I buy the wrong shocks? (Pic inside)